software.informer.com manages to avoid WOT ratings comments

WOT Firefox Add-on User

software.informer.com manages to avoid WOT ratings comments

Post by WOT Firefox Add-on User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi.

I've been contributing to the WOT ratings for quite some time now, and never felt the need to post comments on the forums before. I am usually quite busy, like others.

Software Informer is now breaking that.

My problem is:

The WOT ratings can technically be manipulated: for example if you have 100 friends rate you up you may get a good rating on WOT.

What can not be manipulated is the negative comments that will be posted by people like us who care about the quality of our Internet.

So you may have 100 people rate your site positively, but if users of WOT check the comments for the site it will still show if one of us WOT-ers found malware and reports that finding in the comments. Myself, I never download from any site before checking the WOT comments. (and after downloading I have all files scanned by a free online scanning service - but never mind that -)

My problem with Software Informer is that the site assimilates my Google search words into it's URL. Evey search result is a different URL for this site. So, even though every page of the site inherits the reputation of the whole - The comments are stored per result. So my comments (and rating) pertain ing to the site as a whole are never being red by anyone except those who are searching for exactly what I was searching for.

Example:

I do a google search for : xslt editor wysiwyg "gpl"

Result: xslt.software.informer.com/download-xslt-editor-gpl/

It gives me the impression that they are a site that informs on XSLT editing software in the open source (GPL) license. In reality they are just a software download site.

I consider this to be closest to a browser hijack. This because google is part of many browsers - in the shape of the google toolbar.

What I want with my rating comments is to warn others this site is unreliable, but no one will read my comment because it will not show up in their WOT, like I described above.

For sites like this that purposely hijack our search results there should be some new feature in WOT that can make our comments visible whatever their URL's are shaped like.

siblingshot

RE: software.informer.com manages to avoid WOT ratings comments

Post by siblingshot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Sorry. I am having difficulty in following this.

Example:

I take your example, and google search for: xslt editor wysiwyg "gpl"

I get the following URL (1st result of 66,400 results):

https://code.google.com/p/extjs-xmleditor/

If you want to warn specifically against software.informer.com (ie, disagree with largely [uniformly] positive feedback) why not simply leave a comment on the scorecard ?

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/software.informer.com

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:22 pm

The WOT ratings can technically be manipulated: for example if you have 100 friends rate you up you may get a good rating on WOT.

Or not. You may want to read [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Reputations_are_easy_to_manipulate t=_self]the FAQ[/url].

What can not be manipulated is the negative comments that will be posted by people like us who care about the quality of our Internet.

Nonsense, anyone can write misleading comments and it's not possible to determine which ones can be trusted without knowing the website in question.

WOT Firefox Add-on User

Post by WOT Firefox Add-on User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:28 pm

If you want to warn specifically against software.informer.com (ie, disagree with largely [uniformly] positive feedback) why not simply leave a comment on the scorecard ?
I like to think that I may disagree with "largely [uniformly] positive" feedback. The majority ain't always right about everything.

I did post my comment on the scorecard, but that will only show up when you search directly for www.software.informer.com and not when you enter the same site at www.[insert-your-google-query-here].software.informer.com
Since they make their URL adapt your search query it changes to www.xml.software.informer.com or www.gpl.software.informer.com and then the comments are only visible when posted relating to the exact URL.
They purposely deceive you into thinking they are something they aren't. They are not a GPL website, they are not a website only for XML, which you may think when you see it's in their URL.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 pm

I like to think that I may disagree with "largely [uniformly] positive" feedback. The majority ain't always right about everything."

Of course. To hold an opinion contrary to the status quo is not just valid, but - in certain circumstances - commendable.

The obvious solution is to rate, and add supplementary comments, to each of those domains you cite. The process of rating specific URLs is not just pedantic, but impractical. Unreliable even.

They are not a GPL website, they are not a website only for XML, which you may think when you see it's in their URL."

True. The site you have issues with - software.informer.com - is, as its name suggests, a software aggregator with download links to those applications collated. Its scorecoard makes that abundantly clear.

WOT Firefox Add-on User

Post by WOT Firefox Add-on User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 pm

You may want to read the FAQ.
- ??? - I know the F.A.Q including the rating system methodology.

Anyone can write misleading comments and I am sure that happens a lot, but there is no easy way to manipulate the already written contents of a comment (you need to edit it yourself), and that's what I was talking about. Again: If I write a comment on a site and someone wants me to change it they will have to convince me. And believe me: They have attempted to do that.
They can out-vote my vote, but not out-comment my comment. It will remain visible to those who are looking for it.
It is not rare for bad sites to have an 'Excellent' rating. The presumption of a secure rating system would be rather arrogant in my opinion.

But I didn't start this topic to discuss the WOT system - I like to discuss software.informer.com. Charging at me with F.A.Q's in this style without responding to the essence of my topic is not a very nice reply to give someone at his first post. I most certainly don't talk nonsense it may rather be that you have misunderstood me. Asking me to elaborate instead could perhaps have clarified things.

siblingshot

Post by siblingshot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:23 pm

@ WOT Firefox Add-on User

I am quite convinced that Sami is capable of clarifying his response, but your own overtly defensive retort is nothing short of ridiculous.

Charging at me with F.A.Q's in this style without responding to the essence of my topic is not a very nice reply to give someone at his first post."

According to your user profile, this is your 153rd post. Like Bob Dylan's dream; or motorpsycho nightmare.

http://www.mywot.com/en/user/422289

I think you have had sufficient time - since June 2009, to be precise - to not just acquaint yourself with those forum stickies (a mere couple), but to familiarise yourself with how WOT functions in practice.

Again: If I write a comment on a site and someone wants me to change it they will have to convince me. And believe me: They have attempted to do that."

Really ? And I spy for the F.B.I.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 pm

there is no easy way to manipulate the already written contents of a comment

By linking to the FAQ I was trying to say that there's no easy way to manipulate reputations either. However, my point was that comments probably don't matter as much to most people, because they can't tell which comments can be trusted. I imagine it's fairly difficult for the average person to distinguish between a comment written by a security professional and a one written by a lunatic who thinks the government has installed secret mind control chips to everyone's head and is sending them commands through the TV. (There might be some overlap among these two groups... but I'm sure you get the idea.)

WOT Firefox Add-on User

Post by WOT Firefox Add-on User » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 pm

So they are just not affected by the scorecard comments relating to their site, since most people who use WOT only read the specific comments for the specific download page, not the whole site. That is - if they read them ofcourse. And that's how they're getting away with cluttering search results with their aggressive marketing methods. If more and more websites do this search results will become useless.

Search for Abortion Clinic and the results will give you abortion.clinic.software.informer.com
Every hit is cash for them.
This was a fictional example.

I'd like to know what kind of people own these websites - or rather - I'd like to see them exposed for what they are.

We know: They're greedy people that will say whatever you want to hear as long as they get your money. - They want their Rolex. - don't expect compassion from these types. They're a huge part of the pending downfall of (the freedom of) the Internet.

WOT Firefox Add-on User

Post by WOT Firefox Add-on User » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Again: The 153 posts by me were only scorecard comments - not forum.