FYI on Trend Internet Security & Microsoft Security Essentials conflict.

Meat_Wagon

FYI on Trend Internet Security & Microsoft Security Essentials conflict.

Post by Meat_Wagon » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:32 am

Trend-Micro Internet Security 2010 © does not like to compete with the new Microsoft Security Essentials © antivirus screener (freeware catching a LOT of bugs!). It is like Norton which won't coexist with many other A/V programs on a computer, this is FYI just in case you R thinking they will. Trend-Micro Internet Security 2010 © offers a 30-day trial-ware d/l which I d/l-ed all 80MB's of & went to install, just before it finished installing it flashed-up a red warning screen and wanted to uninstall MSE to continue, not compatible & to proceed it would kindly uninstall MSE for me! I clicked 'NO' and guess what, no full Trend install, so the 'Add/Remove' in the XP Control-Panel function would not have worked.
I had to rip out: 80MB+ a bunch of Trend install files, cookies & junk.
Maybe it does not like competition that (IMHO) IS better and free than their product$/$70 for three users per year. Please enter this information into your software evaluation section of programs that are not compatible with MSE/Trend & I suspect the list doesn't end with just Microsoft. It would be a shame if you were already running a good A/V prog U had paid for hoping this would compliment it and OK-ed the uninstall maybe by mistake, but Trend will zap it if U don't watch the install process closely. It is a very easy process to replicate on any computer, so I saved you the time & clean-up job, now I have Trend orphans & a regedit task ahead of me to clean up every trace of Trend-Micro Internet Security 2010.
Which BTW is not even possible, even using some power-hitting regedit tools. Just try to uninstall Trend-Micro even their baic freeware virus checker any build and tell me it will accept a reload after a Trend uninstall, even to upgade the product 2 a better build - even after an XP partial recovery it has 'blockers' 2 install that product EVER again, even tried to install their best 2010 suite and @ the end of a long install it told me to uninstall all Trend products, RIGHT! So I Googled 'how-to' get rid of Trend for 4 hours & gave up trying, as it can't be done, except maybe after a complete virgin install of a Win OS after a 3-X deep format of your HD :-(
My mix-match of compatible A/V software works fine without Trend in the mix.
I rate MSE high grades for malware detection & elimination on a Dell Inspiron & a H.P. Pavilion hi-end build$. Trend products alone may be good ones, I use their freeware Trend/HiJackThis prog which will work with MSE & is a useful utility, but after 25+ yrs in the IT game I don't like leaving all my cyber security to just 1 or 2 progs. Norton used to lag now they are closing in on top spot, their suite does everything (so they claim) but I think I'll stick to multiple gizmos that work together to keep my systems clean.

M_W

Works and plays well with . . .

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Some people {some experienced users here) use suites that compile all manner of security functions into one program (e.g. Norton NIS, McAfee Security Essentials, Zone Alarm . . . something . . . Comodo . . . something, etc.)

Personally though, I think these things are just marketing ploys for novices. If you advertise "all in one", that sounds pretty slick, and it screams out "buy me" on the shelves.

But to compile all this stuff into one package requires a lot of code to make all the components compatible with each other. Thus, these things are often "bloated".

Plus, very often a component's code is truncated (to keep some bloat down), consequently it doesn't function as well as the stand-alone.

Suites are OK at all things, while a stand-alone is excellent at one thing.

And when you use a stand-alone, you can dump it and try something else while still having some protection (e.g. you will still, say, have a firewall while trying another antivirus). If you dump a suite, you're dumping everything.

Plus, with stand-alones you can "mix and match".

For example, I once had ZA and Mcafee antivirus (back in the days of McAfee version 4 . . . a long long time ago). ZA and McAfee didn't play together nice, so I dumped ZA for Comodo. Then McAfee turned into the resource hog that it and Norton have the reputation for these days, so I dumped McAfee in favor of Avira.

Then I saw that Comodo wasn't playing well with Avira. So I dumped Comodo in favor of On line Armor.

