Internet explorer, bad idea

wehaveitall

Internet explorer, bad idea

Post by wehaveitall » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 am

Ok, I know that wot will be working for i explorer soon, but honestly, I don't think this is a great idea. First off, if you use internet explorer a lot, you probably don't know or care a whole lot about security. Second, wot is a small community, being only on firefox, which is exactly what makes it so good. IF too many people use it, the ratings may become inaccurate, and could cause some things to go wrong.

Timo

Internet explorer

Post by Timo » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Security should not be dependent on the browser you use. We want to provide WOT also to IE-users so that they can benefit from our community ratings.The more users join our community, the more accurate ratings we can provide to everyone.

Esa S.

Internet is for everyone

Post by Esa S. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:16 pm

Wehaveitall I understand your point, but I think we all should take a broader view. While part of the web is global, same parts of it are pretty focused on topics that are relevant for a specific group of people or people within one country or district. In order to reach the critical mass of people in these areas we need to reach people beyond the Firefox community. I see introduction of WOT for Microsoft Internet Explorer as a big leap forward. A bigger community means more people sharing their knowledge on websites to benefit us all.

Vednier

Easiest way to secure web - destroy insecure browsers like IE

Post by Vednier » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Actually, Mozilla Community don't care about IE user. They (IE users) get that they want, nothing more.
If they use insecure browser - nothing can stop them from downloading some viruses. So, releasing WOT for IE is nothing more then erasing border between secure (FF) and insecure browsers (IE). With WOT IE users just get some false safety and lose carefulness.
You need BRAIN first to use WOT, but all who have brains already dropped IE.
Ha-ha, WOT for IE just harm FF advantage on Browser Market!
Moreover, lately i often see strange things - some company release their software as FF addon, do more and more testings and...in the end create some clon of their soft - but for IE, and after it - they often forget about Firefox.
So, FF community is just " smartass testtube"...

Sami

We're not dropping Firefox

Post by Sami » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:10 am

I can assure you we have no intention of forgetting Firefox. Most of us use Linux here, and while Konqueror has made some great progress, Firefox is still the browser of choice among our developers.

That said, I don't agree with your point about IE users. Sure, there are people out there who don't know any better and use the browser just because it came preinstalled on their computer. However, there are others who may have no choice but to use IE due to company policy. I'm sure everyone can benefit from the additional information provided by WOT, despite the browser they use. Besides, while IE 7 may not necessarily be as secure as Firefox, it looks like a fairly decent browser to me.

talkingtofu2

Taylor Satula Keep It Only

Post by talkingtofu2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Taylor Satula
Keep It Only Firefox
I Aggree If You Use IE You Probally Dont Care About Security
And There Is So Many People On IE That They Will Clog Up The Results And Make Their Favorite Sites Good Even If They Are Not

So In A Nut Shell I Aggree

Hardik

A simple solution

Post by Hardik » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:52 am

First of all thx for this nice FF add-on, a really good idea

While ur idea of providing everyone with this service is decent, it is also true that IE users are usually less concerned about security otherwise they would be using FF.

A simple thing to do is give the FF users who have this add-on the choice if they want to use the ratings given by both IE and FF users or only the ratings given by FF users. A similar thing can be implemented for IE as well.

I understand it would mean more work for u but it resolves this issue and everybody wins.

Thx again.

phyzome

There are "anchors"

Post by phyzome » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:41 pm

Remember that user ratings are not the sole basis for the calculated scores Users whose ratings disagree with the following sources will have less effect on scores:
  • The overall community
  • Blacklists
  • Admins/trusted users
So n00b users shouldn't hurt the system too much.

darkkosmos

What are you guys talking about?

Post by darkkosmos » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:04 pm

So now any leap towards IE is bad? I sometimes to IE and I'd really appreciate wot being on it. Just because "n00bs" use it doesn't mean they can't see they've got to a spam site. I advise you all to think about why you don't want WOT to be on IE, is it because you guys hate IE or because of some good reason.

connorscomputershow

IE ftw!

Post by connorscomputershow » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 am

This would be good for people who are still using IE and do not have SiteAdvisor. Otherwise lots won't be secure.