Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Boonsiri

RE: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Boonsiri » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:00 pm

<quote user="sami">
Can't you accomplish the same by editing your previous comment, appending the updated information, and changing the category if necessary?[/quote]I don't think so. See the example I gave on mauddionne.com. The nature of the domain has not changed, so I cannot change the category. If I would add the suspension acknowledgement by editing the original comment, it would make the comment so long that it would have to be scrolled to make the acknowledgement visible. Moreover seeing the acknowledgement labeled as "other" simply looks more friendly than when it is added under the flag "phishing/scam".
There will be changes to the category system in near future. You will learn more as soon as we have a preview ready for testing.
On second thought I do NOT want to split the category Phishing/Scam.
A lot of the pharmacy domains are scams in that they offer fake medicine or don't deliver. Some (but not all) also commit credit-card fraud or other malicious acrtivities. Therefore in many cases for those domains both the label "scam" and "phishing" may apply.

Armored

Post by Armored » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 pm

<quote user="timo">
What do you think about scorecard hints? Are they helpful?
[/quote] The hint given for the comment category: "Phishing or other scams" would have been helpful IF the comment category only had "phishing" in the description. At present the "hint" contradicts the "category"-because it gives the impression that the comment needs to be specifically about a "phishing" attack and not some "other scam"-this is not helpful at all.

Rather than solve this problem by adjusting the "hint" to include some more information about general scams. Please consider dividing the category into 2-this comment category has been confusing people for a long time.

The two categories could be:

1) "Phishing"

2) "Various Scams" (just as an example).

I can't comment on the usefulness of the other hints as I haven't read them yet. But I like the idea of encouraging people who comment to be more accurate with what they type - that is helpful.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm

<quote user="boonsiri">
If I would add the suspension acknowledgement by editing the original comment, it would make the comment so long that it would have to be scrolled to make the acknowledgement visible.
[/quote]

You could always add the new information to the beginning of the comment and leave the category unchanged.
Moreover seeing the acknowledgement labeled as "other" simply looks more friendly than when it is added under the flag "phishing/scam".
You have a point. However, two comments might be confusing since the comments are not necessarily shown in chronological order. Someone reading the scorecard may see the phishing comment first before noticing the acknowledgement.
On second thought I do NOT want to split the category Phishing/Scam.
We are planning on allowing one to choose more than one category in future, so you can select both without posting more than one comment even though the categories were separate.

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

<quote user="sami">
You could always add the new information to the beginning of the comment and leave the category unchanged.[/quote]That still would leave the positive comment under a negative flag
You have a point. However, two comments might be confusing since the comments are not necessarily shown in chronological order. Someone reading the scorecard may see the phishing comment first before noticing the acknowledgement.
No confusion there. A link like http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/maudd ... t-61121613 which I send to the Registrar highlights that comment, doesn't it? I do not think there will be many other people interested to read the scorecard after the domain has been suspended.
We are planning on allowing one to choose more than one category in future, so you can select both without posting more than one comment even though the categories were separate.
Glad to read that there is 'good' news too :\

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:37 pm

The one comment restriction does not sit well with me and is too restrictive imo. This will present problems when you say comment on the category that best suits the site. What happens when you are stuck between having to decide whether to rate a site green or red ie: it's entertaining and safe to visit yet red because it spams or contains adult content, etc.?

Surely the better option would have been to keep the 3 comment rule until you implement the option to add more than one category to a comment.

Next, will the current length of the comment still be restricted in the character length baring in mind that with more categories allowed in the comment this can increase the amount of evidence needed to provide justification.

How will the new scorecards show a comment that includes both green and red categories?

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:01 pm

I'm unsure if the following situation is a very good illustration of a dilemma regarding comment restrictions:

I've seen spam email promoting com-cnnnews.net (scorecard). "Spam" is the topic of several of its scorecard's comments and of several cautions by WOT trusted sources.

I suspect that the diet and make-money-at-home webpages which I browsed on the site are scams. I added the only scorecard comment about scams.

I've read sysadmins reports that several antivirus services detect malware on the site.

The scorecard's comment statistics might give the impression that it is only connected with spam. The site is currently rated very orange-red and the word malware may be located twice with the texts of comments if one hunts hard enough. Nevertheless, I'm wondering whether WOT users of average diligence are better protected if they are led to believe that the site is only connected with spam. (See also http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/losew ... nswers.com )

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:47 pm

<quote user="timo">
Yes we have new comment restriction, only one comment per scorecard. This change should increase scorecards readability, since all potential issues are now under one comment. It also means that you need to choose the most relevant comment category for comment. We might change category selection in future so that you can select multiple categories for one comment.

