registered account proposal

c۞g

Bump

Post by c۞g » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Now that WOT 2.0 is publicly released...
Before the Dev's go on vacation, maybe they could respond to the OP and hopefully implement suggestions?

RE: Bump

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:33 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
Now that WOT 2.0 is publicly released...
Before the Dev's go on vacation, maybe they could respond to the OP and hopefully implement suggestions?
[/quote]

+1

Brothers

RE: registered account proposal

Post by Brothers » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:55 pm

I kind of like c۞g suggestions with the away note. This can be helpful in some ways.

Timo

Post by Timo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:10 am

Sorry for so late reply. We have paid attention to this forum thread even though we haven't participated.

<quote user="c۞g">
Moderator accounts with no activity for 6 months should be reverted back to normal user and the moderator privileges reassigned
[/quote]

This one is ok. We don't need any specific systems for this. There are not many forum moderators and we can manually remove rights if she/he hasn't been active for a while.

<quote user="c۞g">
Accounts with no activity for 1 year should have scorecard comments automatically deleted, not forum posts, just scorecard comments.
[/quote]

There are some valid cases when user hasn't used for for a while and comes back, user is sick or has some other things to do. Another thing is that their comments might still be valid and it might give some information to why sites reputation is how it's when someone goes to scorecard. What we could do is to "archive" old comments so they are not visible on normal scorecard view but can be accessed if needed.

<quote user="c۞g">
Accounts 1 year old having: should be deleted freeing the user name for registration.
[/quote]

I don't like this idea, because there is really no reason for doing it. I might not use some service for years and then suddenly start using it. Then it's convenient that I don't have to register again and be afraid that my username has been taken.

<quote user="c۞g">
Accounts inactive for 2 years should have associated ratings deleted as well; they hardly have affect and are out-dated. Also these user names should display Inactive below the user name and above the Activity level on the user profile.
[/quote]

One must remember that website user account and add-on account are basically different things. We have some users who are active raters but don't have account on our site. Another point is that user ratings weight goes down and automatically ignored if she/he doesn't use his add-on. Ratings are still there if user wants to check then but they don't affect the reputation. I would hate if my old ratings would go away and I have to re-rate it when I go to some sites that I remember rating. It would feel like there is something wrong with our system.

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Deleting accounts for the purpose of freeing the user name for re-registration is bad practice. Do you really want a new c۞g or evilfantasy rating/commenting scorecards and posting in the forums? Just think of the damage it could do not only to WOT but also on a personal level. I know I would be very upset if my user name was re-issued to anyone. WOT would loose a lot of credibility if they allowed that.

If someone were to be away without logging in for say 2 or 3 years then I wouldn't be against WOT restricting access to the account by the account holder until they re-activate it, if ever. Reason being is that if someone does leave never to return someone may figure it out and 'hack' the account in order to abuse it.

Freeze an account under certain curcumstances? Yes.
Freeing the account/user name for re-registration? No way whatsoever.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:55 am

I just noticed this thread now. I read through to the end, and duly noted the response by our good Timo of WOT. I was satisfied with Timo's response. Of the four parts of the original proposal, Timo's post would
  • definitely make part 1 an action item,
  • probably make part 2 an action item,
  • require no further action for items 3 and 4
Timo's post date is Sept 2013. It is now March 2014. My question: What is the current status of all 4 parts of the proposal now?