Trustpilot — A History of Review Fraud

A440

Trustpilot — A History of Review Fraud

Post by A440 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:10 am

Trustpilot is an example of a company, which having set its self up as a gatekeeper has become corrupt and sells ratings while providing protection to its paying clients by deliberately supressing negative reviews. Trustpilot is also used by third parties who sell both postive and negative reviews on Trustpilot, thus Trustpilot reviews are not to be trusted. The BBC reported in 2020 that Trustpilot harbored more than 2 million fake reviews on its platform, which it had to ultimately remove, however that has had no impact upon fake, farmed reviews.
See:
Fake five-star reviews being bought and sold online
www.bbc.com/news/technology-43907695
Trustpilot removed 2.2 million bogus reviews in 2020
www.bbc.com/news/technology-56100082

Trustpilot
Trustpilot has become so debased that reviews, both positive and negative are now openly sold through different sites, for just one example, (activelikes.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews/)

This one site further guarantees:
  • After placing the order you will get your 1st reviews within 24 hours
  • We have a professional writer. He will write content/text related to your business
  • We’ll give you a GEO targeted (real proxy) and different devices for each review.
  • We can provide reviews from the US, UK, CA, AU, EU, and more100+ countries
  • Old and Real looking profiles ( 90% photo attach and 10% without Photo Attach

active_Likes.png

Here is a preliminary list of sites which profit from creating fake Trustpilot reviews:
abmedia-team.com/trustpilotreviews
accbuzz.com
accfarm.com
activelikes.com
allrsp.com/product-category/reviews/
appsally.com
audiencegain.net/buy-trustpilot-reviews
babyfox.pro/services/trustpilot/buy-trustpilot-reviews
bestdigitalexpert.com
bestseotips.org
bignewsnetwork.com/news/272620605/buy-trustpilot-reviews-united-kingdom
bizgrowmore.com/product/trustpilot-reviews
bluejobpool.com
bluejobpool9.blogspot.com
boosbe.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews
buyamzreviewsvotes.com/buy-and-get-trustpilot-reviews-service
buyazreviews.com
buyforjump.com
buygmbreview.com/product/buy-trustpilot-review
buylikesfans.com
buylocalreviews.com
buynegativetrustpilotreviews.blogspot.com
buyrealmedia.com
buyreviewnow.com
buyreviewservice.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
buyserviceusa.com
buysocialpack.net/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
buytpreview.com
buytrust.reviews
buytrustpilotreview.com
buytrustpilotreviews0022.blogspot.com
buytrustpilotreviews76.blogspot.com
buytrustpilotreviews88.blogspot.com
buytrustpilotreviews909.blogspot.com
buyusaservices.com
buyviews.com
clickdo.co.uk/buy-trustpilot-reviews
clonehat.com/shop/buy-trustpilot-reviews
digitalagencyreseller.com/review-posting
eliteyelp5426.blogspot.com
excellentquality.review/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
getafollower.com
getreviews.buzz
googlefollower.com
goorapid.com
hippers.pro/services/trustpilot/buy-trustpilot-reviews
instafollowers.co
instamber.com
ivan-dailyloves.blogspot.com
jaders.pro/services/trustpilot/buy-trustpilot-reviews
littlesmm.com
mangocityit.com/service/buy-trustpilot-reviews
maxpro24.com
mediamister.com
monixel.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews
myreviews.shop
nondrop.reviews
oilchange234232.blogspot.com
onlineboostup.com
onlineearnsite123.blogspot.com
onlyreviewss.com/en/buy-negative-trustpilot-reviews
orderbulkreviews.com
plugviews.com/product/buy-trustpilot-3-star-reviews-5-positive-reviews-for-only-27-00/
premlike.com/en/blog/55-acheter-des-avis-trustpilot-pourquoi-et-quels-avantages
proitfirm.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews/
reivew.org
reviewexpress.net
reviewgg.com
reviewmylink.com
reviewrose.com
reviewshopusa.com
reviewstrack.com
seomaster24.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
seosmmsellar.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
sixerr.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews
smm-booster.com
smm420.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
smmbooster.org
smmboosters.com
smmreviewshop.com
smmservicebuy.medium.com
smmservicesbuy.com
smmservicesbuy994.blogspot.com
smmserviceusa.com
smmshop.com
smmshopusa.com
smmsmartmarket.com/services/buy-trustpilot-reviews
smmtopper.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
socialblast.co/en/product/buy-reviews-trustpilot
starjabber.com
thereviewseekers.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews.html
thesmmexpert.com
tpcheap.com
tpreviews.co.uk
tpreviews22.blogspot.com
usarealmarket.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
usdigitals.co/buy-trustpilot-reviews
usukservice.com
usukservice.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
webhelpz.com/product/buy-trustpilot-reviews
wpdevshed.com/buy-trustpilot-reviews
ytviews.in
Note: It is unlikely Trustpilot can actually do anything to prevent deliberately fake farmed reviews. They offer a verfied user option where a user's identity is verified by a third-party service (Veriff), however when I attempted to verify my identity, Veriff attempted to use my phone camera to take pictures of my ID however, their service was never able to properly access my phone camera to take photos of my ID. Further e-mails to Trustpilot support regarding this problem were unanswered.
Trustpilot claims that "welcomes legislation introduced with the aim of protecting consumers from fake reviews"and that it is "continually working to ensure we are taking appropriate action against attempts to manipulate reviews on our site", however the reality is very different.

