My laptop crashed, lost all my files, including WOT

Fred.Strout

My laptop crashed, lost all my files, including WOT

Post by Fred.Strout » Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 pm

My laptop crashed, lost all my files, including WOT.

How do I recover my files?

Right now from what I gather, I have to start all over again!

Would these files be in my chrome takeout backup folder?

Fred

NotBuyingIt

RE: My laptop crashed, lost all my files, including WOT

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 pm

You very likely can have WOT restore your data by using the Synchronize tab on your user profile page.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon May 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Hi Fred,

You can always reinstall My WOT and than log into the forum with your user-name and password. I would recommend using at least two systems of back up storage for your files. Such as a Flash Drive. You can get a Google account and sign up for Google Drive, which gives you online cloud storage plus an Online Office Suite. With Google Drive, you get 15GB's of storage space. You can than get your files on any computer with an Internet Connection.

Microsoft also offers One Drive, with an On-Line Office Suite and free Microsoft Office on-line integration. You get that with a Microsoft Account Only 5GB of storage for new users for free. With backup files to any of these options, you know that your files will be safe.

Satch

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:27 am

[green] It all depends on what you mean by "[/green]all your files.[green]" If it was a complete drive wipeout of many sorts it may be possible to recover files using recovery programs such as Recuva. However, if the files were overwritten or securely shredded they are gone for good.

Also, if a drive physically failed it is possible to send it to a recovery service- but be warned that if they can recover your files you can expect the bills to be in the thou$ands.

If your browser profiles are still readable it is possible to recover (usually) everything such as bookmarks, history, extensions, data... assuming that those files weren't damaged. This also is a good reason to go with browsers that are easily backed up or cloned.

Lastly, it is important to have multiple backups- but cloud services from the likes of [/green][red] Microsucks[/red][green] or [/green][red] Google[/red][green] that make money from [/green][red]spying[/red][green] on people. Those are not good choices and for anyone with anything but the most trivial of data they will quickly exceed those caps.

Some of the better choices for backups are external hard drives and physical discs such as DVDs. External HDs tend to survive while internal drives fail. Just recently on my main rig a whopping 3 drives(1 SSD and 2 HDs) failed simultaneously- while the external HD kept chugging along. The reason why it is better to use physical backups(and also a potential negative as well)- as opposed to digital backups- is that nobody else ever gets hold of your files. Unless someone breaks into your home or business there is no security risk. For services that are eager to host your files ask yourself just how much do you trust them. If they are offering to do it for free then ask yourself how they are making money from giving things away for free and you will have your answer.

Good luck![/green]