WOT: Two Problems:

Erwin Rommelfan

Re: WOT: Two Problems:

Post by Erwin Rommelfan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Firefox is very new to me. I'm probably gonna use Firefox for now to retrieve past sites I have rated, so I can go back and give them a final rating on Internet Explorer.

Erwin Rommelfan

WOT for Firefox Pros and Cons:

Post by Erwin Rommelfan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Pros:
1. Fixed all problems that were discussed.
2. Puts users rating icon next to link. (If you rated it red it will show red.)

Cons:
1. There's no way to block the sites when its rated with a unsafe rating, so malicious popups will still popup.

Myxt

Re: WOT for Firefox Pros and Cons:

Post by Myxt » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 am

Erwin Rommelfan wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm
Pros:
1. Fixed all problems that were discussed.
2. Puts users rating icon next to link. (If you rated it red it will show red.)

Cons:
1. There's no way to block the sites when its rated with a unsafe rating, so malicious popups will still popup.
Blocking in Firefox: Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > scroll to WoT > Options > enable Real-time protection (after viewing the linked Privacy Policy)

Suggestion for your consideration:

On my PC, I installed Chrome, Firefox, and Opera; and of course Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer are baked-in to Windows 10. I commonly do 4 general kinds of activities: (1) account management, research, and sensitive transactions; (2) checking out risky sites; (3) anonymous browsing; (4) writing web page code so it behaves properly in the major browsers. And so, respectively, I use (1) Chrome, lightly armored, with most sharing disabled; (2) Firefox, "armed to the teeth" because so many defenses (like NoScript) are written for it; (3) Opera, with its built-in VPN and some defensive extensions; (4) Internet Explorer (with the other 3 browsers). I simply don't like Edge.

I'm not saying you should use them this way; but I am passing along a general recommendation to allocate certain browsers to certain types of tasks. For example, it would be quite tedious and unproductive to repeatedly disable defenses just to do online banking; it could even be dangerous if I forgot to re-enable defenses before investigating a bad site. Instead, I drive the town-car to the bank, and the tank into the war-zone (accompanied by a full Internet security suite, monthly verification scans with MalwareBytes, and automatic daily system backups to an external drive that is only turned on at backup time).

Erwin Rommelfan

WOT for IE11 and Firefox not blocking?

Post by Erwin Rommelfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 am

Just noticed this yesterday, on IE11 it seems like Wot isn't blocking the websites I rated poor nor unknown rated sites anymore, such as popups that have fake anti-virus advertisements and scam recordings saying I need to call them to get rid of the virus.(That scared me. I had to go into task manager and forcefully close IE11.)

Then I went into Firefox, and there's no blocking poor sites in Firefox either, just warnings which don't help popups.
My Real-time protection setting is on also.

Myxt

Re: WOT for IE11 and Firefox not blocking?

Post by Myxt » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:14 am

Erwin Rommelfan wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 am
Just noticed this yesterday, on IE11 it seems like Wot isn't blocking the websites I rated poor nor unknown rated sites anymore, such as popups that have fake anti-virus advertisements and scam recordings saying I need to call them to get rid of the virus.(That scared me. I had to go into task manager and forcefully close IE11.)

Then I went into Firefox, and there's no blocking poor sites in Firefox either, just warnings which don't help popups.
My Real-time protection setting is on also.
I can't tell you much about WoT in IE. In addition to being insecure, IE always gave me trouble after installing add-ons in it; that's why I now only use it to check my web page layouts.

The WoT browser add-on should be able to block domains, but pop-up windows aren't domains - they are created in the browser's memory by a script instruction. For this reason, modern browsers have special pop-up blocking features. Find them in the browsers' Tools or Options menus. IE11 also as a feature called Windows Defender SmartScreen Filter in its Tools menu. Understand that if a bad site only wants to advertise to scam you, then it's probably not trying to infect your computer - unless you get fooled and allow someone to remotely control your computer.

I have Real Time Protection enabled in Firefox in my PC, but it doesn't block (prevent me from going to) bad sites, it only warns me about them if the aggregate trust score is low enough - regardless of how I personally rated them. It does block them in Android. If a site tries to do anything really bad, my local security package blocks it.

As always, you need a high-powered security package on your machine, that not only kills malware when it arrives, but also prevents it from arriving at all. Or you need to be that one, very lucky, minimalist uber-geek (who can rapidly restore his system before anyone learns that his luck ran out). Good browsers can help keep you safe, but this is not their primary function.

EDIT, two-and-a-half more points:

I don't rely on any single engine to decide where I surf. If it's new to me, it usually gets tested at VirusTotal before I visit.

Since rating categories (e.g., Spam, Scam, Malware) have begun to affect ratings, and since the warning threshold has been adjusted to be less sensitive, the system's confidence in a low trust score needs to be higher in order to trigger a warning or block.

The WoT add-on behaves a bit differently in different browsers (in different operating systems) which have different capabilities.