whitesmoke.com

karenwhite

whitesmoke.com

Post by karenwhite » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:18 am

Site URL: http://whitesmoke.com
Scorecard: View scorecard

Introduction:
WhiteSmoke is a world-leading company in the field of English writing and translation technologies with products that are aimed at enhancing, editing and correcting English texts.
Our products are sold in over 70 countries worldwide and our website is Trust-E approved.

We would like our site re-evaluated as we believe that the current evaluation is out-of-date and incorrect.

Has privacy policy?
Owner said Yes

Has a way for users to contact site owners?
Owner said Yes

Whois Information:
http://whois.domaintools.com/whitesmoke.com

Disclaimer:
This post was generated automatically. All information is as entered by the site owner.

karenwhite

RE: whitesmoke.com

Post by karenwhite » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:27 pm

http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/10676-white-smoke-writing-software

I understand their frustration but they are judging a respected company based on what they read online. We are Trust-E approved which is the highest security approval available today.
Antivirus companies have detected us in the past but those were false positives on the antivirus companies' side which were corrected immediately.
We do NOT spam and comply by all American SPAM laws and have an unsubscribe option from both our emails and our popups.

The software is installed with an uninstall feature to allow for easy removal and we have 24 hour support.

In addition, our website is completely safe according to Virus Total.http://www.virustotal.com/url-scan/report.html?id=12ae545a8948922222ed998cb487a67e-1309864464

This site (MyWot) is simply harmful to our company's reputation as it allows our competitors to bash us by adding a massive number of ratings and comments.
We would like an honest, CURRENT, valuation of our site.
Thank you.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 am

You still don't get it do you.

Many WoT members are reporting what source indicate.
Such as several Anti-Virus programs.
My av says issues, and you want me to ignore this?
No I don't think so!
Go get the issues resolved.
Then go talk to the AV makers about their reports. (which of course they are all wrong)

Once you can prove you're clean, then ask for a review. (or you can continue to get people that are going to get the same results and rate you red)

Might be easier to just shoot yourself in the foot now and get it over with.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:48 am

@ karenwhite
mind explain this?

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/df5d650189e496d1a278611af1a013dcd1ae9d15
Filename: WhiteSmokeWriterGeo9221_en.exe
Scan finished. 6 out of 20 scanners reported malware.
Scan taken on: Wed 6 Jul 2011 00:08:32 (CET)

Avira: ADWARE/Adware.Gen
etc etc etc
Thanks

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:54 am

@ karenwhite
mind explain this?

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/df5d650189e496d1a278611af1a013dcd1ae9d15
Filename: WhiteSmokeWriterGeo9221_en.exe
Scan finished. 6 out of 20 scanners reported malware.
Scan taken on: Wed 6 Jul 2011 00:08:32 (CET)

Avira: ADWARE/Adware.Gen
etc etc etc
Thanks

Would definitely be interested to see the explanation for this one!

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:21 am

I didn't know Trust-E evaluated software. I thought they only looked at the website itself.

I'm not a malware researcher, so I can't evaluate whether they are false positives or not. You have to get the AV companies to address it before members of the unwashed masses like me can say it's safe.

But there are many shades of "bad" when it comes to software. When your site tells me it will "work from any text application and be fully integrated with Microsoft Outlook to automatically check my emails" and will that my computer will be "directly connected to the WhiteSmoke servers, allowing your software to improve as we update our technology," what you're saying is that your software doesn't work on my computer; it transmits my writing to your server for translation, maybe without checking with me first. That's a major privacy issue. It may be cloud computing to you, but it's spyware to me. That's enough to get AV/antispyware programs to consider it a threat.

In addition, you aren't forthright about your location. 501 Silverside Rd, Suite 105, Wilmington Delaware is a mail forwarding service. It is used by companies that want to give the impression that they are located in the US when they are located somewhere else they'd rather not admit to. The company that runs it isn't particular who they deal with, so it's been associated with scammers. That doesn't help your credibility. Just give your real address. We aren't all Americans here. We can handle it.
Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:11 am

Additional information, from your affiliate program terms and conditions:

The following additional program-specific terms shall apply to any promotional programs set forth below:

