Compatibility Issue With Google Chrome Add-on

L-Wolf78

Re: Compatibility Issue With Google Chrome Add-on

Post by L-Wolf78 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am

As per previous instructions I did not. After posting my reply with the screenshots however, I had an issue with an update failure for Windows so as part of troubleshooting of that, all accessories were turned off & disconnected followed by a scan as either reconnected or turned back to active duty. Only negative reports that returned were for v1803, WoT extension needing repairs & my screenshot program having a conflict with the Windows pre-install version. Otherwise no change's.
Even had Spybot do Registry Scan & Malwarebytes run once all of the other's were done. Chrome Unsafe was used as well prior to MY system scan's just for thoroughness. (Actually it was run after last scan of HD C: & then followed up by Spy Bot & Malwarebytes. Chrome extension's were 1st removed last replaced) By this I mean that I went into their respective options & turned off their permission to run & verified through Chrome Task Manager that no extension's were running.
Using "PatchMyPC" (supposedly it has a spelling sensitivity) as well as my licensed Driver Easy Pro v5.6.4 to check every 2nd day has found no updates since Chrome went to latest version.
It may seem random (or quick fire) but I do try to be thorough when it comes to resolving issues with my PC given the age of it. Was originally purchased in 2011 with Windows 7 Premium Home 64 bit. Nothing has been altered hardware wise. Mainly because it is a All in One system. Software change's I check for compatibility with Windows through their various source's & the software companies themselves. Then I go to sites such as Lifewire, PC Mag, How To Make, Windows Insiders Club to check reviews & get more information if need by sending direct emails.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:53 am

Read these sources, but use the actions following:
_https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
_https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness
_https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Keep these instructions visible on a second device, or print them, for reference during the following steps. These steps can take several hours; patience is paramount.

Close unnecessary applications, especially all non-Microsoft apps including backup, security, and system maintenance. You will be restarting the PC at various times; each time you restart, close again any unnecessary applications that may have auto-started with the PC.

Right-click Start > open Command Prompt as administrator ...

> sfc /scannow
- Wait for it to finish. Restart the PC, close unnecessary apps, and return to administrative Command Prompt.
- If SFC fixed anything, re-run it until there are no more fixes in the final run, OR until it cannot fix the same item twice.

> dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- Wait for it to finish. Note problems reported.

> dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Wait for it to finish. Restart the PC, close unnecessary apps, and return to administrative Command Prompt.
- If DISM fixed anything, re-run it until there are no more fixes in the final run.

> sfc /scannow
- optional (proceed as above), to make sure all issues are fixed. When done, exit Command Prompt.

Make certain you have a working Internet connection on the affected PC; if not, use the Internet Connections troubleshooter (see below).
Right-click Start > open Device Manager > answer Yes to the UAC prompt if any > View menu > Show Hidden Devices.
- For any devices labeled "Unknown" > right-click the device > Uninstall > Scan For Hardware Changes (top toolbar).
- For any known devices labeled "Problem" (colored triangle) > right-click the device > Update Driver > Search Automatically > Install.
- For each driver that is updated, restart the PC and close unnecessary apps.

Click Action Center > All Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > run the fixes that seem appropriate, especially Windows Update, Blue Screen, and Hardware and Devices. Restart the PC if prompted by the troubleshooter, and close unnecessary apps.

Click Action Center > All Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check For Updates (unless this has already started) > Install > restart as instructed, and close unnecessary apps > repeat until there are no more Windows Updates.

Now run:
- Microsoft Disk Cleanup for drive C: > check every box except System Created Windows Error Reporting - do not click Clean Up System Files (wait a few weeks);
- a full system backup;
- create a System Restore Point.
From this moment forward, don't use "registry cleaners". For good security products, check here:
_https://www.av-comparatives.org/

Why do all of this? Because recent Windows Updates have been "rocky" during and after the attempt to mitigate deep flaws (vulnerable to "Meltdown" and "Spectre" attacks) in hardware chips. Although things have smoothed out by now, many people were left with partially working systems. One of my PCs required a few of these steps; another one required all of them.

