Connect without Respect

nixiewot

Connect without Respect

Post by nixiewot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

That pesky old BBC won't let me watch a single video these days. [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/0/21259413 t=_self]This video was used, as the subject.[/url] After downloading the "correct version" of Adobe Shockwave Flash, I visited the page again and said the same thing. I can watch BBC videos (including iPlayer) without adverts, so why is it saying this?

Today is the 10th Annual Safer Internet Day, and the play on the motto in the title was intentional.

Jazspeak

RE: Connect without Respect

Post by Jazspeak » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 am

I don't understand what your issue is with the BBC. I have no problems watching videos from the BBC and there certainly shouldn't be any adverts since the BBC is not supposed to be advertising, although the BBC do advertise Farcebook and Twatter (much to my annoyance).

Are you sure that it is the BBC blocking you watching their videos?

Armored

RE: Connect without Respect

Post by Armored » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 pm

<quote user="nixiewot">
That pesky old BBC won't let me watch a single video these days
[/quote] Many videos on the BBC are limited to certain regions or countries. I tried accessing the BBC iplayer and it wouldn't let me watch anything because it's not available in "my area". I'm not particularly interested in watching videos from the BBC and the only reason I became aware of this region limitation is because I came across [url=http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/01/24/sweet-hola-lets-you-use-hulu-pandora-netflix-cbs-fox-bbc-iplayer-tv-and-itv-from-any-country/ t=_self] this post[/url] on TNW when I was investigating hola.org for spam. They apparently offer a "work-around" and they were given a nice review on TNW, but be careful because they have recently spammed the WOT forum-I suspect hola.org has either knowingly or unknowingly employed a black hat SEO company to promote their program. They have spammed WOT at least twice in the past few days.

It's funny though. . . Had it not been for their spam on this forum I would have not known anything about the BBC "restrictions" on watching videos.
<quote user="jazspeak">
I have no problems watching videos from the BBC
[/quote] UK residents are not effected by any restrictions in regards to watching videos on the BBC.

nixiewot

Spreading the Word.

Post by nixiewot » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Pretty much everywhere with Flash, apart from Adobe's test of a rolling Flash logo, detects I have not got the correct version (I have).

Can you help with this???

Jazspeak

RE: Spreading the Word.

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:27 pm

<quote user="nixiewot">
"Adobe's test of a rolling Flash logo, detects I have not got the correct version..."
[/quote]

Ah yes, I have seen that occasionally on the iPlayer when using Firefox, and either a page refresh or using Opera instead of Firefox usually does the trick.