Uniblue (again)

c۞g

re: Iobit

Post by c۞g » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

amishrabbit

Mixed feelings on the subject

Post by amishrabbit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:14 pm

For some context, I first saw their version of an enhanced task manager in 2003, back when it was just liutilities. I wasn't entusiastic, but it wasn't a bad product. Just not something I'd pay money for, when an almost-as-good free tool (Process Explorer) was available.

Then Uniblue bought the product and it went downhill. Mainly as a result of the marketing and promotion tactics Uniblue employs across its entire range of products.

Does Uniblue appear to overstate the risk of certain "detections" its products make on installed PCs? Definitely.

Does it lock you into the same traps that true Rogue Antivirus products do? Not even close.

Calling them a rogue company devalues the term "rogue" -- they are merely sleazy. It's not a good thing, but it's also not nearly as bad as Antivirus 2010, Security Tool, ad nauseum. These products are known to infect your master boot record, rootkit themselves to prevent removal, and engage in out-and-out fraud and deception.

I think Uniblue deserves the yellow donut. I also think Uniblue deserves a chance to defend themselves publicly about their company's behavior over the past 18 months, which has been shameful to say the least. I'd be very interested to read what they have to say about the subject.

-=A

Meat_Wagon

IObit is Stealing What?

Post by Meat_Wagon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 pm

I would guess if I were stupid enough to pay IObit any money, they may sell me a cyber-Edsel I would deserve. But when I scroll down the list of software clearing-house URL's from major.geeks to softpedia.com to download.cnet.com, downloads.zdnet.com, all the names we know so well I see the WOT green icon for IObit products on most of the larger sites, and a yellow one/two next to www.iobit.com, lower than good score on a few trust issues. I don't' trust 'em either when they promise the world at the end of scan..BUT only if I buy there product$$$. But they do more than just alert U to probs, ala Uniblue, there is a partial fix in IObit ware that does work without paying 4 anything and if it catches/destroys just 1 bad-news Trojan it is worth running. To date it has caught/killed many more than 1 that found it's way into my network.
Guess if I haven't paid them Jack to use the freeware they make and it IS catching/quarantining some evil virii that others with much more familiar names like McAfee or Trend miss I am not losing $'s just bugs using a product that does a whole better job than the arch villain of scareware: Uniblue, which finds ALL the problems, even finds ones that R not real problems (flushing *.tmp files), fixes nothing, freaks some into a Uniblue panic buy and is all over the place. Couple of good freeware utilities do a much better job of cleaning up messes, flushing the bugs & fixing screwy registries than pay-4-fixes ALL wizards. So what is I-OBIT-ware nicking? Let's stick to that enlightening 1-word statement made in this thread only & follow thru 'K? :-) If I use it I would like someone with more knowledge then my mere 1/4 century IT use to clue me in, honestly. Already figured-out by using it that IMHO Uniblue is the low end of the plethora of pay-4-fix progs.

M-W

Steven Avery

the bright side

Post by Steven Avery » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Folks,

Let us look at the bright side of the Uniblue fiasco. For the most part, you can quickly tell if a site or a journalist has integrity by whether or not they cut a $ deal with Uniblue.

e.g. GAOTD (giveaway of the day) recently enhanced their Uniblue aggressiveness, so they likely cut a bigger deal, letting their users get messed up.

The general rule of thumb - aggressive Uniblue positioning - the site is in it for the $, not the safety and security and health of the user's puters.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Jazspeak

it for the $

Post by Jazspeak » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:12 pm

It is an unfortunate fact of modern life that most businesses are in it for the money. Personally, I look forward to the day when everyone has the confidence to use Linux OS and open source software, thus removing all profit motives. Of course, it does cost time and money to develop software but I would favour donations rather than fixed prices, and if the software is any good then people will probably be quite happy to donate whatever they think it's worth or can afford. Then companies such as Uniblue will have to change their ways or disappear.

Meat_Wagon

Amen!

Post by Meat_Wagon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:55 pm

WOW Steven Avery & Jazspeak, SABOT round just burnt thru the Uniblue armor-plating & hit dead-center of their scam$.
Nice Post.

M_W