L-Wolf78

Post by L-Wolf78 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 am

Yes those do require some patience & time. Will put them to work in a couple of hours' given the duration of those alone & the need for the PC meantime. Windows 10 v.1803 has once more tried to update itself DESPITE a custom (command?) addition NOT TO allow it. Even WinAero Tweaker has something to stop it & The Store from Auto updating BUT unfortunately that stops the Security Update's as well which I would prefer over some stupid bloatware like an update to Solitaire :?
Out of curiosity involving these particular scans...Is there not a way to set CMD Prompt via script or just CMD itself to combine all 3 into 1 "Ultimate" so that as 1 finishes the next began automatically? The Troubleshooter with Windows 10 is another that needs an "update" in my opinion. Can't remember which version it was, but I believe there was a Troubleshooter at 1 point that if it ran it just looked over the entire system instead of this piece meal program now. Then again with all these programs' THAT DO HAVE their own scanning ability, if they were so efficient we wouldn't NEED half of these other's :roll:
Will check in tomorrow night regarding the results of the Various Scan's. Hopefully they all come out clean as the only thing worse for duration on this old system is the backup & restoration (when necessary) if things don't follow their intended instructions.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:32 am

You cannot both automate SFC and DISM (with a script) and make decisions about which to run next and how many runs (unless your script anticipates and responds to all possible console outputs from those programs ≈ you should be ready to try it next year).

About the "inadequacy" of Windows Troubleshooters: Personally, I would not want to wait for hours, through multiple uncontrolled restarts, for the hypothetical "Universal Troubleshooter" to wade through 18 scenarios, several of which require user observations and responses, merely to reset my Internet connection (30 sec).

Although Windows 10 seems to do a better job of maintaining and securing itself than any Windows OS back to 95, it still needs to run on compatible hardware; Microsoft even publishes Windows [version] Readiness Tools to help users test whether existing hardware will support an OS upgrade. Naturally at some point, a given machine will not support the next OS or version thereof.

Installed into the system, you have Ad Guard Pro, MalwareBytes, SpyBot S&D, possible McAfee remnants, Driver Easy Pro, PatchMyPC(*1), and WinAero Tweaker (and you did a forced shutdown during a Windows update to v1803). My suggestion is to pull these swords out of the carcass(*2), repair it (using the preceding instructions), see if it can once again stand on its own, then upgrade it to v1803.

Then if the hardware is good, you can begin torturing the PC again to see what breaks, doing one thing at a time with backups, System Restore Points, and a change log to make it easier to return to a time when the system was working well. Each time you install something into the system, make certain everything still works well before you install something more.

Some security suites include a feature to automatically update your apps. Although I like being notified that new versions are available, I install them by hand so I can say "No" to additional costs and subscriptions, as well as tacked-on PUAs that could easily be installed automatically without my knowledge.

In addition to the above:

Check the Programs and Features Control Panel
> Start menu > Windows System > Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall A Program
for multiple versions of any third-party (non-Microsoft) products; if found, uninstall the oldest versions, make sure the current version still works and reinstall if needed. If you no longer need it, uninstall it - especially stuff for hardware you can barely remember owning.

Uninstall all third-party (non-Microsoft) security products except MalwareBytes. Make sure you got it from malwarebytes.com.

Spybot Search & Destroy (safer-networking.org):
- Disable and remove "Immunization".
- Depending on your version: disable Live Protection (the old feature was called Resident TeaTimer).
- Uninstall Spybot Search & Destroy.

McAfee (mcafee.com):
- If it's installed, uninstall it. Then
- Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) to be certain it's gone:
_https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview?articleId=TS101331

After uninstalling third-party security products, make certain Windows Defender is enabled, deferring to MBAM, and all "green".