I finally ended up with On line Armor and Avast, and those two played well together AND played well with the rest of the stuff on my system (YMMV . . . each system is unique, so I'm not saying that is the "best" combo . . . just happened to work well on MY machine). My point is that you couldn't do that with a suite. It's either all or nothing.

As far as competition, I remember that a McAfee antivirus version with a firewall also, would give a warning that if another firewall was installed, the antivirus component wouldn't work. That was so much marketing bluster. You could actually ignore that warning, and install only the McAfee antivirus component and have another brand of firewall. But if a novice saw that warning (which as I recall said something like "you must remove the other brand of firewall and install the McAfee firewall in order for McAfee antivirus to work"), they would likely install the McAfee firewall and uninstall the other. That was BS and McAfee finally removed that warning because it became widely known that it was a fraudulent marketing ploy.

demonluo

if NIS can work w MSE then

Post by demonluo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm

if NIS can work w MSE then TIS is BSing...
Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community

Nulander

> I clicked 'NO' and guess

Post by Nulander » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:20 pm

> I clicked 'NO' and guess what, no full Trend install, so the 'Add/Remove' in the XP Control-Panel function would not have worked.

This is simply ridiculous. An AV should do this type of checks as a default matter. I have seen the last (February) comparatives about Trend Micro, remaining greatly disappointed. Hope they will bring the home/soHo solution near to the enterprise one soon.

Ah, I have even seen that, if you want to add entries on Trend Micro Web Reputation system, you have to own one of their products. Another thing even worst is that, to complete the commit, you have to give your serial-product or activation code (O_o). The page where this happend is not even HTTPS. http://reclassify.wrs.trendmicro.com/wrsonlinequery.aspx

-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

Nulander

It must be underlined that

Post by Nulander » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:34 pm

It must be underlined that the AIO solutions introduce more code in the entire suite, so it can be more prone to software bugs. Considering that a security tool will be more or less attacked by the influence that it will have in the local system (ex. an AIO that introduce firewall functionalities must be coded in order to being tough and DoS-resistant to internet attacks other than code-injection by malware etc.), if its conception hasn't been done on the right manner, an attacker could manage to cause a "security-crumble" just hitting only one of the multiple functionalities implemented on the entire software.
Another thing, always related to software planning and coding, is the use of "shared" code solutions (like libraries) or inner functions. If an AIO rely in a central library found to be affected by a leak of sanitarization input checks or other vulnerabilities, a problem that, in another case would have afflicted only one software, in this situation would lead to a massive and more serious security drop.

Just my two cents.
-----

Nulander

About McAfee, I remember

Post by Nulander » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:37 pm

About McAfee, I remember that they bought the copyrights for the very old Conseal Firewall (I'm talking about 1998 / 2001 period), very famous at that times, following to At-Guard (the kernel of the first Norton Internet Security versions; the first of them even shared the same registry values locations).
-----

Good point

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:25 am

Echo, MassimilianoF.

demonluo

"> I clicked 'NO' and guess

Post by demonluo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:16 am

"> I clicked 'NO' and guess what, no full Trend install, so the 'Add/Remove' in the XP Control-Panel function would not have worked."

:) sad to hear that TM screw this up, anyway, revo uninstaller pro got forced uninstall feature plus it got multiple layer of safe checking technology so it'll not delete the critical system registry/file/folder, it even got real time monitoring feature while installing so every changes will be monitor & then u can easily uninstall it cleanly ,but this 2 awesome features only apply to paid ver...

Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community

Nulander

This problem was mainly

Post by Nulander » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:04 pm

This problem was mainly focused on Symantec products. It seems that someone other has acquired they point of view about marketing (without realizing that Sym is still paying for the reputation-drop backfire).
-----

mostly not a good idea

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Commonly it's not a god idea to install more the one realtime scanner at a time on the same system.
Nearly all scanners are using the same system hooks to monitor the different actions. If one scanner is owning a specific hook and the second scanner will catch the same hook in this time, what other could be the result then an error.
For the use of security software aplies the same as for the most other things in life, what matters is not the quantity but the quality.