WOT Extension causes extreme slowdowns in Firefox

Arceist.Justin

WOT Extension causes extreme slowdowns in Firefox

Post by Arceist.Justin » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 pm

My Firefox is randomly but frequently slowing to a crawl. When it does, a bar will pop up at the top of the page telling me that the Web of Trust extension is causing the browser to slow. I hit ignore every time it showed—but it got to the point where the browser was unusable until I clicked "disable" with the next notification bar pop up. Firefox was not slow anymore after clicking disable but now I do not have WOT!

NotBuyingIt

Re: WOT Extension causes extreme slowdowns in Firefox

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:42 pm

You may need to provide the WOT staff with information concerning the slowdown. You may send the staff email at support@mywot.com . Be sure to include the information that is typically needed for problems with any browser extension:
[*]Your computer's operating system and its version
[*]Your browser's name and its version; e.g., Firefox version 60.0.2 (64-bit)
[*]The name and version number of each and every installed browser extension; e.g., WOT Web of Trust version 20180530.0wot
[*]If possible and provided you don't mind, several URLs of web pages that consistently exhibit the problem.
[*]If possible, a screen-shot or verbatim text of the error message your receive.

By the way, the WOT extension isn't expected to function very well in beta versions of a web browser, but bug reports may still be helpful to the WOT developers.

I don't know the status of the servers providing WOT's real-time protection, but the server for its forum is having intermittent performance issues. (I'm guessing persistent DoS attacks may be involved.) If network or server performance is to blame, other users should notice the same errors.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm

The day after I posted my previous comment, Mozilla posted a newer version of the WOT extension on its Firefox release channel — version 20180613.0wot (last updated 17 June 2018) is now available. Perhaps it might help with randomly occurring slowdowns.

Arceist.Justin

Post by Arceist.Justin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:45 pm

I still have the issue from time to time still today