marko2002

Sami, I see the widget your

Post by marko2002 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Sami, I see the widget your referring to, will definately look into that
Mark

logicman

Questions and answers.

Post by logicman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Mark: sometimes knowledge leaps new boundaries, not because we know the right answers, but because we know the right questions.

I like your questions. :-)

marko2002

logicman, thanks for the

Post by marko2002 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:36 pm

logicman, thanks for the vote of confidence, I guess my mind is always "on" in regards to things I feel passionate about, and to have my website known for it's clean content is something I am most definately passionate about ..... that and beer!! :)
Mark

phantazm

Count me in...

Post by phantazm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:51 pm

I also voted green. And seeing there was yet no comments, I added at least a oneliner...

logicman

I also voted green.

Post by logicman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:48 pm

I just added a brief comment. :-)

YoKenny

You must be a fan of Homer

Post by YoKenny » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:34 am

You must be a fan of Homer Simpson.

phantazm

Possible problems...

Post by phantazm » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 am

marko2002: "Being more specific to your questions BobJam, I know where you're coming from with the problem of WOT listing green when the site has now turned red, but again we would be reliant on WOTs users rating the site and our visitors hitting a "panic button" which could lead directly to WOT to rate the site accordingly."

I like the idea of a "panic button". But I can also predict possible problems here. If people have installed WOT in their browser, then they already have a button: the WOT icon. But if they go straight from your site to WOT, then they may risk being told that only registered members can vote. If they then registrer, the next problem is that people voting for the first time(s) have very little voting power...

These are not ultimate problems, but rather stones on the road.
And I'm sure there's some workarounds. Here's a few possibilities:

If users of freewarebb.com hit the 'panic button' and vote, their individual votes would not carry much weight. But if they were identified as "the group of freewarebb-users", then their ratings could be accumulated somehow to increase weight...

"Request a comment" could also be used to influence a rating, without voting. Example: if 100 freewarebb-members requested a comment, the site would jump to the top of the request-list, and stay there long enough to be rerated...

PS: These are not issues specific for freewarebb only;
rather a more general problem - so a general solution would be nice.. :)

marko2002

QUOTE "You must be a fan of

Post by marko2002 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 pm

QUOTE "You must be a fan of Homer Simpson."
Oh god yes, someday I want to be just as proficient in the drinking of beer as good ole Homer :)

Thanks to everyone again who has taken the time to respond on this thread and thanks also to everyone who voted for our site.

phantazm, I know exactly what you're saying and the more I think about it the more complex it all becomes as for one solution results another potential problem. In regards to the "panic button" I've been thinking a little more about this. We have a feature on the site already which allows registered members to "report this file" whereby they are able to send a comment to us. Meanwhile the listing itself is then displayed as "This file has been reported broken" and whatever the person who reported it sent in their comments is also displayed. I'm now actually thinking of displaying a panic button on each listing which would link to this feature as more people would probably be inclined to use that than a simple link. Problem is, do I open this up to guest's also or leave it purely for members? If I opened it up to guests there is the potential for abuse but if I limit it to members I'm banking on them being bothered to use it!. Decisions decisions!!!!
I think WOT integration would be an absolute storm for both us and WOT, and with nearly 2000 unique visitors hitting us each day there is definately potential for WOT to gather awsome stats and feedback although I can understand WOT's concerns over associating themselves directly with any site in such a manner. For now then, I think we need to work on internal solutions but if anyone can suggest or offer any other idea's which may help please feel free to keep the comments coming, we are always all ears!
Regards
Mark