Untrusted site gets green donut

Site-rater

Untrusted site gets green donut

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:58 pm

At https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/parler.com Trust level is 36 and Child Safety is 23 but the add-on is still giving a green donut.

NotBuyingIt

Re: Untrusted site gets green donut

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 pm

Site-rater wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:58 pm
Trust level is 36 and Child Safety is 23 but the add-on is still giving a green donut.
Here's some more data about the scorecard for parler.com
  • Confidence Level: Very Low for Trustworthiness
  • Confidence Level: N/A for Child Safety
  • Alexa Rank: 37174
Until WoT has "sufficient" ratings from its users, it "supplements" (or maybe really ignores) those ratings with its secretive "Machine Learning" algorithm. My guess is that intentionally or not, the algorithm won't yield any adverse indicator to very popular sites.

Cynics among the WoT users' community may suspect that "market share" has something to do with such discordant "Reputation" donuts/doughnuts. I don't know about that; poor confidence levels might often make for a reasonable explanation. However, until WoT gives a detailed and cogent explanation of its Machine Learning, I'm certainly in no position to advocate for it. Personally, I never rely upon any WoT reputation that involves either Machine Learning or its unpublished blacklists. I very much preferred the previously used "no-opinion" indicator instead of the Machine Learning.

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm

NotBuyingIt wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:41 pm
Site-rater wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:58 pm
Trust level is 36 and Child Safety is 23 but the add-on is still giving a green donut.
Here's some more data about the scorecard for parler.com
  • Confidence Level: Very Low for Trustworthiness
  • Confidence Level: N/A for Child Safety
  • Alexa Rank: 37174
Until WoT has "sufficient" ratings from its users, it "supplements" (or maybe really ignores) those ratings with its secretive "Machine Learning" algorithm. My guess is that intentionally or not, the algorithm won't yield any adverse indicator to very popular sites.

Cynics among the WoT users' community may suspect that "market share" has something to do with such discordant "Reputation" donuts/doughnuts. I don't know about that; poor confidence levels might often make for a reasonable explanation. However, until WoT gives a detailed and cogent explanation of its Machine Learning, I'm certainly in no position to advocate for it. Personally, I never rely upon any WoT reputation that involves either Machine Learning or its unpublished blacklists. I very much preferred the previously used "no-opinion" indicator instead of the Machine Learning.
Hey guys,
Thanks for sharing this.
Our team is looking into it as we speak in order to find out what's the issue.
We appreciate your vigilance!

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 am

Ref: https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/parler.com

@MyWOT-Team,
I have flagged a scorecard comment dated 7-Janurary-2021 for being insulting (and maybe harassing) to specfic WoT users. Coincidentally, several other insulting comments were posted on the scorecard around the same time, but they are less specific.

A440

Umm, WTF?!

Post by A440 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:35 pm

The problems which are reflected in the ratings of hate, discrimination and the newer forms of debasement (political disinformation, rumour, gossip, psuedoscience, etc) are obviously present in this site and well documented, thus the donut should be quite red.
I just added yet another supporting link which makes a clear case of parler being used to promote violence:
. . . Accounts connected to supporters of Trump, QAnon and far-right anti-government group III%ers explicitly or implicitly call for violence on Parler, with some asserting Wednesday (01.06.21), “the war begins today.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2021/01/06/trump-riot-twitter-parler-proud-boys-boogaloos-antifa-qanon/6570794002/

The poor ratings this site has accumulated is for a very obvious and well documented reason that lies well beyond mere opinion, thus I wonder if the "machine" has fallen asleep during class, yes?

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 am

Google (08-Janurary-2021): 'In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the [parler] app's listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.'

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:32 am

I note that, as of today, there is even one scorecard comment claiming that the ratings for this site are bot driven, i.e., "negative botted ratings on here by malicious actors".

So I'm a bot and a malicious actor now? :lol:

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:06 am

NotBuyingIt wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:50 am
Google (08-Janurary-2021): 'In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the [parler] app's listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.'
And yet WOT is still tagging it as safe. Apparently Support has ignored the issue despite the high risk posed by their members.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:33 pm

It appears the "Machine Learning" doesn't detect instances of typosquatting, specifically https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/snopes.news

The "Machine Learning" should be able to scan WHOIS records to see if a new TLD of a name or a misspelling belongs to the genuine site and behaves like the genuine site or a portion thereof. If not, then it should flag as unsafe.

NotBuyingIt

Amazon: Parler poses "very real risk to public safety"

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:53 pm

Reuters (09-Janurary 2021)
Due to the “very real risk to public safety” that Parler poses, AWS plans to suspend Parler’s account effective Sunday, at 11:59 p.m. PST [Monday, 7:59 AM UTC]
source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-parler/apple-amazon-suspend-parler-social-network-from-app-store-and-web-hosting-service-idUSKBN29F00O

WoT (10-Janurary-2021)
[Parler.com is] Considered safe by WOT
source: https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/parler.com