One big problem with Trustpilot reviews is Review Gating is a method where sites can farm reviews, en mass, so as to flood Trustpilot site reviews with positive reviews:
Review Gating is the process of filtering customers before asking them to leave a review for your business. The aim is to encourage reviews from only those customers you believe had a positive experience with your company and request private feedback (or none at all) from those who had a negative experience.

Although Review Gating doesn’t entirely remove the possibility of negative comments, it can significantly reduce the ratio of negative to positive reviews. Over time, negative reviews are pushed deeper into the review feed, while the company’s Trustscore rating remains positive.

Most of the major review publishing platforms, including Trustpilot and Google, warn against this illegal practice in their guidelines but take little or no action against companies found to be in breach.

See: www.seotraininglondon.org/can-you-trust-trustpilot/
www.householdmoneysaving.com/is-trustpilot-reliable/

Trustpilot does not take action against such, in fact one review I placed on Trustpilot for jetbilpc.com, a notorious site which was banned from WOT for scorecard manipulation, the review was challenged by the site and trustpilot supported them — a paying Trustpilot customer — and banned my account, falsely claiming:
As part of our efforts to ensure that all Trustpilot reviews are genuine, we have customized software that detects unusual activity on our platform. In this case, our software has flagged that at least one of your reviews is likely to be spam. We take this very seriously, and have therefore blocked your user account and removed your reviews from our platform.
Thus the "unusual activity" Trustpilot detected was my negative review.

For background, jetbilpc.com claims on their site that "we are proud to have received the title of the most successful license reseller in United Kingdom as jetbilPC since 2019" which is false since this alleged company didn't have a website until 2022-03-13, and didn't register their business until July 2022.

A review of Trustpilot actions, as demonstrated through complaints to the Better Business Bureau in the United States, reveals that Trustpilot actively protects its paying clients against negative reviews by simply claiming that any evidence submitted by reviewers is not valid. Basically Trustpilot does whatever it wants to do, regardless of their TOS. I can attest to this since the same excuse was used to terminate my account with them.
See: www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/digital-marketing/trustpilot-inc-0121-149835/complaints

I invite all WOT members to rate Trustpilot accordingly:
https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/trustpilot.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spectre

Re: Trustpilot — A History of Review Fraud

Post by spectre » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:55 pm

A lot of companies are now basing their TV ads around TP ratings, along the lines of 'our customers trust us so much we have a 5* Trustpilot rating', and mentioning very little about their actual business.
Seeing this on any TV ad is actually making me avoid these companies, whether I know them or not. Whilst many of these companies may well be trustworthy, they must be incredibly naive to be giving TP free advertising (or are they getting discounted services???).
I will also avoid any company that has fake reviews.
I do have a TP account solely for reporting fake reviews, but it's a waste of time and I would like to close it. However I can't log in to do this, and the password reset links don't work.

