How can I test for cookies properly-can I create a second copy of FireFox?

i☆

How can I test for cookies properly-can I create a second copy of FireFox?

Post by i☆ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:01 pm

On FireFox 3.6, between NoScript, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, and the list of exceptions I've piled up, it would take me half an hour to remove all the exceptions every time I wanted to check out a site. Is there any way that I can create a second copy with different add-ons?

Or, can I create a list of exceptions from the exceptions in the Site Preferences so that when I click "Clear Site Preferences" it doesn't delete every site in the list? Example: I need to allow cookies from mywot.com, and I don't want to have to click allow again every time I clear my list.

Jazspeak

RE: How can I test for cookies properly-can I create a second co

Post by Jazspeak » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

"Is there any way that I can create a second copy with different add-ons?"

You could do it by using a Virtual Machine. Indeed, there is some merit in using a VM for extra security when visiting potentially unsavoury sites, and the browser in the VM could be equipped with all addons for site analysis, whilst the host OS browser is only used for navigating completely trusted sites.

i☆

Post by i☆ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm

I started reading Wikipedia's article and decided after two lines that it doesn't seem worth the effort...any other suggestions?

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:33 pm

@ Op
do you have a USB key drive?
If so, you may like to use Firefox Portable

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Using a Second (or Third) Profile with Firefox Portable

http://portableapps.com/support/firefox_portable#second_profile

i☆

Post by i☆ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

I installed it to my hard drive and it seems to work-but I can't run both the Portable and the original version at once...that's a drag.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm

I installed it to my hard drive and it seems to work-but I can't run both the Portable and the original version at once...that's a drag.

You should install FF portable into a USB drive if you want to run it separately with no problems

Warxas

Post by Warxas » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:54 pm

You should be able to make a second Firefox profile. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing%20profiles

i☆

Post by i☆ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:25 am

That sort of works-but I still can't open the two profiles in different windows at the same time. Also, I can't seem to change the settings on the non-default profile. I go to tools->options->use custom settings for history, and click ok, and when I do it again, it's automatically reverted back to the "Remember history" option. I'll try making a usb drive copy tomorrow.

Warxas

Sandboxie

Post by Warxas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 am

Or you can just use sandboxie, that way whatever settings you do in there will stay that way. (Until you delete the sandbox of course) And the settings won't be affected in normal firefox.
This way, you can have both open at the same time.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 am

Why would it take you a half hour?
I have all the same and can get all the info I need with just a few clicks, and use my main profile.
Confused with your issue.