L-Wolf78

Post by L-Wolf78 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 am

For Clarification, the desire to have "1 Troubleshooter" step as well as the Scripting idea was more whimsical thinking for an easier process with a lack of patience. I totally agree about how much quicker something a simple reset of internet connection manually (in whichever form that may take) is over running several scripts piece by piece to ensure were done or need to be attentive.
The Compatibility Software is something that definitely should have been kept going. While my PC when was initially able to Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 & even be part of the Original Beta (Insider's Program now) that was some year's ago now. Somewhere along the way (possibly with age :( ) it has seen what I believe is it's last major OS upgrade. Version 1803 just refuses to take hold. After all this time & many attempts by remote with Microsoft & Acer even, have had Tech's say that I should not be able to run v1709 as I am now let alone have had it get this far without making any hardware changes.
For now I have followed the steps to verify removal of any possible prior AV programs. Would like to say it was by choice as well. Am going onto Day 2 of a Freshly Installed Windows 10 v1703 now :roll: The other night after following the outlined Steps & many scans' (ALL OF WHICH CAME OUT CLEAN & even had a screenshot was going to attach) unfortunately the Update Check did not fair so well. It came back initially with some KB file # as Waiting For Restart to Install. Was nothing about v1803 or any other Update in progress. So I got curious & went to the Update History tab underneath that. Last attempt with v1803 was onthe 12th of August & it had (as usual) failed. So using the Back Button I returned to the Update Check Page. The unknown KB file was gone. So I tapped the Check for Updates again. This resulted in a Green Check with nothing to install or need to be updated. Seeing this & finding it strange, I went to Start Menu & looked under the Power, saw only my standard options: Sleep, Shutdown, Restart. NO UPDATES. So I thought I would do a restart anyway just to clear everything & check for an Update after that.
Restart went fine. Startup programs' all fine. Nothing alarming happened PERIOD. Go to Check Updates page. NO Windows 10 v1803 listed or mentioned. WAS A KB file of some sort HOWEVER. Wanting to write it down or otherwise get a record of this reached over for both pen & phone turn back to screen & IT WAS GONE!! Had slid the keyboard drawer back underneath to get clear of it & to ensure did not accidentally tap anything prior to recording. No idea what happened or why! Thinking I need to get answers, went to my browser & learned that Google Chrome was uninstalled.
Chrome freshly installed. Using pictures on phone, chased down each extension separately & went through setup process. Even had to import Bookmarks back. A family member who has a much better understanding of computer's than I (they speak DOS for crying out loud!) suggested that after EACH program was "introduced back to Chrome" that I do a standard Exit & restart of PC. As in use Exit under the Options Tab (NOT the Red X) then go to Start & Restart. Lengthy process later was all back & doing fine. INCLUDING WoT which by then was installed as #3 of 21 (bookmarks & extensions all total) with no problems. Then things went BAD.
My sync between Google Mobile & Online stopped allowing me to use my Bio-metrics 2 step to sign in. Once did get signed in again went to find out what broke. Wound up under the Reset Chrome Tab & see that Malwarebytes & Spy Bot both are incompatible with Chrome. Knew something was wrong as that has never displayed that before. Cleared out & did a full scan using MY 2 AV's & then asked Windows Defender as well if it could detect anything. CLEAN! So going through Control Panel itself, Uninstalled Chrome. Tab came up again asking if wanted to erase everything to with Chrome & tapped YES. Toast notification pops up after a Restart about "Finish Installing Software" Go to Troubleshooter for the Hardware check. All looked good. Check in Device Manager & all driver's up to date. Full viral & malware scan again. Nothing. Software update check comes back clean. Except Windows.
Run a check for Updates. Gives me a KB file that requires restart. Once again all goes smoothly. To a Point. 1st Task Bar disappears completely after standard start up. Going through keyboard shortcuts gets me into Control Panel. From here learn that something is definitely wrong! Is more than Task Bar went missing. Wind up with a few more Restarts that don't go smooth & finally a Update for 1803 works it's way into the Start Menu notifications. No success AGAIN. Trying to figure out what happened I turned to steps outlined earlier involving all the scans in a specific order. All clean again. Before trying anything else go to put Protection back in as had removed Spy Bot & Malwarebytes myself & set Win Defender to Maximum setting could. Wind up in a situation of needing a System Restore which fails on count of Light-shot (a screenshot program) failure. 2nd attempt at Recovery fails & leads to further trouble. Under Windows 10 New Controls, used System Refresh.
Once it was done (took 2 attempts for some reason!) immediately ran SFC, DISM x2 & asked Win Defender Malicious Tool to look for anything. That was about 18-19 hours ago. So far the only odd thing is I lost all my backups' including my 3 Clouds' & are no System Restores in File Recovery even. Even USB drive's used are clear of anything like that. In fact 1 which was forgotten about due to it's port location was left inserted during so not trusting it to be safe from "SOMETHING" now despite being wiped clean. Feeling paranoid asked the computer nut/family member to assist via Remote. System came back clean although a couple of files were out of order. WoT is still functioning properly since we installed it as #4 this time with Ad Guard as #1 due to it's ability to detect some unsafe, Malwarebytes #2, Spy bot #3. All through IE (although as a compromise to my dislike of other browsers & his Hatred/fear of certain others) DuckduckGo was used to get Chrome back in action following the other 4 installs & scans 1st. Beyond that...still no sign of an update to v1803 nor the mysterious KB's that had seen. Hell, has been NOTHING from Windows Update since the Clean Install to v1703!! NOT EVEN v1709!!
Fresh out of ideas' & coffee now. Not sure how long this version of WoT is going to last this time although has had plenty of opportunity by now to follow previous...Just a matter of Tech/Customer Support from 1 of my Cloud Saves to get back to me now to settle those. Much to my chagrin, Microsoft One Drive Support had me try the same 3 scans with pretty much same instructions earlier as well. Plus a recommendation to set up a block to Updating any further on my current system "without some hardware changes for system compatibility and security reasons" going forward. Given how the Fall Creator's Edition is upcoming & the fun have had since March already figured it was time to start looking at adding some newer tech in some form or other.
Last edited by L-Wolf78 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:12 am

After removing the external link hxxp://cdn.jsdelivr.net/emojione/assets/svg/1f44d.svg from your previous reply ...

