avast killed XP?

The Big Bin

avast killed XP?

Post by The Big Bin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi all,

I know a lot of you are using avast!. Well I downloaded it to my XP laptop last week and it killed my system! I cannot execute most software anymore (my own self-written one!), the system drive structure has been fractured. I uninstalled avast! in Safe mode, and now the system won't even boot anymore! Has that happened to anyone of you before, and what can I do now except trying to boot Ubuntu from CD rom and try to rescue whatever I can, IF I can?

Athlonite

Hey FlyAqua !!

Post by Athlonite » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Last week, I uninstalled Avira from my XP machine and installed the new version of Avast because, I wanted to see if it was an improvement over what I had. I won't give you the details but, it is heavier on the resources. I also sent instructions on How to remove AVG 8.5 and install the new version of Avast , to one of my friends two weeks ago on his XP machine and it has installed properly.

Now, What did you have for protection Before you installed Avast ?? and did you Uninstall it with the right removal tool ??.

You say it won't boot in normal mode BUT, can you still access Safe Mode ??
IF you can, try a System Restore to BEFORE you installed Avast.

keep me informed.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

Don't think he can even get into safe mode

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Athlonite: "can you still access Safe Mode ??"
FlyAqua: "now the system won't even boot anymore!"

So, from what I'm understanding . . . he can't even boot, much less get to Safe Mode.

However, if I'm reading this wrong, want to clarify, FlyAqua?

Athlonite

Hey Bob !!

Post by Athlonite » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:16 pm

Yes, I read that too but, Maybe, he can. That's what needs clarification. Otherwise, I hope he has the XP CD to boot from and try a repair of the OS.

Athlonite.

Off topic.
Am only here for a little while. (slaking off. much work to be done yet).

Your help is always needed.

phantazm

Are you sure it's Avast..?

Post by phantazm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:46 am

I have used Avast. for more than a year, and never had any problems.

It reminded me of something, though, and here's a link to that story:

Apologies for Bad Definition Update
You may have heard that we released a virus database update early Thursday morning (or Wednesday night depending on the time zone). We are deeply sorry for releasing this update and the trouble it caused you. Of the users that received the update, most encountered no problems, some encountered minor issues, and some had significant problems....
http://blog.avast.com/2009/12/04/apolog ... on-update/

The Big Bin

-

Post by The Big Bin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi,

sorry for not posting anymore yesterday, I was too busy handling the situation.

In the end, I don't know for sure what initially caused it, either some software like avast!, or maybe the cold in winter (gets down to -20°C over here) or something else.

So the facts are: Just before it started, I had installes avast! and did a virus scan. When I next booted, Windows told me about damaged system entries on my hard drive, and thus corrected them all - they were Tousands! Then, it slowly started to die; I couldn't execute most software anymore.

When I rebooted Windows was reporting even more fractured entries, and again fixed them. My system would not boot anymore from then on. I was able to boot once again in safe mode though, removing avast! (probably the least helping thing, but I couldn't know back then). But that didn't solve the problems either; neither normal nor Safe mode would now boot anymore. It was clear to me that that machine had little lifetime left. After not even the Windows Restoration Console on the CD could restore it, and neither Linux could access it, my last hope was re-installing windows. It worked for a start, I could rescue most files!

--
Per aspera ad astra

Michael Pizzo

Avast

Post by Michael Pizzo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 am

Wow I am shocked as I have used Avast on my 3 home CPU and 2 laptops since the dawn of the company. The only problem I had was fixed for me with great help from the support staff. Good Luck with your issue hope it turns ok for you in the end. Yyep thats all folks, Mike

mariajames

I like your post its quite

Post by mariajames » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:55 am

I like your post its quite informative and i love to visit you again as you have done a wonderful job. i love to bookmark this site and would send it to other friends to read it and visit it to get upto date and quite interesting information.

amishrabbit

Spam is so...spammy

Post by amishrabbit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:33 pm

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Tard.