All my comments are gone.

Apollo702

All my comments are gone.

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:10 am

In recent years after the destruction of WOT I really had been keeping it as a personal note taking system. One of the things that I do is independently find and rate websites. More about that another time.

Therefore, I still rate sites using this- with no idea of if the entire system has seen it's last days or not. As far as comments, the first thing to go were 99% of other people's comments. It was possible to pull up the comments- and occasionally an isolated comment or two(usually from an experienced member) could haphazardly appear. It clearly was random.

In recent times I had been blitzing a bunch of sites that other members were less likely to rate- which effectively disguised when more of the comments vanished. During this period none of mine would ever appear on the page- but yet they were still in the extension's window. Now those have
vanished in full.

Fortunately, in the past I was able to download all of my past ratings, and yes, I can keep an unwieldy document on the side. However, it still would be better to have a working
WOT. Assuming there even are active developers and that they have any intent of ever making this a "thing" again someday I might even promote it. That is what kept it from being uninstalled and forgotten about.

Having said that, this only is possible using the Pale Moon browser. I had previously brought up to the (previous?)developers(and I have no idea who they are/were, if they are even the same people, if there are active developers...) and it got blown off.

For those who don't know; this is a crucial point: PM uses the old style(and superior) XUL extension system. Monopolistic corporate browsers are moving towards what they call "web extensions." This format is vastly inferior- but it makes it easier to make extensions cross-browser compatible. However, it is possible to port from one to the other. I have no idea if the
mystery developers are aware of this fact or not.

So, for the past couple of years I have been running
WOT version 2013118 as updating- assuming that newer versions aren't regressions- is impossible!

So, for about 2 years it was partially working. Now it's hanging on by the thinnest of threads. Losing comments kinda defeats the entire purpose...

So, if there are mystery developers who are serious about this here are the likely steps:

1. Don't limit development only to the web extensions format. An XUL port should be relatively easy. Then make sure that past functionality is restored. This will ensure functionality on PM and all browsers that have not gone down the web extensions path.

2. It will be necessary to restore peace with the PM developers. Previous generations of mystery WOT developers had gotten it blacklisted as malware. That will need to be undone and dealing with the PM developers can be quite special. Their personalities... are something that will need to be finessed- but this is a step that needs to happen.

3. Keep the focus on the basics. No more trying to be trendy while constantly breaking things. No more
grand pronouncements :D !! of anything new that barely functions. No more launching rockets that just blow up on the pad! The words here are harsh- but some basic sanity has to be restored if WOT is ever to be a thing again.

4. If real developers are active and are serious- no more hiding in the shadows. Seconds ago I checked the official "About us" section and it mentioned the long gone founders- and nobody else. Declare who you are and what you are here to do. Anything short of that is a declaration of it's own.

Assuming that active developers exist and any pair(s) of eyeballs exist to read this, there is the task. Will it happen?

MyWOT-Team

Re: All my comments are gone.

Post by MyWOT-Team » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Hello @Apollo702 , Thank you for the detailed feedback! We're always glad to hear what our community has to say and let us know how Wot can be improved to fit your exact needs.
We'd be more than happy to hear from you directly via @Support email and let us know how can our Mysterious Developers (no that mysterious really, but they took it as a compliment.) :lol:

Apollo702

Re: All my comments are gone.

Post by Apollo702 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:44 am

Do me a favor and do not write my name in red. I only use that color for people if someone has done something clearly wrong that is out in the open and can be documented.

I cared about this community for a long time and took the time to post again. If there is an accusation get it out now. Otherwise, keep my name green.

Have a nice day/evening/night.