Unexplainable Thumbs Down

resourcesforlife

Unexplainable Thumbs Down

Post by resourcesforlife » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm still new to MyWOT and the Forum, so I want to get a better idea of how things work.

I've noticed something that doesn't make sense. I've seen in a few places where reputable members with long-standing and good status have placed comments on website scorecards. Their comments are not opinion, but simply stating facts such as, "This site is clean according to URLVoid..." and that comment will get one or two thumbs down. I don't see how someone can disagree with fact.

The only explanation I can think of for such things is: (1) Someone with malicious intent toward MyWOT wants to mess with the comments. (2) Maybe somehow by rating other people's comments as not helpful that somehow reduces their influence at MyWOT, and thus helps the person doing it feel superior and get more influence. (3) A person with bias toward the website in question just wants to do whatever they can to suggest it is not trustworthy.

That's all I can come up with. Maybe someone here has a better answer.

Ultimately, such behavior unnecessarily calls into question the reliability, professionalism, and objectiveness of those on the site. I say "unnecessarily" because most of the people here are polite, knowledgeable, and helpful.

I wonder if there's any way the Admins could install a program into the system that would perform an internal validity / quality-check and detect this kind of thing. For example, if the same user continues to put thumbs down on many comments, this could be detected. It might be a way to help detect and eliminate those who are here simply to mess with the system.

Greg

resourcesforlife

RE: Unexplainable Thumbs Down

Post by resourcesforlife » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 am

Well... I've had no answer to my question about unexplainable thumbs down ratings, and the problem seems to have become worse in the past 24 hours.

Now, on my website scorecard, for every thumbs up comment that was placed (by long-time trusted MyWOT members), there are an equal number of thumbs down. What are the chances of an identical number of thumbs down for every thumbs up that every positive comment has received? It's as if some prankster is intent on making a point.

There are thumbs down being placed against comments that aren't opinions, they are simply factual. Why would someone go to the trouble of doing that, other than to simply be malicious?

If someone has something negative to say about the site, you'd think that would show up as a negative comment. Yet, there's only one person who has commented negatively (three times).

If anyone out there has a concern with the site, then please use the site evaluations forum to express those concerns so I can address them and make the needed corrections. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:46 am

Yes, on the internet you will always find some weirdos that think twisted and vote stuff up or down for no logic reason (at least to most of us).

No, you shouldn't waste your precious time by spinning into conspiracy theories just because some weirdos invest their time in a thumb-up or thumb-down of one or more comments. Comments don't count when it comes to a website's score. Only ratings count!!!

Read http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments to be able to lean back and relax.

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:05 am

Well... at least one person (I assume it's one person) has gone through and removed the thumbs down rating they posted on every one of the nine positive comments for my site. I'm not sure who you are, but thank you! So now, for every number of thumbs up, there's the equal (minus 1) in thumbs down.

I recognize that most people browsing the Internet will never make it to the scorecard page, especially for sites that are in the green.

I recognize that the comments don't impact a sites ratings.

I recognize that this probably seems like I'm paying too much attention to the ratings that ratings are getting.

My primary concern with the thumbs down was simple that it didn't make sense, and if anything it just makes the MyWOT user community look less consistent. It also seemed a bit suspect that in 24 hours, magically there were an equal amount of thumbs down for every thumbs up that had been posted. That just didn't seem plausible based on the natural voting that would normally take place. It seemed a little bit intentional. I'm new here, and still building trust in the reliability and authenticity of the WOT system.

I was thankful to have nine respected long-time WOT members leave positive ratings, with only one leaving negative. That seemed like something to be thankful for, and I'm still thankful for that.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:14 am

Why are you so concerned about these thums up/down really...? It's just only a type of anonymous opinion for people who prefer to keep anonymity (without expressing opinion publicly on own comments), it does not affect the site's reputation anyway. No one knows what reason makes people to thumb up or thumb down comments on the scorecards, either malicious intent or may be they simply don't agree with something. It may be not only text in the comment like "safe site according to URLVoid" but category, e.g.: "Good site", some people may be disagree with chosen category, if they think "it is not a Good site". Opinion is opinion - only author knows it.

Edit: spelling correction

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:04 pm

<quote user="nick vini">
Why are you so concerned about these thums up/down really...? It's just only a type of anonymous opinion for people who prefer to keep anonymity (without expressing opinion publicly on own comments), it does not affect the site's reputation anyway. No one knows what reason makes people to thumb up or thumb down comments on the scorecards, either malicious intent or may be they simply don't agree with something. It may be not only text in the comment like "safe site according to URLVoid" but category, e.g.: "Good site", some people may be disagree with chosen category, if they think "it is not a Good site". Opinion is opinion - only author knows it.

Edit: spelling correction
[/quote]

Nick,

Thanks for the reply, and reassurance regarding the minimal impact that the ratings of ratings have. I wasn't so much concerned for my website reputation as perplexed about why people would do that. I'm not going to worry about it.

Greg

Figure10

Post by Figure10 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Sometimes site owners go through their scorecards and thumb-down comments they don't like, or if they've had a forum thread and were 'found out' as a scammer they might resent a commenter and thumb down a comment out of spite.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Well, we're on the internet, and WOT is a very big service, of course there will be all sorts of people here, just like theres on the internet

resourcesforlife

Post by resourcesforlife » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 pm

<quote user="omnia quaerite ac dubitate">
Well, we're on the internet, and WOT is a very big service, of course there will be all sorts of people here, just like theres on the internet
[/quote]

It's obvious, but yes, I'm realizing that now, but for some reason didn't' really think about it initially. Just because a person sets up a forum doesn't mean we will magically be living in a bubble free of hackers, mischief makers, pranksters, etc.

It does seem that the WOT system is configured to be resilient against those influences, so that's a good thing, and the community of people here who are vocal and active seem to be considerate and well informed. So, that also helps.

thomassisson

Post by thomassisson » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Although I cannot respond specifically to the comments in question, I have given a thumbs up or thumbs down to statements that may appear to be facts. Sometimes facts are opinions and sometimes opinions are facts. A person may state a fact that, in his opinion, makes a perfect point. This statement may make perfect sense to you, but not to everyone. If you are concerned with your ratings and comments, ask friends, clients, customers, or whoever uses you site to rate your site and make positive comments. Promote WOT by giving a link to the site to sign up for the service.