All review sites including Wot are now completely pointless. They are either broken or manipulated, or consumers are too afraid to write negative reviews due to skewed litigation.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 am

spectre wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:55 pm
A lot of companies are now basing their TV ads around TP ratings, along the lines of 'our customers trust us so much we have a 5* Trustpilot rating', and mentioning very little about their actual business.
Seeing this on any TV ad is actually making me avoid these companies, whether I know them or not. Whilst many of these companies may well be trustworthy, they must be incredibly naive to be giving TP free advertising (or are they getting discounted services???).
I will also avoid any company that has fake reviews.
I do have a TP account solely for reporting fake reviews, but it's a waste of time and I would like to close it. However I can't log in to do this, and the password reset links don't work.

All review sites including Wot are now completely pointless. They are either broken or manipulated, or consumers are too afraid to write negative reviews due to skewed litigation.
Yes, all you have written is true.

Consider also the mountain of statements regarding trustpilot review fraud:

www.sitejabber.com/reviews/trustpilot.com

and

www.metro.co.uk/2022/07/28/facebook-google-and-trustpilot-overrun-by-fake-reviews-17084263/

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:05 pm

Trustpilot actually wrote back, claiming:
Your reviews have been removed from our platform and your profile blocked as we cannot verify their authenticity. If you send us documentation for just one of your experiences, we will assess whether there is enough basis to verify your reviews and reopen your profile.
However, as can be demonstrated from the examples linked to above, this would still not be enough and they would have covered their collective asses with this transmittal, thus I won't bother attempting to document anything I have filed with these conartists.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:46 am

I decided to test Trustpilot and sent them "evidence" as they requested, for just one of the sites I reviewed.
They wrote:
Joseph B (Trustpilot)
Aug 7, 2022, 10:31 GMT+2

Hi,

Thanks for providing us with documentation so we could verify your experience with .

Your review is now back online!
This is a generated form letter (they didn't even include the site name in their letter! It was left blank) and though they re-emplemented the review (positive review), they did not restore my account. Trustpilot is clearly sheltering fraudulent businesses which are paying clients (paying for trustpilot protection).

Trustpilot is a protection racket.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:04 am

Here is yet another current example of how unreliable Trustpilot reviews really are, from the Washington Post:
. . . The Post also contacted the review sites Yelp and Trustpilot about potentially fake reviews of "The Center" (rehabilitation). Yelp said its automated processes had previously “unrecommended” 40 reviews, which makes them less visible and prevents them from counting toward The Center’s overall rating. Trustpilot took down 73 posts it determined were fraudulent — about half of The Center’s reviews at the time.
Trustpilot claimed it vets reviews as being suspcious by their IP address, which is laughable since as seen in this thread, many review peddlers can easily get around this.

See: www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/06/04/fake-medical-reviews-google-zocdoc-trustpilot/

spectre

Post by spectre » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:18 pm

A440 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:04 am
Trustpilot claimed it vets reviews as being suspicious by their IP address, which is laughable since as seen in this thread, many review peddlers can easily get around this.
They don't block users with VPNs or Tor from using their site, and some 'companies' may have blocks of IPs which are unlikely blocked from TP.
Microworkers will also have varied IPs. How does their system detect Microworkers by IP?

What is their definition of 'suspicious' if they allow all of the above?

I would suggest that the Wot owners /staff look at some of the comments in this thread, as the devs have turned this site into a weird version of TP combined with a dangerous bot (ML :? ), and unacceptable levels of spam / fake reviews.

Wot & TP could both greatly reduce the issues with fake reviews if they really wanted to.
For example, forum accounts are repeatedly created from IPs which are blacklisted by BotScout (& other sites).
Firstly, It should only be possible to create one account / IP, not hundreds for one IP.
Secondly, it would be useful to implement a blacklist of IPs for account registration.
Also, if a mod bans an account it should automatically block further activity from this IP, and ban any rating account using this IP.

Registration of fake accounts on the rating site, & spam on scorecards is considerably higher than on the forum, as no-one monitors it; and staff don't ban spammers when they are reported.