registered account proposal

RE: registered account proposal

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Do we need to design a protocol to give some kind of attention to that and - if so - how ?
Idea's : Are we going to create a platform of "honoured members" ?
And who should be the honoured ones ?
Platinum and gold members only ? ( Don't think so, that's too easy thought )

Good point , Dutch Mountain =

Maybe a sticky

In Memorian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Memoriam

For any one nominated by another member of the community
I am also brain storming , and by the way I am sorry about your brother in law : - {

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
Trusted source scorecard references
[/quote]
OK - I'm convinced!

@others - notifying WoT (and other fora) will not even be on next-of-kins' priority lists.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 am

<quote user="dutch mountain">
Idea's : Are we going to create a platform of "honoured members" ?
And who should be the honoured ones ?
Platinum and gold members only ? ( Don't think so, that's too easy thought )[/quote]
Death, as inevitable as it is, was one of a few examples of a user becoming inactive.

As for honoring members...
Leave that for the living, the... active ones.
You can only do for the living, let the dead "rest in peace."
There should be no memorializing - that is not what this Community (or this discussion) is about and it should not become that way WOT only works when people invest into it through their ratings, along with those (the minority) who desire to participate on the forums. No user is "better" than another. Metaphorically, think of it this way, we're all lit candles, our activity keeps the flame burning, for those users who become inactive, for whatever reason, allow the candle to burn itself out.

marco2981

Post by marco2981 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am

<quote user="c۞g">
Death, as inevitable as it is, was one of a few examples of a user becoming inactive.

There should be no memorializing - that is not what this Community (or this discussion) is about and it should not become that way WOT only works when people invest into it through their ratings, along with those (the minority) who desire to participate on the forums. No user is "better" than another. Metaphorically, think of it this way, we're all lit candles, our activity keeps the flame burning, for those users who become inactive, for whatever reason, allow the candle to burn itself out.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this.

WOT works and grows only with active member.
WOT works with "Scorecard's ratings evolution". If a site had a problem and solved it, the scorecard needs to change... only ACTIVE users can make it change. OUTDATED comments from inactive user posted years ago are bad.

Armored

Post by Armored » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 am

<quote user="c۞g">
WOT needs to set up a system to "clean house"
No one likes old clutter...
[/quote]

Agree, completely.

Many scorecards are filled with old out-dated comments/rubbish/crap that will stay there to time indefinite, UNLESS a clean up system is put in place. This problem is particularly undesirable when such comments are left on scorecards with "comment votes disabled" because nobody is able to down-vote such useless "clutter"

31Y13

Post by 31Y13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:15 am

Hi,

good thoughts;
but before removing comments (or ratings) there should be a email notification first. A lot of services sent one if a user was not logged in for 12 months. For WOT a period of 6 month might be useful. There are a lot of reasons why someone leaves for a long time and might be interested to return.
I am not sure if comments should be removed (if a user never returns) because they are part of the sites history, no matter if the user is active or not. For the case of false positives or outdated comments/ratings, there is the dislike button and forum for evaluations.
Maybe there is a need of supervisors for inactive accounts (more work for moderators!?) who could remove obvious fp's. But if these would be introduced site owners would complain to remove all false positives...not that good solution I guess.

A public board message from admin which tells that a user is not active for (6) months +forum link for Site evaluations/discussions could be also helpful for site owners.

There is no need to remove ratings because they fade out by them self after a few years.

Furthermore WOT should protect accounts from hackers, who try to brute force accounts, which are inactive. E.g after 3x wrong entered password no further attempts should be accepted, an email to the account owner send. If this is not that way already. A lot of users have simple passwords and if a hacker gets an account with high rating reliability he could make a lot of damage.

We already had a similar topic here: https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/7641-why-inactive-wot-users-not-deleted

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I completely agree with c۞g's proposal. Allowing the user to notify WOT about "inactive" status is good, but if they still aren't responding to the owners of domains that have changed hands because they aren't logging in, you have the same problem. A year is a long time to not even use the browser add-on.

I would like there to be an RSS feed for comments to my board in case someone is trying to reach me and I'm not going to have time to participate for several weeks. OPs deserve timely replies to reasonable requests.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Also, there are public lists of domains that have expired and are available for registration. I would propose that any domains that remain unregistered after the domain owner's right to reclaim his domain has completely passed should have their scorecards reset to zero, with a note that this domain was no longer registered as of .___ (date).

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:09 pm

<quote user="c۞g">

[/quote]
I guess the memorial idea was not that good , just brainstorming
So I agree , let the dead rest in peace !

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:56 pm

<quote user="alphacentauri"> A year is a long time to not even use the browser add-on.[/quote]
There is a difference between an inactive user account and having the add-on installed and active in a browser.

If User_X has WOT installed, creates a forum account posts 10 replies on the forum, rates and comments 50 domains in 2010, then in 2011 they decide to log out and not allow the add-on to log them in automatically. So they still have WOT installed and may still be rating sites anonymously, but the old account is now inactive Since this is 2013, the registered account has been "dead" for 2 years Assuming the methods proposed in the OP were in effect, the scorecard comments would have been deleted in 2012 (1 year inactive) and the ratings would be deleted this year (2 years inactive) however the user name remains, the forum posts remain.

Another scenario
User_Z forgets their original account:user name which was using a Hotmail email account created back in 2008
The user creates a new registered account using GMX email address in 2013
Any scorecard comments and ratings made by that 5 year old inactive account should be flushed.

Yet another scenario
Microworker Your_5bucks_Reputation_Manager
creates a new account every 3 days, rating and commenting on 20 domains to attempt to earn reliability.
As time moves forward, this person has created approximately 487 user accounts in the past 4 years.
If the OP methods proposed were in effect, 1/2 of those accounts would be flushed though the user names remain.

Last but not least
Let's not forget about [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29 t=_self]sock-puppet accounts[/url]
I would like there to be an RSS feed for comments to my board
The PM system is set to deliver messages as private by default.
An RSS feed is public
If an RSS feed were created, it would only display posts which were manually ticked non-private