WOT google group rated red?

The Big Bin

WOT google group rated red?

Post by The Big Bin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:36 am

Hi there,

finally finding a way to sign up for the google group, I got to this page: http://www.mywot.com/de/scorecard/mywot.googlegroups.com

As you can see, it's yellow in 3 categories.

Furthermore, the reputation is inherited from googlegroups.com which is rated red in all 4 categories.

WOT Google

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:56 am

Yes I have just checked it out.I think its the google groups themselves that are rated and not WOT but it might put some folks of though.Its rated bad on a lot of categories.Trouble is if you rate it good are you rating wehaveitalls google group or google groups in general.

Athlonite

Inherited ???

Post by Athlonite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:56 pm

I think Sami said that the sub domains inherit the parent's rating. I still don't think that this is right no matter what the stickies say . I believe that a site should be rated according to it's own content . Finjan and SiteAdvisor do the same thing. This is not right IMO. This will give a bad rap to a site that otherwise would be able to help or inform you . This is MY belief and if you can change my opinion on this matter i would be more than enchanted to hear your arguments.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

Sami

Re: Inherited ???

Post by Sami » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:32 pm

sub domains inherit the parent's rating

Yes, they initially inherit the parent domain's reputation. When there are enough ratings for a subdomain, the parent's reputation no longer affects it.

I believe that a site should be rated according to it's own content

They are.

This will give a bad rap to a site that otherwise would be able to help or inform you

This will also help in cases where a someone buys a domain and uses random subdomains for criminal purposes.

In the googlegroups.com case, the reputation seems to be poor, because;
  1. The service is frequently abused by scammers, which means there are tons of poorly rated subdomains.
  2. Few people rate the googlegroups.com domain, because it redirects visitors to groups.google.com.

Athlonite

My Point ...

Post by Athlonite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Hey Sami !!
Thanks for restoring me! My point is , if you happen to surf to a site that inherits a bad rating and you see a RED warning sign , you're not going to stay there long enough to make sure that it is safe to explore , thus either , no rating or another bad rating because of the inheritance. This would be a very long process . It would take a Gray circle for us to rate it's own contents. This is how I see it and if you can offer a good counter argument , I would appreciate it. I don't want to change the way you do things but, this is like branding the son of a criminal as a criminal also.
What do you think ?

Athlonite.

Sami

Re: My Point ...

Post by Sami » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:11 pm

you're not going to stay there long enough to make sure that it is safe to explore

On the other hand, if someone comes across an unrated subdomain owned by a phishing gang, they might just fall for the scam.

this is like branding the son of a criminal as a criminal also

No, it's like saying that people who hang out with criminals are most likely equally trustworthy unless proven otherwise. Or that the probability of getting mugged by a stranger depends on the neighborhood.

Athlonite

I can see your....

Post by Athlonite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I can see your point in the first explanation but , they fall prey anyways !

As for the second one , You are just repeating what I just said in a different sentence.
This is more like being found guilty before the trial. Not convincing. You're going to have to do better than that,

Athlonite.

Sami

Re: I can see your....

Post by Sami » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 pm

they fall prey anyways

Then what's the point of ever warning them?

This is more like being found guilty before the trial

It's not, because the owner of the parent domain controls all the subdomains. If the parent domain is owned by a criminal, then so are all the subdomains.

In this case, if the owner of the parent domain lets scammers abuse the service, then the reputation of the whole domain suffers. And again, this still applies only to unknown sites.

Athlonite

OK..

Post by Athlonite » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 pm

I guess my signature holds true.

"Then what's the point of ever warning them?"

In hopes that some will listen.

Then, the obvious question would be "Can they adequately regulate the sub domains?". My answer would be , they cannot , otherwise , sites like WOT would not be needed.

Thanks Sami.

Athlonite.

wehaveitall

Back to green

Post by wehaveitall » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks for finding this flyaqua, the rating is now green.

A big thank you to all the WOT staff