Firefox’s WOT rewrites wot/storage.json constantly

ErmineMD

Firefox’s WOT rewrites wot/storage.json constantly

Post by ErmineMD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:21 am

I use firefox extention. Three last versions rewrite %profile%/wot/storage.json over and over again. First they create storage-1.json and/or storage-2.json, storage-3.json and then rename them to storage.json. It happens many times a minute.

2015 versions do it. 2013 versions do not.

Is it by design?

donsorg

RE: Firefox’s WOT rewrites wot/storage.json constantly

Post by donsorg » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:01 am

Hi,

the use of storage.json is by design - this way the add-on doesn't pollute browser settings to store its information needed for work (aka categories and their description, some configs, etc).

Let me know if this causes any trouble for you.

ErmineMD

Post by ErmineMD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm

Why does WOT rewrite the file so often? It may do it once a minute if it likes. Or if something happens. But not many times a minute even if firefox is idle. Is it really necessary? Am I wrong?

The file is only 43 KB. Not much. But it is recreated constantly. It is just not right. I use 2013 version because of that.

ErmineMD

Post by ErmineMD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:09 am

Screenshot from Process Monitor
https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6502/12 ... e15b3_orig
It shows WriteFile operations only.
So the file is recreated every 5 seconds. Why?

ErmineMD

Post by ErmineMD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:06 am

hotdoge3, have you read my first message? WOT creates storage-1.json, deletes storage.json and renames the first file to storage.json. Every 5 seconds. It takes very little time. So you can not see storage-1.json.

I used a new firefox profile. No spyware.
how many times did you add it on may be try go to new take off & fit new
I can not understand that part.

billko

Post by billko » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:50 am

It's an issue with me because I just had to delete over 2k worth of files. I know when the folder gets that big because FF will start using 100% of all my processors and crash when I try to shut it down. It usually takes a few weeks before it gets that bad. Then I go and delete those files and it's fine for another few weeks.

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:47 am

I get it now did not understand, on 2 PC's XP and windows 10 only have storage.json did run Procmon.exe on windows 10

Hig Resolution Date & Time: 23/09/2015 8:26:05.8283993 PM
Event Class: File System
Operation: CreateFile
Result: SUCCESS

next Operation: CloseFile, next Operation: FileSystemControl Result: OPLOCK HANDLE CLOSED

see all at the same time, only one storage.json (39.kb) waterfox.40.0.2 (XP Firefox)

24:09:2015

storage-1.json # 1.Operation: CreateFile # 2.Operation: QueryBasicInformationFile # 3.Operation: CloseFile
All Result: SUCCESS
Don't know if this help's may good info

You say it clean but some times it hard to tell you may like to try AdwCleaner is a tool that deletes Adware/Toolbars/PUPs/Hijackers.

Junkware Removal Tool 7.6.3

UVK Ultra Virus Killer Portable 7.4.1.0

Malwarebytes

All have free tools and good luck.

ErmineMD

Post by ErmineMD » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:57 pm

hotdoge3, could you show me WriteFile operations screenshot? Like mine. Use these filter settings: https://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/6306/12 ... 37bb3_orig

My PC is clean. I know how to use Process Monitor and I found that WOT recreates that file. So I know how to use antivirus software. Believe me, please. And believe me that old versions of WOT work fine. Only new versions have this issue.

jeffbuhrt

Post by jeffbuhrt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:28 pm

WOT is pretty constant in writing to the pair of files:
firefox(21850): CW /home/jbuhrt/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/m5864zs0.default/WOT/storage-1.json
firefox(21850): WO /home/jbuhrt/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/m5864zs0.default/WOT/storage-1.json
firefox(21850): CW /home/jbuhrt/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/m5864zs0.default/WOT/storage-1.json
firefox(21850): WO /home/jbuhrt/.mozilla/firefox/Profiles/m5864zs0.default/WOT/storage-1.json

To see this on Linux use:
fatrace -f W

This is a 'problem' for people with SSD drives. It is constantly using up the drive's write cycles for no reason.
Could this information not be cached in memory vs the disk?
OR is there a way to tell where WOT should create the file? Then all a user has to do is (and know they have to) put it on a RAMFS partition.

Another 'issue' with this constant writing and looping is wasting processor just because... WHY?

billko

Post by billko » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:30 pm

<quote user="billko">
It's an issue with me because I just had to delete over 2k worth of files. I know when the folder gets that big because FF will start using 100% of all my processors and crash when I try to shut it down. It usually takes a few weeks before it gets that bad. Then I go and delete those files and it's fine for another few weeks.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I should've been more clear. I had to delete over two thousand files.