sURL rating

MysteryFCM

sURL rating

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:15 pm

Ref:
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/surl.co.uk

Can you tell me which spam blacklist this appeared on please? (the domain is owned and ran by me, and is never used for e-mail or such) I've tried finding any blacklist it appears on, but have been unsuccessful.

MysteryFCM

Seems I've found the site

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Seems I've found the site thats blacklisted it, and it's blacklisted the sites IP, not the site itself. Alas requesting removal is going to be useless considering it's hosted by FastHosts, and they control whether it resolves to it's own PTR, or the FH generic PTR;
Your host is in a spammy netblock and has a missing, generic, or identical (non-unique) PTR record. These IP's are NOT eligible for removal until provisioned with a distinguishing PTR record. This is the most common reason for refusal of removal requests. Don't waste time requesting removal of IP's with generic or missing PTR records. Provide a distinguishing PTR record or configure your mail host to use your ISP's smart relay.
I tried submitting a removal request and received the following;
213.171.218.38 not eligible for removal: GENERIC PTR

Sami

Re: sURL rating

Post by Sami » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:47 pm

Actually, the domain was flagged by one of our private sources that looks for links that appear in spam. Our system doesn't consider the source very reliable, so it probably produces quite a few false positives.

I'm not sure why it's labeled as a "spam blacklist" though, we'll fix that tomorrow.

MysteryFCM

Can you e-mail me details on

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Can you e-mail me details on the flagged details please? (I like to disable sURL's that are used in spam).

logicman

Spammers use URL shortening services.

Post by logicman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:29 pm

I have just posted this in both WOT and SA:

Unfortunately, spammers can use a URL
shortening service, just like any of us.

They prefer to use these URLs so that
the blame for spam will tend to fall
on the URL-service site rather than the
actual spammer.

This site is clean.

Just be careful of the 'crazy' URL -
it may crash your browser - but not
in a maliceous way - just overload. :-)

I hope this helps.
:-)

MysteryFCM

hehe nice one, cheers :o) I

Post by MysteryFCM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:55 pm

hehe nice one, cheers :o)

I originally put the "Are you nuts!!!" option in there because none of the others had it. However, with the advent of IE7/IE8, the "crazy" URL's seem to crash the browsers, unlike IE6 .... so I've been pondering getting rid of it (it's not really useful anyway - just there for a laugh).

Unlike most of the others I'm aware of, I wrote sURL to display the URL the visitor will be taken to, along with it's inclusion status in hpHosts, MDL etc, and options to view it's SA report (and more recently, it's WOT report too). On top of, of course, the option to dissect the URL with my vURL service :o)