Shouldiremoveit.com and WOT for Internet Explorer

builtwithreason

RE: Shouldiremoveit.com and WOT for Internet Explorer

Post by builtwithreason » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi c۞g,

Thank you for your observations. I will take a look into the WOT-Services-11014-program.aspx as well as the WOT-for-Internet-Explorer-12161-program.aspx this morning and see why these files are showing up, not showing up. Actually in the case of the Bing Bar for the IE distribution, one thing I plan on doing on the site over the next few days that will alleviate that particular issue is show the file breakdown by version. So, those 2 files in question might still show up, but will only show up under the version of WOT that they were installed with. As you mentioned, you used to include Bing with WOT, and the list of of version to files will then show that. Which I hope makes more sense to the users as then they will be able to see more of a chronological view of what files are included with which version.

Per the WOT-for-Internet-Explorer-12161-program.aspx, I'll install it one a VM and see why it is not capturing those files and make the appropriate modifications.

Also, for the software detection stuff per malware, this is an ongoing issue that I thought was resolved with KAV for Boost. With Should I Remove It?, however, this was never an issue. Ok, so per KAV, at once point a few months back KAV was hueristically detecting Boost. After dealing with KAV Labs, the issue was quickly resolved by them and was a false positive. (Below is confirmation from them.) The issue here I assume is that KAV's engine is powering a whole bunch of AV products including ZA, The bigger issue is that while KAV can distribute new sigs and engines quickly, some of there partners are not quite as good, as such, the heuristics engine in those partner products have not yet been fully updated to reflect the FP issue. As you can imagine this was a major pain point for me. Considering I have pretty in-depth knowledge of the AV industry (I am the creator of GIANT AntiSpyware, later MS AntiSpyware > Windows Defender, which I sold to MS in 2004), it pains me to see my own software improperly flagged.

Anyway, this is the current email from KAV explaining the FP resolution:
RE: Re: Re: Re: [VirLabSRF][False alarm on a file][M:1][LN:EN][L:0] [KLAN-646612291] [KLAN-646684590] [KLAN-647162324] [KLAN-647179539]
newvirus[at]kaspersky.com

Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.
Thank you for your help.

Regards, Radu Motspan
Virus Analyst

10/1, 1st Volokolamsky Proezd, Moscow, 123060, Russia
Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 XXXX
hxxp://www.kaspersky.com hxxp://www.viruslist.com
Hope this helps clarify the issue.

So, per above, I will investigate the WOT files and get back with the findings to this forum.

Also, and I know I've asked this a bunch of times, and do apologize for me persistence, but what can I do if anything to help get the shouldiremoveit.com domain reputation back in order? The feedback I receive from users (we hit over 600,000 over the weekend) has been very positive (it has been featured on Kim Komando, CNET, Tom's and hundreds of other very reputable places). The software is 100% free, there is no registration, I don't even ask for so much as an email address. However, when users report that WOT flags me for having a low Child Safety reputation, of course you could understand my concerns. At any rate, any help here would be very much appreciated as I am pretty much at a loss.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm moving forward with this and giving shouldiremoveit.com a positive rating.

The owner is taking steps to improve, troubleshoot and bug fix the software and I see no reason that the website should have a negative rating from WOT.

I started this topic and feel partly responsible for the negativity given to shouldiremoveit.com and would encourage everyone who has given a negative rating due to this topic to reconsider their WOT rating.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

<quote user="evilfantasy">
I'm moving forward with this and giving shouldiremoveit.com a positive rating.

The owner is taking steps to improve, troubleshoot and bug fix the software and I see no reason that the website should have a negative rating from WOT.

I started this topic and feel partly responsible for the negativity given to shouldiremoveit.com and would encourage everyone who has given a negative rating due to this topic to reconsider their WOT rating.
[/quote]

They are advertising their software for removing the program DXGL, which is my project. Unfortunately it is suggesting to use their software instead of the built-in uninstaller. When I commented that was a bad idea, their moderators did not publish the comment. Using a third-party uninstaller could potentially leave leftovers if it bypasses my uninstall script.
Page at hxxp://www.shouldiremoveit.com/DXGL-105800-program.aspx

hotdoge3

Post by hotdoge3 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am

clean very old scan bad news is all good see
https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/1dced1ffdec60b41c55e9fc1fd5694236d2ae39db405640da460ccf6d75f0bd1/analysis/1414225408/
URL: htxxtp://shouldiremoveit.com/
Detection ratio: 0 / 60
Analysis date: 2014-10-25 08:23:28 UTC ( 0 minutes ago )

http://www.urlvoid.com/scan/shouldiremoveit.com/
Safety Reputation 0/30

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/cb3a18e0fd308b80b1980d92ed47776b3b9b3a522598985bbba6c5886a9f8074/analysis/
URL: htxxtp://www.shouldiremoveit.com/
Detection ratio: 0 / 60
Analysis date: 2014-10-24

as for WOT on IE it was me that not like and take off as, I use firefox 99% of the time & Opera 1% of the time

Good info for my new PC to get Manufacturer Bloatware off

did try the tool Download, it's 100% FREE! only ok take off as not need

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/shouldiremoveitcom/new-yok-Select-StateProvince/shouldiremoveitcom-computer-software-scam-new-yok-new-york-1090134
CNet.com/shouldiremoveit(dot)com ?

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/shouldiremoveitcom-fake-charge-and-bad-program-c711344.html

Fake charge and bad program (It free so do not pay)