WOT not blocking website or giving warning?

Security_Wiz

WOT not blocking website or giving warning?

Post by Security_Wiz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Hi,

Recently I went to answers.com (I used the Firefox part on the top right corner) and it redirected me to a website called "answers.shopping.com." I looked at it's ratings, and trust was between yellow to light green, same with child safety, but vendor reliability and privacy were red- yellow. It gave me no warning like I had configured WOT to do. And it wasn't a script on that site, since I have an updated version of NoScript and an Ad-Blocker. So, can someone please tell me why it didn't block the site, and why the site is rated badly and if I now have a virus (running on Mac with NAV 11.0, Firefox 3.0).

Great job with WOT, guys!

Sami

Re: WOT not blocking website or giving warning?

Post by Sami » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:38 pm

The add-on won't warn you if the confidence for a rating is below threshold. This reduces the number of false warnings when the site's rating is based only on few user ratings, for example. And since you're using Firefox+NoScript on a Mac, I'd say the chances of getting a virus from any website is pretty low.

Security_Wiz

But it wasn't, because I

Post by Security_Wiz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:28 pm

But it wasn't, because I told it to block all red websites, but that website was red (or at least it was an hour ago).

Okay, thanks. By the way, thanks for replying so quickly!

Sami

Re: But it wasn't, because I

Post by Sami » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 pm

I was talking about confidence, the small human figures next to the rating. There's a confidence threshold in the add-on, which isn't configurable. If the add-on thinks the confidence for a rating is too low, it won't warn you even if the rating is poor.

logicman

Re: answers.com

Post by logicman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:21 am

answers.com, formerly Gurunet is a partner with shopping.com

Shopping.com is owned by ebay.

References / sources:
http://sec.edgar-online.com/2006/03/20/0001144204-06-010765/Section37.asp
http://ir.answers.com/ >>> investor relations (see foot of home page)
http://archive.thestandard.com/internetnews/003081.php

Security_Wiz

Oh, okay. Thanks, Sami. Oh,

Post by Security_Wiz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:19 am

Oh, okay. Thanks, Sami.

Oh, and thanks for those links, Logicman.

Security_Wiz

Just two more questions

Post by Security_Wiz » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:39 am

Hi,

When searching "Symantec" in google, I found many sponsor links that I knew were bad, but there were no ratings on them. Yesterday, when I searched "Symantec" in Yahoo, the ratings for them were red. So after that, I searched it in yahoo, made sure it was the same sponsor links, and sure enough, they were WAY different. In google, it made those sponsor links look trustworthy.

Also, when loading any page, while loading, it says "Chrome:WOT" and several numbers. Is WOT retrieving data about the website, or something else?

Sami

Re: Just two more questions

Post by Sami » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:49 am

If the sponsored links go through a third-party redirection service, the ratings shown in search results aren't for the final destination site, but for the redirection service.

The "loading" page is shown only if you have blocking enabled in the settings. If blocking is enabled, the add-on needs to fetch ratings for the site before loading it.

Security_Wiz

Thanks!

Post by Security_Wiz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:30 am

Okay, thanks!

However, I think my WOT is faulty or something. I just clicked a link to a dangerous webpage and it didn't say anything. It had a 12 in VA. It was securesites.net or something. However, I got the link from a trusted site and they have a webpage on the securesites server, so I should be fine. I think...

I got it from a ClamXAV forum (trusted anti-virus) and millions of people use the poorly rated webpage.