335.org.uk

vinnie456

RE: 335.org.uk

Post by vinnie456 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 pm

OK this flame war has to stop....

Scientific Frontline:

Regarding your personal opinions behind any of the armed forces is completely up to you, obviously locality favors highly towards either area. This however it does not effect my website or this forum thread. If you disagree then please message me and i will retract this statement.

Jazspeak:

I much appreciate your views and glad an old member of the ATC has viewed and voted for my site. I'm also glad you have taken good memories away with you, it is people like you who we need to come back and help teach the cadets on the "good old days!"

Umbrella Corp:

Many Thanks for your comments and voting on my website. I can easily tell you are very neutral and extremely useful within the WOT community.

Last time i reviewed this forum was for review requests, not a flame war! I don't want my website to be viewed within WOT as causing this argument. I'm sure there is a time and place for the last few comments that was placed. But I highly doubt the WOT forum is it.

Many thanks all of you and if you disagree with what I have requested then please message me.

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 pm

@ Jazz
Still a Troll as always I see.

@ vinnie456
You have no clue. Welcome to WoT.

Post by Guest » Tue May 17, 2011 12:29 am

@Scientific Frontline

Something tells me I just smashed into the walls of "Destiny". Am I correct?
If, please accept my apology. I just wanted to protect the innocent... needless in your case as I must admit now.
*bows down towards a legend*

@ vinnie456

Don't get confused by some of these people talking strong to each other like they're playing a goofy cyber-rugby game. There's a lot of personal pushing in there that's more peaceful as it may seem at first sight. ;)

Post by Guest » Tue May 17, 2011 5:10 am

No I don't hate Jazz.
We just have a tendency to push each others buttons a lot.
It's a love hate relationship. I love to hate him. ~smiles~

But if he is right in a matter, I will be one of the first to back him up; of course he is never right so not hanging around for that moment to come either.

Done

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat May 21, 2011 7:46 am

I've never heard of a judge using military recruitment as an alternative punishment for petty crime. The jails are too full for most petty crime to get anything but probation anyway, so a stint in the military wouldn't look like an attractive alternative. The military is pretty picky about accepting people with records, too.

What may have been causing confusion is privately run military-style boarding schools being alternative placements for juveniles whose parents can't handle them. If those kids get themselves together and their juvenile record is sealed at age 18, I suppose they might be accepted into the regular military then.

Parents in the US and the UK seem to have very different attitudes toward boarding schools -- most US parents would never consider sending their children to boarding school unless the kids were totally incorrigible or the parents were totally self-absorbed. (My grandmother used to threaten me with it when I misbehaved as a child, in fact.) In the computer game The Sims, your children get sent to boarding school when you totally screw up managing your family. But in the UK, even the royal family sends their children to boarding schools.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Sat May 21, 2011 11:58 am

<quote user="alphacentauri">
I've never heard of a judge using military recruitment as an alternative punishment for petty crime. The jails are too full for most petty crime to get anything but probation anyway, so a stint in the military wouldn't look like an attractive alternative. The military is pretty picky about accepting people with records, too.

What may have been causing confusion is privately run military-style boarding schools being alternative placements for juveniles whose parents can't handle them. If those kids get themselves together and their juvenile record is sealed at age 18, I suppose they might be accepted into the regular military then.

Parents in the US and the UK seem to have very different attitudes toward boarding schools -- most US parents would never consider sending their children to boarding school unless the kids were totally incorrigible or the parents were totally self-absorbed. (My grandmother used to threaten me with it when I misbehaved as a child, in fact.) In the computer game The Sims, your children get sent to boarding school when you totally screw up managing your family. But in the UK, even the royal family sends their children to boarding schools.

[/quote]

I first met the recipients of that judicial practice in the 1980s when they were based at R.A.F St. Mawgan, and they were guarding the US Navy section located there. It is possible, even probable, that the practice has since been discontinued. However, if you think that the US military is "pretty picky about accepting people with records" then I refer you to the link to a Reuters report that I gave earlier in this thread.

Most parents in the UK have similar attitude towards boarding schools as you have described. Much of the aristocracy favour boarding schools because it is a long-standing culture that trains the children for life as aristocrats, diplomats, and politicians, added to which schools such as Eton are a way of keeping the plebs out of the top jobs where it is more a matter of who you know rather than what you know.

Edit: Spelling correction.