What do you think about scorecard hints? Are they helpful?
[/quote]

Hi =

I imagine that change is always difficult at the beginning, even if it is helpful, but with on going on conversation we can make the transition smoother, for instance as Sami mentioned, new categories would be formatted and that is good

I rated a site in which they sell counterfeited products therefore is a scam and though phishing is a potential problem, in reality there is no way for me to know

I also wonder about this part
Always comment according to your real experiences...
One of those criminals, could simply say: "well you never used my products" even if you could easily spot a fake a counterfeited Gucci for a fraction of the merchandiser's worth

Would I have to come out with more than a description of the product?

I believe that the information provided is a good guideline, but mostly to users that do not have any idea or what is Phishing or Spam, But in reference
you are responsible for your comments
, Would not be better to define comment to an opinion?

Certain subjects, can be ambiguous enough to have different ratings or in some countries, leaving your comment can leave you, open to civil suits, but if the emphasis were to be in "opinion of the user ", it would be easier for most users around the world

As for one comment, I imagine that adding to the comment words like "pop-ups" or "scam" could be a way, but there are too many sites, in which one comment, would not be enough to warn visitors of problems that can be avoided

Well that's my two cents

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:03 pm

To: WOT-staff.

I am rather puzzled about the implementation of the "1 comment" only rule.
I know that as far as ratings are concerned, WOT is a meritocracy. With all the talk of the WOT "community" and promoting transparency, I assumed that in other aspects WOT is a democracy: no dictations, but user-participation.

I understand that WOT wants and needs to deal with the problem that some users rate 1 domain in 3 [green]green[/green] or [red]red[/red] categories: to [green]push[/green] domains or to [red]discredit[/red] domains.
In a democracy I would expect that this problem would be addressed by having WOT-staff starting a thread on the subject, in which proposals are made on how to best deal with the problem at hand. Users then could give feedback on proposals and contribute other possible solutions. After all, it are the active users who have to work with the comment-system, so it would make sense that the solution to the problem meets the needs of the users.

What happened instead is that in this case WOT-staff implemented this wretched "Only 1 comment-per-user-per-scorecard"-rule as "the" solution. Users noticed that they suddenly were no longer able to submit more than 1 comment.
This "decree" was put in effect without any user-participation I have been made aware of.

Only after users have started a thread on this subject, WOT-staff has suggested work-arounds for flaws in a system that should never (in this way and structure) have been implemented, but not showing any sign of even considering to - temporary - reverse the comment system to the old situation, until there is a proposal for a comment-system that is suitable, workable, for the majority of WOT-members who have to use it.

Offering another change, in which users can apply different categories to one comment, sounds not bad to me.
However, this could and should have been offered as a separate proposal, on which users could also give feedback before a decision is made to implement it or not.
Offering this multiple category option, will not help to soothe the implementation of the faulty "only 1 comment"-rule.

I therefore kindly request WOT-staff to revoke the "Only 1 comment-per-user-per-scorecard"-rule immediately, and to start a discussion on how to handle the nuisance of multiple [red]red[/red] or [green]green[/green] comments, in order that a solution can be found that not only solves that problem, but also keeps commenting workable for the majority of WOT members who submit comments with good intentions.

Thank you in advance for giving this request serious consideration.

Best regards,
/B.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:09 pm

<quote user="superhero58">
I also wonder about this part

[cite]Always comment according to your real experiences... [/cite]

[/quote]

It does not mean that you have to have been tricked. Counterfeit sites Scam sites, Malware sites and so on have very often clear sign and you can be sure with the right experience, skill or training that they scam
Would not be better to define comment to an opinion?
althoug for many users it often bases on an opinion only, you should try to back them up. So opinion might be correct, but imo it sounds like "just tell us what you would say, dont bother to think.."

So i think comment would be better. But thats judt my opinion ;)

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 pm

So i think comment would be better. But thats judt my opinion ;)
Sehr gutes Spiel von Wörtern mein Freund : - }

But you are right , even opinions should be back up with facts , and yes freedom of speech , should be respected
Thank you Armored for the tread , it was needed