ClearCloud DNS Is Blocking Similarsites.com

ClearCloud DNS Is Blocking Similarsites.com

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

ClearCloud DNS is blocking:

http://www.similarsites.com/

Which is available through Web Of Trust for finding websites similar to what a user enters.

c۞g

RE: ClearCloud DNS Is Blocking Similarsites.com

Post by c۞g » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:26 pm

forum.clearcloudDNS.com - forum search similarsites.com returns "No results"

all the online check links state "clean" site or similar - clearly this is a ClearCloudDNS: FP / error / problem...

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

That is what I thought, but they are still going to block it at this time due to some program called SafeWeb, which they list as Adware; so it seems that all Teams involved will have to communicate on this issue & deal with it.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm

"...the SimilarWeb program installs without users permission and/or knowledge..."

What is this SimilarWeb program? SimilarSites haven't installed anything on any of my machines, and I used their service once when they were initially teamed up with WOT so that I could see what they were about. As far as I can tell, they just use comparisons of domain names and metatags to assimilate a list of sites that might be similar to the site that a user might want to compare, and they do not install any programs on a user's machine, or on any sites. It looks as though ClearCloud have got the wrong idea, which probably speaks volumes for the reliability of their block-lists.

Edit: I just used SimilarSites again and no program downloaded either with or without my permission.

c۞g

RE: ClearCloud DNS

Post by c۞g » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:26 pm

I see they are still in BETA

from their FAQ:
It looks like ClearCloud is blocking my site. What do I do?
If the site you want to go to is being blocked, chances are 99.9+% that your computer has just been saved from being attacked.

If you think the site you wanted to visit is being incorrectly blocked, you can post the information in the "Report an Incorrectly Blocked Web Site" section on the forum.

If you really want to go to the website, simply disable ClearCloud, then re-enable it when you're done with that site.

Being a ClearCloudDNS user, why haven't you brought this to the attention on their forum?
I see no reference for SimilarSites.com as a discussion topic:
http://forums.clearclouddns.com/categories.aspx?catid=242

Certainly nothing can be resolved here on WOT forum for ClearCloud errors.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Like I said in my post, I reported it through the Block Page to the ClearCloud Team and communicated with a member of the staff about the problem.

They are still going to detect it and will not alert Similarsites or WOT about the problem, so I am doing it.

I do not know how to contact Similarsites, so I have contacted ClearCloud DNS, WOT, and several other companies; and I hope that they can resolve this issue, because I can not do anything but report it or edit my Hosts File to allow the site or something.

I believe in reporting it to all Teams involved, that is all.

Thank you. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Besides, if it really is a false positive or really is Adaware, I think it should be alerted to all involved, and fixed! :D

I am just trying to help the Community, it is the least that I can do, right? :D

I mean, should we just sit back and do nothing? :D

Come on my friend. ;) :D

We can do better than that and thanks for the advice about disabling ClearCloud DNS, when I want to use the website, but I rather just have one or more Teams fix the problem instead. :D

There is no point letting Malware and/or False Positives sit around unresolved without anyone knowing or doing anything about them. :D

I am sure that once someone on either Team with the power to do something realizes there is a problem, they will fix it, hopefully. ;)

Also I will also post this issue at the Forum if it makes you feel better, though I imagine the ClearCloud Team may be annoyed since I already reported the issue to them. :D

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 pm

"though I imagine the ClearCloud Team may be annoyed since I already reported the issue to them"

Although you have reported the issue to the "ClearCloud Team" it would be useful, and a common courtesy, to let other ClearCloud users know of the issue through their forum. I can't see any reason for the "ClearCloud Team" to object or get annoyed.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

It is now done, I like to report things, but sometimes people get mad at me for doing that (I had a bad experience at a certain forum before recently ;) ); so I was just being cautious.

http://forums.clearclouddns.com/messageview.aspx?catid=242&threadid=7502&enterthread=y

Hopefully, I will not be attacked there for this. :D

c۞g

RE: Blocked Site

Post by c۞g » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:10 pm

http://clearclouddns.com/Blocked-Site/

This is not where you report FP but where you report sites to be blocked by ClearCloud.

As they state on their [url=http://clearclouddns.com/FAQ/ t=_self]FAQ[/url]
to report FP incidents, use their forum - open discussion. :)