Is it legal to collect credit card information from a non payment side

charrox

Is it legal to collect credit card information from a non payment side

Post by charrox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:10 pm

For instance apple takes your credit card information to create a itunes store account.
I just wanted to know whether this is legal and can they store our credit card info in their sites.

MysteryFCM

RE: Is it legal to collect credit card information from a non pa

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Yes. If it's secure it's both legal and ethical. If it's non-secure, it's legal but completely irresponsible.

charrox

Post by charrox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks. I needed to confirm.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 pm

It may be legal but one should never forget that this can, and often is exploited. If you are registering on a secure, trusted site to buy something then fine BUT if you are just visiting and the site wants this information during the process regardless of any purchase, then I would ask why and is this ethical! A fool and their credit card are easy victims of theft.

HansTheBlueFrog

Post by HansTheBlueFrog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 pm

I agree unless I trust the site and am buying something, I would never give my financial details to anyone. Why would you want to do that?

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Agreed, I never gave my credit card details to anyone unless a purchase was happening. They simply do not need this information regardless of the excuses they give.

Swapfire

Post by Swapfire » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 am

I'm sorry but I have to contradict here. How collecting my credit card info is ethical only to be able to open my account? This is done for no other reason, but to have "plausible client able to pay some time" and is very Jobs like.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:30 am

So very true, but that wasn't a part of the initial question.

If a site is asking for a credit/debit card just to register, then you should always instantly be suspicious. However, it should also be noted that some use these details to verify a registrants age (given these aren't available to minors), not something I agree with, but there's not exactly a more reliable option available at present.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:33 am

And I thought I was suspicious. It's ethical because some sites use it to verify you are not a minor, or verify you are who you say you are (e.g. PayPal use credit card verification (not to open the account, but to verify it)).

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:16 am

"So very true, but that wasn't a part of the initial question."

The original response was perfect. The iTunes store stocks some songs with "Explicit lyrics" that the store very likely cannot offer to minors.

Off-topic: In the USA, the iTunes store currently offers a "Songs for Japan" album for charity.