FF and IE7

FF and IE7

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:43 am

I can view these posts OK in FF, but IE7 displays them with the print overlapping.

Plus, IE7 had it's default site url icon displaying in Favorites, but FF had the little WOT green donut site url icon next to the Bookmark shortcut (I downloaded the .png favicon file and converted it to .ico so that I could point the IE7 url shortcut to it and display the little WOT icon next to the favorite shortcut instead of the IE7 default shortcut icon . . . FF reads .png favicon files but IE only reads .ico favicon files).

Anyway, my primary concern is the IE7 display of overlapping text. It only got like that recently . . . IE7 was displaying things OK at first.

So . . . are you guys messing with the browser code or have you changed it recently (I see that avatars are now available), or was it my messing with the IE7 url shortcut icon that did it?? Or is it some other setting locally that is my problem?? (I haven't changed anything in IE7 lately except for the url shortcut icon).

BTW, I'm posting this in FF.

Sami

Re: FF and IE7

Post by Sami » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am

There were some CSS changes and probably your IE still has the previous style sheet cached. Try clearing your browser cache and then reloading the page.

Yes, that worked. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Yes, that worked. Thanks.

BTW, why did you change the CSS? Just curious . . . not urgent.

Sami

Re: Yes, that worked.

Post by Sami » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:19 am

Styles usually change when something new is added to the site. It was probably the user pictures on the blog and forum this time.

Now my IE certainly displays

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Now my IE certainly displays without that overlapping print, as I said before . . . that problem was very nicely resolved by your suggestion to clear the cache.

Nevertheless, it still displays sort of "whacky". Here's what I mean specifically by "whacky". Right under a post title is the date, time, and the poster's screen name. In FF that's a readable point font, but in IE it is . . . sometimes . . . very very small. I say "sometimes" . . . and this is another whacky part . . . because it only happens for certain threads. For example, in this thread, the date, time, and user screen name displays in IE just as it does in FF . . . very readable.

But in that lengthy thread about andre9's site rating, and his dispute, and the resolution about the language barrier . . . IE displays those dates, time, and screen names, so small that it's not readable.

I haven't made the observation on which threads it seems to be . . . lengthier or whatever . . . to see if there's any rhyme or reason to it.

Another thing I've noticed . . . and this happens ALL the time, even for this thread . . . that pane on the right with the categories . . . IE always displays that in a smaller point font than FF.

In FF none of this ever happens, so your site seems to be more FF friendly than IE friendly.

Which brings me to my latest question, Sami: Have you guys tested this thing on IE, or just FF?

This is really no big deal, so reply at your leisure.

Timo

IE

Post by Timo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm

We test our website with Firefox and IE (8, 7, 6). Also we check that there are no major problems with Opera and Safari. I admit that the site does not look exactly the same on every browser.

The problem you described has been solved. It was a small error in the layout.

Cool . . . thanks very much

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:36 am

Cool . . . thanks very much for the response, Timo.