New gold member

Atinc

Another New Gold Member

Post by Atinc » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 am

Hi Community members,

I too have reached the Gold member status today and am on my way toward Platinum already.

I find it a little confusing as to why Mass Rating tool has been disabled for the all Gold Members as a whole. It isn't fair to assume that all Gold Members will misuse it if given the privilege.

@ Atinc Grats on reaching

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:49 am

@ Atinc

Grats on reaching Gold :)

No it is not fair but WOT realised the MRT was being abused by too many Gold members so they increased the activity level to combat this as it can be a real pain getting Platinum so abusing the MRT is less likely to happen.

amishrabbit

You also get

Post by amishrabbit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:45 pm

-- Two extra rows for items in your inventory window
-- Access to the clan meeting rooms
-- Shiny new armor
-- One respec token for your character stats

Oh, wait, we're not talking about leveling up your MMO character, are we? My mistake.

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Correct.Except Blueberry Cake Level,of course!

Jazspeak

Re:

Post by Jazspeak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Why do so many WOT members think it is any sort of achievement to reach any particular activity level? I would be far more impressed if the OP (or any other WOT member) had come up with a cheap and effective cure for any of the diseases in the world, or solved the problems of feeding the starving millions in the world, or...(and so on).

It really is about time that WOT members got a sense of perspective about the activity levels. Reaching Gold, or any other level, is hardly cause for congratulation.

Edit: Grammar correction.

spectre

Post by spectre » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:06 pm

How many more points do I need to reach Blueberry Level ;-)

[img]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4861/blueberry.gif[/img]

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Lots of:)

Agree with most of it

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 am

@ Jazspeak,

I also am negatively amused at this inordinate focus on activity level.

At one time, WOT used it as a motivator, and it worked fine. But now with over 10 million users of the add on, I hardly think it is that useful anymore. It is an artifact of a bygone era, and it is causing a lot of problems.

Chief among them, IMO, is that novices equate reliability with activity level, and thus are easily misled by certain members who have achieved high activity levels BUT know very little about WOT and even less about rating. I've seen a lot of this lately, and it is very alarming.

On the flip side, I would not begrudge a congratulations to anyone who worked hard in understanding how WOT works and how to rate reasonably (not necessarily saying this applies to the newly minted activity level people in this thread). Activity level sometimes reflects this, but I think it's dangerous to assume so.

As I said, it's unfortunate that novices often do so.

Another problem I see with this emphasis on activity level "colors" is that frequently web site owners have the same novice misconception and when they clearly see flawed reasoning in rating by, say, a Platinum member, WOT gets a black eye and the web site owner thinks "If this is an example of WOT's best raters, no wonder it is not trusted."

phantazm

"this inordinate focus on activity level."

Post by phantazm » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:09 am

@ BobJam

I tend to agree. New users (and especially those who wants a re-rating) sometimes confuse activity with reliability.
Perhaps this problem would be smaller, if activity level was displayed only on the profile page, not outside..?

Once that way

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:51 am

@ phantazm,

"if activity level was displayed only on the profile page, not outside[/b]"
Before this board appearance was redesigned, it was that way. I think you were around then.

I vaguely recall a thread on this very topic . . . activity level displayed on the forum . . . and WOT gave their reasoning. Unfortunately, I can't remember what that was.

Anyway, I don't remember we had this emphasis on activity level in "the old days". But then "the old days" always seem better than they actually were. If we didn't have a problem with excessive activity level focus, I'm sure we had many other problems that in our nostalgia we conveniently forget.

Maybe this is just "The Law of Unintended Consequences" taking over.