Your PC probably has quite a collection of temp files by now. You may smooth things out using MS Disk Cleanup:
> Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Disk Cleanup > select drive C: > OK, and wait
> check all boxes except System Created Windows Error Reporting > OK > (Are you sure ...) Delete Files, and wait.

After your system has run consistently for a few days, use the deep-cleaning option:
> Start > Windows Administrative Tools > Disk Cleanup > select drive C: > OK, and wait > Clean Up System Files button
> select drive C: > OK, and wait > check all boxes except Windows Upgrade Log Files and System Created Windows Error Reporting
> OK > (Are you sure ...) Delete Files, and wait longer (it's actually analyzing what is safe to delete).

L-Wolf78

Post by L-Wolf78 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:06 am

What would be YOUR recommended amount of day's for each of those cleaning/checks? I ask as my family member who is the computer nut had suggested the same & yet when I asked what they meant, all i got was "Oh I don't know. Maybe a few days but no more than a week" :? :roll: Needless to say that doesn't answer my question nor help me any.

Am still baffled by all this mess. With the ongoing issue Microsoft has now with Win 10 & MANY programs' affected (based on the simple search of Win 10 current issues) WHY ONLY THIS EXTENSION?!? :?: Until recently it was the update ONLY that was a problem & that was easily fixed as a bug by using a 3rd party program & have even seen WoT approved sites that have other fixes like a quick addition/edit of the Registry. Those I try to avoid at all costs after Win 98 gave me a hefty lesson $$$
Even in some of the other Forums involving just Google or Windows 10, nobody has encountered THIS issue. Either they have lost ALL their extensions or multiples were glitching. None of the BIG brand names in Online Security have had any ideas nor any solutions either. Although now after this mess with Google & Win 10 compatibility I understand why they didn't find anything.
What I have found since though does in a way make me wonder if an answer has been found to my own question. Late last night/early hours' today I came across a VERY INTERESTING post from a Google Dev. Apparently Google is rolling out a new policy & I may have inadvertently by "Being A Seeker" wound up as a Test Subject. Google is going to be banning ALL 3rd party programs' that may inject or otherwise affect THEIR layout & running of Google in itself. Wonder if it could be the cause behind this as I have no idea how long ago I may have become a guinea pig yet it looks by the posting that it is possible...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 am

The reasons I emphasized repair and cleanup timings to you: (1) Some people believe the advertising hyperbole that promises tech can speed up your fate; therefore they are royally indignant when it doesn't. (2) I get the impression that you have a lot on your plate, so you would probably want to defer long operations for convenient times.

For grins, I ran two Core-i3 PCs through full offline ChkDsk, SFC, DISM, Disk Cleanup deep-clean to remove previous Windows Feature Update junk (~3GB and ~5.5GB), full defrag of 3 1TB HDDs and 1 320GB HDD, full AV scans, and Acronis full system backups, in under 5 hours - just to see how annoying the whole mess would be.

BTW: Have you done anything exotic with your Paging File ("Virtual Memory"), such as constraining it to a certain size or range, or relocating it to another HDD (that is not C:), or setting up Clear-Page-File-At-Shutdown, or anything else that not default? And: Do you use ReadyBoost?

I doubt that the Google dev's description (of blocking injections) applies to you. It seems more related to malicious browser hacks (not the same as injections into browser windows and web pages). I seriously doubt that Google wants to turn its prince into the frog that is Edge.

Also: Check your available memory when you have several tab windows open in Chrome. Open more tabs and see what happens.

