Xenu.net contains offensive information about Scientology (like it's criminal and dangerous and stuff)! Why isn't it red??

soran

Scientology status in Germany

Post by soran » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi folks ,
In Germany the Scientology church is under observed by the "Verfassungsschutz" [url=http://www.verfassungsschutz.de/en/index_en.html t=_self]Verfassungsschutz"[/url] which is a organization to protect the german bill of rights and collect informations about these groups there intension it is to break this basic rights like ultra right wing party's since 10 years. Several lamentations from this organisation against this organisation turned down by german high court. Scientology is in germany in the critics because of there methods to win new parishioners and what will happen with people who are trying to leaf this church. Scientology church is not forbidden but still under observation.
You can find the last anual report [url=http://www.verfassungsschutz.de/en/en_publications/annual_reports/ t=_self]here[/url].
Generally we are here in the area to rate the interlectual content of a website. This is endless and useless discussion. My rating would be something like yellow or red for adult content to give the user a tip that this page should be properly reviewed by an adult before children are getting access to this web page. My be the ratiing should have here something like "religious content" in grey to mark these sites but without any positive of negative rating.

Soran

The Big Bin

Yep

Post by The Big Bin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Yes, I think that's what it is here in Germany.

AnonymousSpecial

Xenu.net is a site

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Xenu.net is a site criticising scientology, not promoting it. I think it is exercising freedom of speech rather than hate speech.

wehaveitall

Exactly

Post by wehaveitall » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Rob is exactly right. You cannot rate a website differently because you disagree with the author's views, even if it is a bit harsh. If you feel they are lying, you can rate trustworthiness accordingly, but as far as I can tell, they aren't. WOT is not an add-on to express one's political or religious ideals, but to reveal websites that are literately trying to harm you, steal from you, lie to you, or are not appropriate for children. For example, even If a person is the exact opposite political view, and religion of you, does that make them a dangerous person to be around? No.

I'm very sorry to hear you were offended by the website. I encourage you to rate the trustworthiness section based on how accurate you feel to be. You are also welcome to leave comments if you feel it is offensive. But the rating is not going to change because of one's beliefs.

WOT ROCKS!

Exactly Wot

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:04 pm

If we go rating sites on our personal beliefs the first thing that will happen is the number of red sites will double.The second thing will be that wot will lose all credability.I often come across sites that I may find are personaly offensive,but that does not make them dangerous.If I find my finger hovering toward orange or red simply because I do not agrea with it I will decide to leave no comment or rating at all.I will vote against lies,hatred,racism etc.But our own preferances should not come into it.We should vote without fear or favour.

phantazm

Opinion + Product = ?

Post by phantazm » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Still one crusial difference between scientology and Xenu.net (+ other critics). The first has opinions and also push a product. The second, Xenu and alike, does not, as far as I know...?

SeanW

What is the OPs problem?

Post by SeanW » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:09 pm

The purpose of WOT is to advise people about the technical safety of websites and their trustworthiness, i.e. viruses, browser hijacks, scams etc. Everything else should be green.

The only exceptions I and most others would make, would be sites that are violent or hateful, such as Stormfront, GodHatesFags (Westboro Baptist 'Church') and so on.

Too many religions in this world can't stand criticism and Scientology is one of the worst. It is quite right and proper that WOT rates Xenu.net in the way that it does.

phantazm

Even worse...?

Post by phantazm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:19 pm

SeanW: "Too many religions in this world can't stand criticism
and Scientology is one of the worst."

Maybe there just too many candidates, but at least here's one: godhatestheworld.com

At least these fanatics are somewhat impartial; they hate everybody and everything.
Even their own country is considered 'doomed', and irreversible too...

Good grief! Thank god I'm an atheist...

The Big Bin

Re:

Post by The Big Bin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm

Thank god I'm an atheist...

That sentence is conflicting itself in a way... ;-)

phantazm

Re 2

Post by phantazm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Thank dog I'm an absurdist...