Problems with the website

Myxt

Re: Problems with the website: anonymous ratings is broken

Post by Myxt » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:30 pm

Anonymous ratings is now broken: scorecards require a minimum 15-byte comment.

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Myxt wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:30 pm
Yes Myxt, however if one puts in fifteen hard spaces, such works I believe.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:43 am

A440 wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm
1. Then your avatar (and star rating, if originally enabled) will appear with your "blank" comment - hardly anonymous.
2. Such comments would have dinged your reliability score in the old WoT system. Whether this remains is unknown.

A440

Post by A440 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 am

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:43 am
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm
1. Then your avatar (and star rating, if originally enabled) will appear with your "blank" comment - hardly anonymous.
2. Such comments would have dinged your reliability score in the old WoT system. Whether this remains is unknown.
Myxt,
Oops, maybe I should go back and put in some witty commentary "because this site sux dees nutz" or something.
I suspect that the current iteration of WOT is lacking many such refinements considering how many "N/A" and suspiciously high scores for bs sites.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:40 am

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:39 am
Myxt,
Oops, maybe I should go back and put in some witty commentary "because this site sux dees nutz" or something.
I suspect that the current iteration of WOT is lacking many such refinements considering how many "N/A" and suspiciously high scores for bs sites.
In this case, we don't comprehensively know what still works and what doesn't.

Old WoT gave more trust to members whose posts were more complex; some of the weighty copy-pasta comments are written by spammers using advice from that era. I even coaxed Timo into adding rudimentary word analysis to flag garbage. At approximately generation 2, members could enable / disable a display of their exact ratings in the scorecards; that feature still exists, but today's devs either have bigger fish to fry (the fish seem to be getting cold) or they simply can't find the code. It was one user profile option of many which, I've been told, still exist, but those controls have been hidden from users. I've long tried to get them to allow moderators some authority over rating-user profiles.

Remember that anonymous ratings are / were a double-edged sword: When a terrorist acquaintance, who knows where you live, doesn't know that is was you who demolished his BS site's reputation, anonymous ratings are / were a safety feature. But when a bunch of his paid or loyal reputationless minions gang up to boost his site's trust score, you / we tend to regard that score as "suspiciously high / low", when there is in fact nothing suspicious about it; sufficient minions, using matching ratings and categories, gain influence. For years I have written copious dissertations to both the devs and the staff of various generations, pressing them to value members' safety above the mere promotional value of numerous comments on the scorecards of valueless sites; that effort has been successful until the current unresponsive generation.

My question is: am I satisfied to say nothing while WoT begins to resemble McDonald's Happy Meals - the perfectly gray "democracy" where, no matter how rabid the site, it deserves equity? An acquaintance made a cliché of "Everybody deserves to make a living," until I asked "Even thieves and hit-men?" "Umm, no."