Wiki answers good?

Spottedleafeh

Wiki answers good?

Post by Spottedleafeh » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 pm

I decided to look at the reviews of this site.
I see malware, viruses, etc.
Does it mean that when you click on the site you get them?
Urgh, I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. Dx

The Big Bin

-

Post by The Big Bin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:12 am

Hi,

welcome to WOT. If a site contains malware etc. that means that it's hidden somewhere on that site. E.g., if you download something you might get it.

Many sites also try to give you malware by just entering it, and that's why it is very important to have a modern, secure browser which prevents that from happening (e.g., if you're still using Internet Explorer 6, you might want to consider upgrading it).

--
Per aspera ad astra

phantazm

"this site"..?

Post by phantazm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:14 am

"this site" is somewhat vague, but I guess that you meant you question in an more general sense. If not, let us know what the domain is...

"Does it mean that when you click on the site you get them?"

If you're not protected, then: yes, most likely. And you may not even be aware that your pc has been infected; modern vira tend to hide themselves, without disturbing the surface.

Having some kind of anti-virus is a must - but before you chose one, be aware that there are a growing amount of fake AV out there. So check their reputation before you download anything...

Another security risk is not obvious at all: software not updated. This also includes your operating system, your browser and other programs that was already present when you got the pc. Here's a quick (and free) check to see if you have any security holes (and most likely you have at least one): http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/securit ... lth-check/

PS: And welcome to WOT...

Spottedleafeh

Thanks for replying to this.

Post by Spottedleafeh » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks for replying to this. My browser is extremely protected at the moment, loaded with stuff like Flashblock, Adblock Plus, Noscript, and WOT.
Thank you.

phantazm

You're welcome

Post by phantazm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:18 pm

Btw, RequestPolicy is also a nice addition to FF...