Why is my hosting provider rated badly? (kattare.com)

MagicDude4Eva

Why is my hosting provider rated badly? (kattare.com)

Post by MagicDude4Eva » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm

I don't understand the current ratings (and the lack of comments on the scorecard also don't help).

Look at the scorecard: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/kattare.com

I have been hosting quite a few websites through them and Kattare was one of the first companies which could assist me with relatively inexpensive Tomcat hosting (that was a good 5-6 years back).

Although the look and feel of the site is very basic, it targets more the tech-savvy user (i.e. no Plesk control panel - mostly command line setup with a very few basic web-based utilities) and I would doubt that someone wanting to host a Wordpress blog would host it there.

As I am fairly new to WOT, I would like to understand the ratings from the senior WOT members please.

Just a guess

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 am

@ MagicDude4Eva,

My guess . . . mind you, just a guess . . . I could be wayyyy off . . . is that there are some disgruntled users that have rated poorly because of their poor experiences. Stating the obvious, but hosting companies are particularly vulnerable to this.

Let me explain. I recently made a switch of hosting companies. In doing my due diligence one of the things I took a look at were the ratings by users ( http://www.besthostratings.com/ ).

The rating system consisted of simply giving a grade from 1 to 10, 10 being the best and of course 1 being the worst.

Some 90%+ of the ratings were 10 out of 10. But now and then there was a clunker in there that gave a 1 rating, and those users gave horror stories about lack of support, excessive down-time, etc.

My point is their rating explanations were basically rants. I would have maybe given them more credence if the details they included were not in direct contrast with the details of the good raters. For example, that 90%+ rated service very highly, while the poor raters said service was abominable.

My only conclusion is that either the poor raters were lying (unlikely) or else they got a support person that for some reason they didn't like, or didn't like the answer (more likely). And the poor ratings for downtime definitely flew in the face of established statistics . . . I have no idea how to explain that one except that maybe the raters were so pissed off they thought they'd take a whack at this too.

But looking at these rants, I could see that for whatever reason these people were really pissed off.

And that's what I mean when I say that hosting companies are particularly vulnerable to poor ratings for poor experiences (perceived, that is). Nothing pisses you off more than when your host doesn't perform as you expect. I mean, a lot of people's livelihood's are wrapped up in their host, and when the host screws up it could have a negative impact on your income. What could piss you off more?

I'm not saying kattare is a "bad" host, just speculating that a lot of those pissed off people might have had more of the weight in ratings. (BTW, I couldn't find kattare listed on http://www.besthostratings.com/ ).

I noticed that "Vendor Reliability" was red, while "Trustworthiness" was yellow. This may support my speculation that it was some pissed of kattare users that had trouble with this "Vendor". The reliability of the ratings (human torso icons) is also something to consider.

Another possibility for the poor rating is that maybe folks that aren't very "tech savvy" tried to use kattare and found it not to meet their expectations.

mamtalatesh

i cant found any thing bad

Post by mamtalatesh » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:14 am

i cant found any thing bad on your site so i have rated u green

MagicDude4Eva

Thanks for your input. I

Post by MagicDude4Eva » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:04 am

Thanks for your input. I think your guess might be correct. I would however thought that someone with a bad customer experience would rate the site with comments.

I am also surprised that they did not feature in the normal hosting-rating sites (I did find reviews on [url=http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPReviewView?id=33 t=_self]Servlets.com[/url]). Perhaps the reason for the lack of visibility is their specialization on Java/Servlet/Tomcat-hosting.

BTW: I am using Kattare for my personal blog (not for our company hosting) and am in no ways affiliated with them. I was just concerned about the rating and how this could possibly affect my blog (if their IP neighborhood goes down, so would my blog ratings).

----
[url=http://www.bidorbuy.co.za t=_self]bidorbuy.co.za[/url] - Africa's largest online market-place

Provider should solve themselves.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:02 am

IMO : Maybe I,m completely wrong in saying this, correct me in that case. But if a provider has a bad rating, should you care ?
That,s their concern to worry about. Or does it harm you in some way ?
Your site is rated good, that,s the most important.