1. Email Campaigns. For all email campaigns, Affiliate must download the "Suppression List" from the Offers section of WhiteSmoke Software. Affiliate shall filter its email list by removing any entries appearing on the Suppression List and will only send emails to the remaining addresses on its email list. WhiteSmoke Software will provide an opt-out method in all Links, however, if any opt-out requests come directly to Affiliate, Affiliate shall immediately forward them to WhiteSmoke Software at zach@whitesmoke.com. Affiliate's emails containing the Links may not include any content other than the Links, except as required by applicable law.
1.Affiliate agrees that failure to download the Suppression List and remove all emails from the database before mailing may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from all or part of the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise. Affiliate further agrees that it will not mail or market to any suppression files generated through the WhiteSmoke Software network, and that doing so may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise.
2. Advertising Campaigns. No Links can appear to be associated with or be positioned on chat rooms or bulletin boards unless otherwise agreed by WhiteSmoke Software in writing. Any pop-ups/unders used for the Affiliate Program shall be clearly identified as Affiliate served in the title bar of the window and any client-side ad serving software used by Affiliate shall only have been installed on an end-user's computer if the function of the software is clearly disclosed to end-users prior to installation, the installation is pursuant to an affirmatively accepted and plain-english end user license agreement and the software be easily removed according to generally accepted methods.
3. Affiliate Network Campaigns. For all Affiliate's that maintain their own affiliate networks, Affiliate agrees to place the Links in its affiliate network (the "Network") for access and use by those affiliates in Affiliate's Network (each a "Third Party Affiliate"). Affiliate agrees that it will expressly forbid any Third Party Affiliate to modify the Links in any way. Affiliate agrees to maintain its Network according to the highest industry standards. Affiliate shall not permit any party to be a Third Party Affiliate whose web site or business model involves content containing Objectionable Content. All Third Party Affiliates must be in good standing with Affiliate. Affiliate must require and confirm that all Third Party Affiliates affirmatively accept, through verifiable means, this Agreement prior to obtaining access to the Links. Affiliate shall promptly terminate any Third Party Affiliate who takes, or could reasonably be expected to take, any action that violates the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In the event that either party suspects any wrongdoing by a Third Party Affiliate with respect to the Links, Affiliate shall promptly disclose to WhiteSmoke Software the identity and contact information for such Third Party Affiliate. Affiliate shall promptly remove any Third Party Affiliate from the Affiliate Program and terminate their access to future Offers of WhiteSmoke Software in the Network upon written notice from WhiteSmoke Software. Unless WhiteSmoke Software has been provided with all truthful and complete contact information for a Third Party Affiliate and such Third Party Affiliate has affirmatively accepted this Agreement as recorded by WhiteSmoke Software, Affiliate shall remain liable for all acts or omissions of any Third Party Affiliate.

#Anti-Spam Policy

You must strictly comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the "Act"). All emails sent in connection with the Affiliate Program must include the appropriate party's opt-out link. From time to time, we may request - prior to your sending emails containing linking or referencing the Affiliate Program that you submit the final version of your email to WhiteSmoke Software for approval by sending it to your WhiteSmoke Software representative and upon receiving written approval from WhiteSmoke Software of your email the email may be transmitted to third parties.

It is solely your obligation to ensure that the email complies with the Act. You agree not to rely upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval of your email for compliance with the Act, or assert any claim that you are in compliance with the Act based upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval.

Those provisions sort of make you legal in the US. CAN-SPAM doesn't prohibit spamming; it just requires you to provide a means to opt out. Your conditions here permit your affiliates to send spam as long as the recipient isn't already on a suppression list. That's sufficient for the US, but not for a lot of other countries.

You are allowing affiliates to mail to any list of addresses they come up with so long as they remove addresses on your suppression list. That's better than a lot of spammers, but you still have no control of where they are getting their addresses. If they are purchasing them, they don't even have control. If they were gathered by email address harvesting bots, that violates CAN-SPAM. Even though you didn't gather the addresses illegally yourself, CAN-SPAM makes you responsible for the actions of your affiliates.

Unsolicited commercial email is spam, and most people don't want it. You aren't the only ones sending it. There's too much of it. And if your software is as highly reviewed as you say, why would you need to spam in the first place? It ought to sell itself.

Your terms allow your affiliates to have affiliate programs of their own. That's putting you pretty far removed from the people actually interacting with your potential customers. It doesn't convey the impression that you are serious about making sure your affiliates behave responsibly.
Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

karenwhite

Post by karenwhite » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:10 am

Would definitely be interested to see the explanation for this one!

"Small" antivirus companies are known to "detect" software as malware just because the see that big companies do the same.
There are no detections on ESET, Kaspersky, Microsoft, AVG, and Norton - I believe the smaller and less significant antiviruses will remove their detection soon.

Also, some antivirus companies detect the toolbar as adware - this is only in our free version of the software and is completely optional - the user does not have to install the toolbar to try our software.

karenwhite

Post by karenwhite » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:21 am

I didn't know Trust-E evaluated software. I thought they only looked at the website itself.

I'm not a malware researcher, so I can't evaluate whether they are false positives or not. You have to get the AV companies to address it before members of the unwashed masses like me can say it's safe.

But there are many shades of "bad" when it comes to software. When your site tells me it will "work from any text application and be fully integrated with Microsoft Outlook to automatically check my emails" and will that my computer will be "directly connected to the WhiteSmoke servers, allowing your software to improve as we update our technology," what you're saying is that your software doesn't work on my computer; it transmits my writing to your server for translation, maybe without checking with me first. That's a major privacy issue. It may be cloud computing to you, but it's spyware to me. That's enough to get AV/antispyware programs to consider it a threat.

In addition, you aren't forthright about your location. 501 Silverside Rd, Suite 105, Wilmington Delaware is a mail forwarding service. It is used by companies that want to give the impression that they are located in the US when they are located somewhere else they'd rather not admit to. The company that runs it isn't particular who they deal with, so it's been associated with scammers. That doesn't help your credibility. Just give your real address. We aren't all Americans here. We can handle it.

All of our information is public, including where our main offices are located - as is the law in American public companies

Our product is a client-server product, the interface works by sending your texts to our servers (where our algorithms and main technology is located) and the servers send you back the corrections.
The privacy policy states that sensitive information SHOULD NOT be sent if you fear for your privacy. This is not spyware as no one has access to these texts - in fact only one person in the whole company has access to the servers. The reason we cannot provide an offline solution is because our technology is heavy, complicated and advanced and requires 16 servers to maintain - not something a user can install on their PC.
Also, as apposed to Google who admit to saving all if your personal searches and information, we do not. Once your mistakes are sent back to you, it's not longer in our servers.
The texts our servers use to "learn" how humans write are texts we enter from articles, books, etc. NOT texts from users