Xenu.net contains offensive information about Scientology (like it's criminal and dangerous and stuff)! Why isn't it red??

Religion and politics

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Reminds me of a similar argument a time back.I think you said then Bobjam that if someone wants to believe in leprechauns its there choice.On wich I agrea.But the obverse is if someone does not want to believe in leprechauns or scientology that is also personal choice.We may go against downright lies but scientology like all religions cannot be proven.So if someone says its rubbish it is just another opinion because he or she is not lying.We cannot censor opinion or a lot of sites would turn red.

phantazm

Religion as religion is ok with me...

Post by phantazm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 pm

cod head: "We may go against downright lies but scientology like all religions cannot be proven..."

If scientology presented it self only as religion, I would not protest.
But it does mascarade as science. Even the name itself tries to sound scientific...

Science and religion are two very different worlds. After all, knowledge and belief are not identical. And usually the difference is obvious enough. But if they get mixed up, we're in trouble...

Religion is o.k.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:34 pm

If I am to give my personal opinion scientology is a load of baloney.I think what they believe in is crackpot.But that is my opinion.I am sure Tom Cruise would disagrea with me.I have voted Xenu green because they are entitled to there beliefs.But I do not think I can vote scientology red allthough perhaps I would like to.That is the point I am making.

Relation to WOT?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:18 pm

What does an opinion about Scientology have to do with WOT?

While I may agree with phantazm and cod head's opinions, my own views about Scientology really don't have anything to do with WOT.

I think cod head hit the nail on the head when he said "I do not think I can vote scientology red allthough perhaps I would like to".

Bonsai Rosebushes

Great idea

Post by Bonsai Rosebushes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:29 pm

Please can you program a new customised version of WOT with special settings for religious bigots, people who are offended by shoes, philosophers with a strong aversion to postmodernism and so forth. Like, just tick the box and all the views you don't agree with will just disappear!

(sarcasm)

phantazm

Offensive information..?

Post by phantazm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:02 pm

I agree that religous views don't make sense here. If a 'belief' could be verified, it wouldn't be a 'belief' but a 'fact'. And therefore there are tons of differing religious views. But, that is really peoples own business, imo.

It's also a matter of taste, and that's varied. So I don't think "offensive information" should be a factor at all. After all, my offence might be your deligth, or vice versa. Let's stick to basics, like: a phish is a phish is a phish...!

phantazm

Leprechauns

Post by phantazm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:09 pm

cod head: "if someone wants to believe in leprechauns its their choice..."

Indeed, leprechaun-beliefs are their own choise. However, if a site offers to sell you one, it would still have to 'deliver the goods'. Or be labelled a fraud and a scam...

Beaten to death

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:14 am

Maybe a community of ALL Scientologists, or shoe haters, would think differently.. But this community is NOT all Scientologists or shoe haters!!!!

I think the consensus here is that religious views are WAY out of WOT's purview. So . . . sorry, giraffes, but the fact that Xenu.net may insult your religious views, while offensive to you maybe, is NOT sufficient for the community to rate it red. I think this topic has worn itself out.

Good sarcasm and absurdity BTW.

Reprotected

Is it malicious

Post by Reprotected » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:12 am

Well, ask yourself these questions:
1. Is the website dangerous?
2. Does it contain adult content?
3. Did you find any fraudulent scams?
4. Does this website contain illegal content (crack files, key generators, free music)?

Just MyWOT and SpywareBlaster, I guess...

phantazm

Yaah

Post by phantazm » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Sure, I'd look forward to click a category titled "Fraud, scam, phishing, shoes"... ;-)

(absurdism)