Later edited : Watched the scorecard mentioned in the OP and thought : "Huh, what,s happening here, rating = yellow and additional comments all green. Funny ! Has there been some ratings in the past in red or so ?
I should warn Sami if this harms you or if you feel this should be corrected.

peterbosch - "Wotting" below sea level, safe (?) behind a "Dutch mountain", to create a better internet.

Kattare

My first WOT experience :)

Post by Kattare » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi all.

Ethan B, President, Kattare, INC here. Thanks for shooting me the email MagicDude. I'd never heard of WOT before. It's a pretty nice setup. I like that I can rate sites, etc, right from the browser bar.

Regarding the ratings for www.kattare.com. I suspect there are some troubled hosts out there going site to site leaving poor ratings. Times are tough and it's hard for some to make ends meet. It's frustrating, but without some kind of authentication going on, that just seems to be one of WOT's weaknesses.

@ BobJam, We're not on a lot of hosting sites. We're a relatively small host and we specialize in Java hosting. "Relatively small" meaning we have our own 5,000 sqft facility, but not a 50,000 sqft one, and we're not just renting servers out of another facility like the majority of our java hosting competitors are. (yeah, I've done the research, heh.) In any case... our marketing strategy is more word of mouth than it is to plug ourselves on every directory we can find. 99% of the places you do find reference to us, we're there because our clients have put us there, much like MagicDude has done here.

@ Celex, Not sure how we can fix this... I'm certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that our privacy and child safety ratings should be through the roof. The trustworthiness and vendor reliability are more subjective, and like any host, we do have unexpected outages occasionally.

Cheers.

-----
Kattare Internet Services / http://www.kattare.com / 1.877.KATTARE

MagicDude4Eva

IMO : Maybe I,m completely

Post by MagicDude4Eva » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 pm

IMO : Maybe I,m completely wrong in saying this, correct me in that case. But if a provider has a bad rating, should you care ?
That,s their concern to worry about. Or does it harm you in some way ?

I am not sure if it would hurt me (other than if bad sites are hosted on the hosting company). Should I care? - I believe so - I have been hosting with them for the last 8 years and always received excellent service. So either something was happening to the company, which I was not aware of, causing the bad ratings or people rated the site with other (not so honest intentions).

Be it as it may, I did contact Kattare and they have posted a commented on the scorecard. I would do the same for any other honest business out there - it just did not feel right when I initially saw the ratings, but now the scorecard is closely coming back to where it should be.

----
[url=http://www.bidorbuy.co.za t=_self]bidorbuy.co.za[/url] - Africa's largest online market-place

Sami

Re: My first WOT experience :)

Post by Sami » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:16 pm

The users who rated the site poorly [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Reputations_are_easy_to_manipulate t=_self]were not your competitors[/url], but since they chose not to leave comments, I'm not going to speculate why they didn't consider the site trustworthy. Still, they are entitled to their opinions like everyone else.

mentalist3d

Welcome to Wot

Post by mentalist3d » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Ethan

welcome to WOT, if you have been rated unfairly, since a rating has been requested by MagicDude, other members will look at your site and provide feedback, suggestions and rate accordingly, so if there is nothing wrong with the site, your mis-ratings will be corrected over the next few days.

I noticed you have a perceived weakness of the WOT system, if you have a look at the WOT wiki it does balance itself out, not every system is 100 percent perfect though. Not 1 person can change the rating of a site though, it would have to take a few ratings from other people and even then ratings are balanced out by WOT levels, a gold member will have more rating influence than a silver member and so on.

I'm about to have my tea, but after it I will take a good look at your site and rate accordingly and post any feedback

Kattare

Sami, Thank you for weighing

Post by Kattare » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Sami,

Thank you for weighing in.

I read through that wiki page.

I have to admit, I remain skeptical. If reputation based systems were foolproof, I wouldn't have spam in my inbox.

I also agree that everyone is entitled to their opinions, tho I remain curious as to how "Child Safety" could have been in the red for us...

Cheers.

-----
Kattare Internet Services / http://www.kattare.com / 1.877.KATTARE