The best ZIP program is now FREE

Seattle John

The best ZIP program is now FREE

Post by Seattle John » Mon May 05, 2008 10:02 am

You read the title right. It's free, and it is not WinZip....it's better. First, a little history: way back in the '80's a guy named Phil Katz invented the ZIP format. It blew the socks off of every other compression utility around. Phil Katz (PK) named his program PKZIP. It was never sold, but offered as either free ware or shareware. Long story cut short...
he didn't register the name ZIP, nor did he patent the encryption algorithm. winZip saw the Windows market evolving and 'borrowed' his name/technology. Being somewhat of a techno-nerd, he was also into cryptography...hey numbers are numbers. He branched out into encryption software. He combined the two technologies into a product called Securezip. It is used by well over 100 US gov't agencies, including all branches of military, IRS, Neuc.Reg.Agcy, DofJ, etc,etc. He's making millions off of the govt (+ 60% of Fortune 100 Co.s), and being one of the original 'sharerware' guys he has put up an unpublicized site where you can download it for free:
pkwarecachefly.net/products/securezip/win/sz120018enf.exe.
Even if you're using WinZip, you should try it out. It has full blown 3DES and AES encryption + x.509 digital certs. with digital signatures and can Import/Export directly with MS Office and Outlook.
Try it out. It is a fully licensed retail version for FREE.
And, YES, back in the 80's I DID send my 'contribution' to the author of this program.

Sami

Re: The best ZIP program is now FREE

Post by Sami » Mon May 05, 2008 10:30 am

Any reason not to use [url=http://www.7-zip.org/ t=_self]7-Zip[/url] instead, which has a better compression algorithm and is open source too?

wehaveitall

Broken Link

Post by wehaveitall » Mon May 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Umm that link for PKzip is broken....

LoneWolf

i've been using Winrar for a

Post by LoneWolf » Mon May 05, 2008 4:25 pm

i've been using Winrar for a long llong time and im hardly going to switch to anything else since im a novice user and satisfied with the product and service.

Seattle John

Wht would I believe...

Post by Seattle John » Tue May 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Why would I believe it? Just go to securezip.com and see for yourself. It's still up, and still offering free licensed version. Do a whois on them and see it is a PKWARE site. And by the way, I'm out of meds.

Jared Gray

I Use IZARC...

Post by Jared Gray » Tue May 06, 2008 9:07 pm

I Use IZARC...

Peace
---------
Jared Gray

woova

apology

Post by woova » Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Oh, you *were* doing us a favor, by pasting the direct download link!
Above, as I read the URL, the dot (in pkwarecachefly) is missing... so I jumped to the conclusion that it was a scam.

So, please accept my apology & thanks for caring to share the info.

AnonymousSpecial

Spamming a link on the WOT

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Wed May 07, 2008 1:16 pm

Edit: The wall of text looked like spam to me but you are a regular so I forgive you.

Seattle John

No problem

Post by Seattle John » Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah, my typing sometimes omits a char. or two. Nice offer if someone wants to give it a try. Evaluate several without having to pay first. Quite a few bigger software companies are doing this, or offering 'Trial copies'. If you try before you buy, then you won't be bothering their help-desks demanding your $$$ back if you're not happy..
I don't blame you for being sceptical. I usually do a 'whois' before I download anything. There are a LOT of knock-off sites out there ! Beware.

PikadudeNo1

When I first saw the subject

Post by PikadudeNo1 » Thu May 08, 2008 12:57 am

When I first saw the subject line, I thought, "Huh? 7-Zip's always been free." :-)

7-Zip can be confusing for non-technical people, but if you can understand whatever it asks you, it's seriously powerful.