L-Wolf78

Post by L-Wolf78 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Actually I was wondering about the Page File & Google's data usage myself. As in if the default is either too low or too high affecting Chrome. If too low would create lag. Too high & some program's could/would take advantage thus allowing over time to build up the cache.
Can't remember how to find it now :? to check to be honest. Between trying to just stay online let alone make sure my PC is operable has become more of a chore lately. Between Win 10 & family deciding NOW to see about VPN access...Am convinced 1 of these day's I am going to come home to a smoldering wreck on my desk! :cry:
Nothing against a VPN or being slightly higher in security online or with maintenance. But there is also the capabilities of the system to consider. You did all your scan's in 5 hour's? Wagering that is because it is a semi regular routine then. I was taught that those particular scan's are for deep repair & long overdue maintenance. So program's with scheduling or at least notifications that it might be time to at least look are what I typically go for.
Now some are just "basic" in my view. Malware has a few to choose from in prevention & several more in removal. The obvious choice is get the 1 that does both. Virus gets even bigger selection. Maintenance though which is the root of a system being ABLE to even get online. Then depending on the subscription, some tool's shouldn't be used too often. Namely Defrag.
Emptying the cache is another that seems to vary. A smartphone is a smaller more portable computer yet so many are reporting this will actually slow down the system! My ad blocker of choice AdGuard Pro is something like that. They give so many choice's to ensure that nothing considered as an ad or annoyance is able to be seen.
Catch is while it is capable of speeding up a browser or just a web page loading faster, it is actually adding to the CPU usage. Trade off is an early warning about some bad site's like WoT does. On the PC edition it even has a feature to enable WoT. Again with a catch unfortunately. Put too many filter's on & either it bog's down the entire system or you run out of allowable filter's.
This was how I found WoT to begin with. Got tired of trying to match the mobile with the desktop & vice versa depending on which seemed to do better. Given that I have the option with AdGuard, the rest of my family can't see why I am worrying about this now. As the advertising gets hit with more blocker's they are paying bigger to bypass it as some site's require it be turned off to proceed. So if AdGuard isn't running then I need to be sure that Tampermonkey & WoT both are.
Those 3 have seen more "trash" than many realize is out there. Given how easy it is to wind up opening a port in which can then do XYZ at choice...Malwarebytes for the most part waits for something to arrive or be on the way. Spy bot cleans up AFTER. Win Defender just seems to lack anything useful beyond the firewall. Even the Malicious Removal Tool seems more like a maintenance scan! All these scan's I do so regularly might be part of why I have not had to do any hardware changes. At the same time advice of forgotten scan type's while they require patience have me wondering if I am going about the order wrong.
Was several month's before Google finally gave me a clear indication of something being wrong. Several other's of the Tech/Repair nature (both human & software) were unable to pinpoint the cause of the intermittent extension breakage. So far it is stable by the way! :D Still despite all this, it doesn't explain why out of all the user's of Google & WoT extension, I was the only one that had this going on. :? It being stable now does indicate that whatever was corrupted has been adjusted or fixed since. Except for the fact that nothing has really changed.
Am still on Win 10 v1703 with Chrome 68-69. A couple of driver's have updated for audio & mobile's being tethered a few time's. The variety of scan's just check for file's out of place or added code. Yet a single extension is the only piece affected....

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:24 am

You checked your memory this way: forum.mywot.com/download/file.php?id=61
So, load up a bunch of tabs - a bit more than you normally would - and then see what memory remains.

If you haven't messed with the Paging File or browser cache limits, then don't start now. By default, there is no "too low or too high": they expand as needed, and Windows will actually shrink the Paging File for speed. It's good, and sometimes necessary to empty browser caches (cookies and history, though I tend to keep cookies) - so the browser doesn't hang on to old versions of content (and CSS, and Scripts, and ...).

True, you don't need to defrag constantly. By default, Windows self-maintenance does it about 1x / week.

Once again, too many security products can obstruct each other. Forget about Windows Defender and the Malicious Software Removal Tool - they are built in and they won't get in the way. Of your third-party products, SpyBot S&D is the weakest, and it could obstruct MalwareBytes.

According to malwarebytes.com/premium/ MBAM is actually protecting you from inbound threats before they land. You already paid for it, so use it and don't cripple it by running other third-party security. And do head over to av-comparatives.org to see your options.

Here is an easy explanation for why, in a universe of endless possibilities, one single browser extension (WoT) failed to work for one single person (you): random accident. Billions of years ago, one single neutrino was born in a galaxy far, far away, and it has traveled all that time until it finally collided with a couple of electrons in a silicon chip inside your PC, culminating in the observed fault. Of course, this could have happened to anyone else at any other time, and that person would then own your nagging question.

In any case, this Forum's purpose is mainly for solving problems with WoT's functionality, and this topic is beginning to drift into reminiscing, and shooting the breeze (and I currently have more things on my plate than I even have time to enumerate).