Why don't my ratings count?

ethanfeinsilver

Why don't my ratings count?

Post by ethanfeinsilver » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 am

I notice the sites I rate still say "no data." How does this work? I am not a website owner or anything, just someone who uses the Chrome extension when browsing. I would like to contribute to the "community" but it's discouraging when I take the time to rate a site and my ratings don't seem to count. What am I missing here?

Myxt

Re: Why don't my ratings count?

Post by Myxt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am

Your ratings do count, just not in a way that you can put on your résumé. Generically, WoT gauges a site's trust score based on the "wisdom of the crowd"; you are one member of the crowd.

Additionally, as the WoT system learns to trust your ratings, they begin to carry more "weight". In any case, forget the résumé: it could draw unwanted attention from owners of sites you don't trust.

NotBuyingIt

Re: Why don't my ratings count?

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:36 am

ethanfeinsilver wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 am
I would like to contribute to the "community" but it's discouraging when I take the time to rate a site and my ratings don't seem to count.
Myxt wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am
as the WoT system learns to trust your ratings, they begin to carry more "weight".
Ratings contributed via the WOT add-on (or extension) when "Real-time protection" is off are anonymous. WOT cannot attribute anonymous ratings to a user's account and consequently anonymous ratings cannot build the user's "weight". The ratings attributed to your account are listed in the "My ratings" tab of your profile page at https://www.mywot.com/en/user/
Your new ratings will be added to that list almost immediately, but may not be included in the calculation of a site's reputation for a while.

The WOT system calculates reputation scores for domains and for sub-domains. WOT may sometimes display scorecards for a site's subdirectories and sometimes appear to accept your ratings for subdirectories, but with the exception of Twitter, I doubt that WOT actually maintains reputation scores for subdirectories.