Mass Rating Tool Madness?

occn

Mass Rating Tool Madness?

Post by occn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm really disappointed with the use of the mass rating tool to rate a legit website with the phrase "Counterfeit goods scam " , seemingly with no other data or indication of research available.

Although I admire the effort of WOT and other crowd source raters, if this is commonplace it would seem the project is more than willing to throw a few babies out with the bathwater. Accusing a large crowd of a felony with nothing to back it up seems irresponsible, at the least.

If this is not commonplace, please accept my apologies for generalizing (ironically what I'm accusing WOT of) and I will continue to recommend the browser add-on.

Armored

RE: Mass Rating Tool Madness?

Post by Armored » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:49 pm

<quote user="occn">
I'm really disappointed with the use of the mass rating tool to rate a legit website with the phrase "Counterfeit goods scam " ..........
Accusing a large crowd of a felony with nothing to back it up seems irresponsible, at the least.
[/quote]It's obvious what website your talking about. I agree that statements should be backed up, and have often been disappointed with inaccurate/irresponsible use of the MRT as well. In regards to whether it's common place or not, well it depends on the user. In other words, some users do it habitually and others (most I think) don't. WOT encourages it's users to back up their statements with evidence, when this doesn't happen especially when using the MRT. . the user is in error. Problems arise when users don't individually verify the websites they rate.

I think you should still recommend WOT to others, and encourage them to actively rate websites so that they can express their views as well. The more users that rate websites the more accurate ratings become.

Also it would be advisable to learn as much as you can about WOT, and understand things such as "confidence indicators" the little "person icons" on the left hand side of each rating component. The higher the confidence level, the greater chance of an accurate rating. I noticed the website your frustrated about has very low confidence-that means people should be very careful when considering the accuracy of that rating. Actually some websites with high confidence are rated inaccurately-That's why one should never base their entire decision on whether they should visit a website or not solely on a WOT rating. Another factor to consider although it doesn't apply in this case, is the fact that the definition of Trust is very broad.

Personally I view WOT as simply another layer of internet security. Or you can even say another point of view on things.
I don't view it as the complete basis or final say as to what websites I should or shouldn't visit.
There have been times when I have seen a red circle in a search result, and still proceeded to visit the website after my own personal analysis of it.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 am

@occn - it's not commonplace as suggested by the word "Madness" in title of your OP about a single web site.

Regardless of the righteousness of the uncited "legit website", would it seem less "mad" if the comment "Counterfeit goods scam" was posted without using the Mass Rating Tool? It's the same comment either way, and it has no affect on the aggregate rating score for the site. You can see comments, but you can't see ratings from the commenter or anyone else.

Many people think the MRT has some kind of "Massive" magic power. It does not. While it does facilitate rating and commenting many similar or identical sites (for which "Mass" = "Many"), it is only as powerful as the computed reliability of the person who uses it. His ratings are weighted according to his reliability regardless if he rates by hand or with the MRT.

NotBuyingIt

RE: MRT misrepresented, misunderstood; irrelevant to incident

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:05 pm

<quote user="myxt">@occn - it's not commonplace as suggested by the word "Madness" in title of your OP about a single web site.[/quote]\

Indeed, the association between the MRT and the incident turns out to be entirely coincidental and irrelevant. The offending scorecard remark has evidently been removed.

Colorado.Chris

Post by Colorado.Chris » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Bad guys literally churn out hundreds to thousands of bad domains every day.

Good guys can only rate so many domains manually without wasting an entire day & developing Carpal Tunnel.

You do the math. WOT is by no means a perfect solution. Neither are any of the top users infallible in assessing a website. There are appropriate channels to use if one feels like something is unfair/inaccurate.

marco2981

Post by marco2981 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:22 pm

It was MY mistake not everyones mistake.
You contacted me via PM on my board
You could give me the time to login and see your message instead of attacking people who use MRT.

I apologize.
Marco

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:31 pm

greencoffeebuyingclub.com
  • is a "closed site" - it's a Simple Machines forum which requires registration to view; unless you register you will not see content, so it's difficult to simply browse to the domain and offer ratings.
  • resides on a shared IP along with many other domains, some are "good" or "legitimate" sites, many others are spam domains or fake online "stores"
    http://bgp.he.net/ip/74.119.234.100#_dns
  • with green coffee being spamvertised by so many "affiliates" it's easy to see how this domain can be mistakenly added into MRT listings
    example: https://encrypted.google.com#q="green coffee diet"

occn

Post by occn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:12 am

<quote user="marco2981">
It was MY mistake not everyones mistake.
You contacted me via PM on my board
You could give me the time to login and see your message instead of attacking people who use MRT.

I apologize.
Marco
[/quote]

Hey, my apologies Marco. I really wasn't trying to call you out, or attack anyone personally. I want to thank you for leaving a comment so that I could contact you about it, and your quick action. I didn't mention you or the site directly in the OP but I realize now it was obvious at the time.

I am concerned that these obscure websites are some of the most vulnerable to rating error, and the combination of a red circle and a comment like the one posted could have a serious impact to them, regardless of confidence rating. The MRT rating and comment was over 3 months old, and involved an unknown number of websites that didn't deserve it.

Please consider this a clumsy plea for caution, innocent until at least slightly proven guilty, and a general appeal to the section of the user agreement that mentions accuracy.

I do appreciate the thoughtful responses. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read it, and/or dig around and reply.

Jtaylor83

Post by Jtaylor83 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm

I am tired of this 30 character minimum requirement to comment on a website.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

<quote user="jtaylor83">
I am tired of this 30 character minimum requirement to comment on a website.
[/quote]

You're able to post a useful and informative comment under 30 characters? Not bad!