Dark screen countdown

len33

Dark screen countdown

Post by len33 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:22 am

I've been using WOT for years and just cannot surf without it.
I do not know when it started but sometimes the monitor goes 95% dark and a white lettering start a countdown from six, When it's finished I see an X and clicking on it opens the site.

This also happens within a site with sub links, for example a local secondhand site I visit often. I view a specific item and when I want to return to the site the countdown starts again.

To me it seems as if WOT is checking a database but I'm guessing.

Any ideas?

RE: Dark screen countdown

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello,

Which browser do you use? Which version of the addon? Can you take a screenshot?
Have you disabled WOT and try to notice if the problem still occurs?

№3344

Post by №3344 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:07 pm

What does countdown stand for? WOT? Never seen that before...

Matiks, as experienced in coding, can you tell, is it possible to see countdown screen with WOT add-on?

Just want to know opinion of a person who understands the tech of coding. Is it possible too see countdown as a feature of add-on? Really didn't see that. Something new for me.

len33

Post by len33 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:27 am

Matiks, I'm running various browsers, Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera and also IE 11 but never used.
WOT is always the current version.
I'll apply your suggestion and make a new profile within Firefox with only WOT and run it a few days to ensure that it is not another extension or maybe a clash between extensions, thanks.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:04 am

I am not a developer at WOT bu my guess is that if WOT can't communicate with the API, the addon will be gray without countdown (I never heard about this layout). But by using the web inspector "CTRL" + "SHIFT" + "I" with the "Network" tab, it will allow to see queries and the "Elements" tab will help to analyze the overlay by inspecting elements. These actions might help to find the origin of this problem.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:30 pm

We've never heard of anything like this before. There's a fair chance a different addon or piece of software is causing this to happen.

Edit: What operating system do you have and are you running AV? As a wise user said, you may want to update your virus definitions and run a full system scan.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Dear WOT,

I would also suggest to the OP updating their virus definitions and running a full system scan. What AV do you have? What Operating System?

Satch

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:46 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Dear WOT,

I would also suggest to the OP updating their virus definitions and running a full system scan. What AV do you have? What Operating System?

Satch
[/quote]

You're quite right Satch. Editing the post to include that. Thanks!

len33

Post by len33 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 pm

Resolved, nothing to do with WOT, it was an extension within Firefox which I now uninstalled.
Should anybody experience similar hiccup it's extension Scroll buttons 1.0.1 by Elegant Soft.
Thanks folks.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:17 pm

<quote user="len33">
Resolved, nothing to do with WOT, it was an extension within Firefox which I now uninstalled.
Should anybody experience similar hiccup it's extension Scroll buttons 1.0.1 by Elegant Soft.
Thanks folks.
[/quote]

Thanks for reporting it! Safe browsing :)