rpgcrossing.com

NotBuyingIt

the two meanings of snap judgements (this is veering off topic)

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 pm

<quote user="bethathena">
Erm, I hope that you have better ways to restore a proper reputation rating than hoping trolls will have an epiphany and suddenly become good people.
[/quote]

You know? Sometimes it isn't clear who the trolls are, and who the good people are.

<snap/>

idilippy

RE: the two meanings of snap judgements (this is veering off top

Post by idilippy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:16 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
You know? Sometimes it isn't clear who the trolls are, and who the good people are.

<snap/>
[/quote]

That is certainly a point to take into consideration, sometimes it is rather difficult to determine between a subtle troll and a person with a legitimate concern. That said, when a comment literally is: "spamming spammers spamming spamtraps
snowshoe [p]" I would hope that maybe it would be a little bit of an indication of trollish behavior going on. I could be wrong, that could actually be intelligent human speech and the poster could be making a well reasoned and evidence backed argument with that post and I just missed something.

And maybe it is possible that a legitimate human being has made 2.5 million reviews in less than 3 years (roughly two reviews per minute continuously for 3 years). That could explain the short and seemingly nonsensical comment. Going without sleep for 3 years straight while fully reviewing and then entering comments and ratings for 2 websites every minute during that time would be an incredible strain. Coping with such a strain would likely drive a person to desperate measures, perhaps even to the creation of another incredibly shortened language so that the comments can be posted within the incredibly short time frame allowed by the grueling schedule, a language which only appears to be trolling gibberish to us less evolved internet users.

jcamacho

RE: rpgcrossing.com

Post by jcamacho » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 pm

Just thought it important to point out that NotBuyingIt is a moderator not WoT staff...dont think he gets paid either.

I was in a situation like this one except mine was much much worse. My site was a business and almost all of my clients had WoT because I installed it on their computer. Only a few people helped me...many of them did further damage because I posted without a privacy policy. Out of the few people that helped me NotBuyingIt helped me the most so hes most certainly one of the good guys.

BethAthena

Post by BethAthena » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh, wow. Glad he came through for you. And glad to hear that there are some effective methods in place for dealing with this sort of thing, too.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:26 pm

@ site owner
Your site is running an outdated vBullettin version
see: http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/?scan=rpgcrossing.com
warn: vBulletin version outdated: Upgrade required.

An outdated software is a vulnerable software
You may want to fix it a.s.a.p

I decline to rate at this time

RPGX

Post by RPGX » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:47 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
@ site owner
Your site is running an outdated vBullettin version
see: http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/?scan=rpgcrossing.com
warn: vBulletin version outdated: Upgrade required.

An outdated software is a vulnerable software
You may want to fix it a.s.a.p

I decline to rate at this time
[/quote]

"festina lente (hurry slowly)" is your signature -- it is important to take the time to evaluate changes carefully. We are not running stock vBulletin code, and must make changes at a pace which allows us to change our own code in the best ways that we know how. In fact, due partially to security concerns, we will likely move from vBulletin to another vendor's software in the medium term.

Unrelated to the previous poster, I have to say that I am very surprised by the small but noticeable number of 'thumbs down' ratings appearing beside the comments our long time users are making on the site in our 'scorecard'. This is a diverse collection of long time users who know the site well. I'm confused as to what the objection to their comments might be -- this thread might not be the best place (or maybe it is? I'm new at this site), but if you'd care to message me here to let me know what the problem is, I'm interested in knowing what I'm missing.

graeylin

No longer using App

Post by graeylin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:39 am

It has become clear to me that a program that I should trust for rating websites is not trustworthy itself, if it allows a single person/account to make over 2.5 million reviews in 3 years. That is a huge, glaring problem that needs to be resolved before I can trust what the "votes" tell me here. Bias, I can filter through. Someone spamming millions of votes, I can't.

I have disabled and removed this app from my computer, thanks to Gurbl, his actions, and the response of WOT.

RPGX

Post by RPGX » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:53 am

Additional data from major rating services that find no problem with the site:
https://urlquery.net/report.php?id=5031420
https://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=rpgcrossing.com

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:39 am

IP 198.143.133.202 ([url=http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/198.143.133.202 t=_self]scorecard[/url]) where rpgcrossing.com is hosted, is rated "green" (clean of spam), according to the following report
https://isc.sans.edu/ipinfo.html?ip=198.143.133.202

I have not examined the site, so I have not formed an opinion of it or rated it.

idilippy

Post by idilippy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:36 am

<quote user="jcamacho">
Just thought it important to point out that NotBuyingIt is a moderator not WoT staff...dont think he gets paid either.

I was in a situation like this one except mine was much much worse. My site was a business and almost all of my clients had WoT because I installed it on their computer. Only a few people helped me...many of them did further damage because I posted without a privacy policy. Out of the few people that helped me NotBuyingIt helped me the most so hes most certainly one of the good guys.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right, my snarky response wasn't really helpful and it isn't NotBuyingIt's fault what WOT does or doesn't do to curb trolling and false spam accusations.