WOT asking for my location

Site-rater

WOT asking for my location

Post by Site-rater » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am

I opened a scorecard on WOT today and Chrome said that www.mywot.com was asking for my location. What is going on? I see no reason for WOT to be asking for location seeing that it rates DNS names which have nothing to do with viewer locations.

Myxt

Re: WOT asking for my location

Post by Myxt » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:27 am

Site-rater wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:33 am
I opened a scorecard on WOT today and Chrome said that www.mywot.com was asking for my location. What is going on? I see no reason for WOT to be asking for location seeing that it rates DNS names which have nothing to do with viewer locations.
Everybody wants to know your location these days, so it's hardly a surprise if yet another legitimate app tries. But remember: You originally and wisely told Chrome that if anyone wants to know your location, Chrome should first ask you for your permission before handing it over.

Because Google knows where you are down to about 3 ft**2, there's no reason for most developers to reinvent the wheel; they just ask Google for it. If you want to be famous, or if you don't care (or don't know) that your location is published, then Google's products will tell anyone who asks.

You could ask Staff why, or we could speculate: Maybe there is now a clandestine partner who is a PII scavenger. Or maybe WoT would like to know if you, with the roaming IP address, are the one who is creating 100s of disallowed member accounts to spam the scorecards; or whether there are enough members living in China to warrant adding another translation.

When I got that pop-up yesterday, I did what I (almost) always do: I just said no. It hasn't asked again.