Please fix WOT for Firefox

Myxt

RE: Please fix WOT for Firefox

Post by Myxt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:13 am

You may be able to restore v20151208 if you have a backup of
C:\Users\userId\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profileId.default\extensions\{GUID}
where:
- "userId" = your user account for your computer,
- "profileId" = a random 8-byte character string that identifies your unique Firefox profile,
- "GUID" = a unique hexadecimal identifier of the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

1. Search your backups for C:\Users\userId\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profileId.default\extensions

2. Within each \extensions folder, search for "WOT" (sans quotes). If it's there, you will get multiple obvious hits for one GUID subfolder.
If it's not there, stop here: this method will not recover it.

3. To restore the WoT extension to a specific Firefox installation, shut down that Firefox browser, then copy the found GUID subfolder to the \extensions folder from which it was lost.

4. Start Firefox, then follow the prompts in install the recovered WoT extension, then synchronize your profile if needed.

NotBuyingIt

[O.T.] WOT version 20151208

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:22 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Version 20151208 of the WOT extension will run on version 52.0.2 of the Firefox browser, but the Mozilla Foundation will not permit you to install it out of serious concerns over security and privacy flaws. See
https://blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/i1523.html
[/quote]<quote user="myxt">
You may be able to restore v20151208 if you have a backup of
C:\Users\userId\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profileId.default\extensions\{GUID}
where:
- "userId" = your user account for your computer,
- "profileId" = a random 8-byte character string that identifies your unique Firefox profile,
- "GUID" = a unique hexadecimal identifier of the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
[/quote]
(Beyond veering off-topic) I was mistaken on two counts.

[*]The most recently released Firefox browser will install version 20151208 of the WOT extension, provided you can find it from a third-party site. Firefox requires you to manually enable it after installation.
[*] Since neither WOT nor Mozilla offers the old extension or supports it, the installation most likely exposes users to serious security and privacy vulnerabilities.

Anyhow, I could locate the addon at several very popular download sites. I downloaded
web_of_trust_wot_website_reputation_ratings-20151208-sm+fx.xpi
from one of the sites and scanned it at VirusTotal.com . See
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d8400717222e ... /analysis/

As a test using MacOS, I dragged the file from my Downloads folder and dropped it into an open Firefox browser window to initiate installation. However, I don't encourage anyone to take the risks. I believe that using either Chrome or Opera would be enormously more prudent given the current situation. Additionally, I don't believe that the WOT addon is an adequate substitute for anti-virus software or for a firewall.
&nbsp;

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Readers interested in the status of an updated version of the WOT addon for Firefox may wish to follow the mozilla-community.org discussion at
https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/t/web-of-trust-wot-approval-delay/14742/3
It's a huge add-on and a tricky review because there are a few things they need to fix. We [at Mozilla] have been in constant communication with them [WOT[, and hopefully a new version will be published soon.
&nbsp;

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Fri May 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Fixed: _https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri May 05, 2017 8:57 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
Fixed: _https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/
[/quote]
To easily install the WOT update, Firefox users may wish to select the "Check for Updates" function in the Gear widget at the top center of the browser's Tools->Add-ons page. This may also be a good time to review WOT's privacy policy. After installing, a user (who accepts the privacy policy) may need to enable "Real-time Protection" in the WOT settings in order for the WOT "traffic light" icon on the browser's location bar to function. Immediately after installing the WOT extension, clicking on the inactive (gray) traffic light icon should open a dialog box which allows Real-time Protection to be enabled.
&nbsp;