Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Armored

Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Armored » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:22 am

Seems like users are no longer able to post more than 1 comment on scorecards, regardless if "comment votes are disabled" or not.

Is this a new feature or a bug?
Has anybody else noticed this?

It could be a good idea if it's a feature. .

RE: Are comments now restricted to 1 on ALL scorecards?

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 am

I just experienced that too. :o( I certainly hope not as often 1 comment is insufficient when rating a site covering all areas where problems lay.

The restriction also happens when using the MRT.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 am

Furthermore, there are hints how to write a good comment, Which is good. But it seems a copy and paste comment is not recognized as a comment. Yo need to write at leats one letter.

Armored

Post by Armored » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Furthermore, there are hints how to write a good comment,
But it seems a copy and paste comment is not recognized as a comment.
[/quote] Yes I noticed those two things as well, but I wasn't happy with the "hint" given for the category: "Phishing or other scams".
The "hint" only gives an example for a "phishing" comment, but it ignores the fact that the category also includes "other scams" Actually that entire category need to be divided into 2-I was going to open another thread to complain about that. . :)

<quote user="issviews">
I certainly hope not as often 1 comment is insufficient
[/quote] The problem I have noticed is that some users go overboard when they get "angry" with a website owner asking for a review and try to put as many [red]red[/red] comments as possible in order to get revenge. . .Sometimes the comments don't apply OTOH sometimes they do. . So yes I see your point and I have also felt the need to put more than one comment on scorecards in the past. . . Sadly some users will always abuse scorecards.

A compromise could be restricting it to 2 comments rather than 1, or at least allow two comments for the [green]green[/green] categories. . hard to get the balance though. . .

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:09 am

Agree to the scam part. Often noticed that many users only read "phishing", too.

Timo

Post by Timo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 am

Yes we have new comment restriction, only one comment per scorecard. This change should increase scorecards readability, since all potential issues are now under one comment. It also means that you need to choose the most relevant comment category for comment. We might change category selection in future so that you can select multiple categories for one comment.

What do you think about scorecard hints? Are they helpful?

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 am

<quote user="timo">
What do you think about scorecard hints? Are they helpful?
[/quote]

I think in general it's a good idea. Although very often people have problems to read the scorecard, no matter how big letters are :/

I haven't checked all hints, but the issue mentioned by Armored is correct. You should also mention the "scam" part. Or you should make an exrta categorie for scam, although it's ok to mix it iwth phishing. Maybe you should change their posititon, like "Scam (e.g. phising) or something like that..

Boonsiri

Post by Boonsiri » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Bad decision.
I write comments on (mostly pharmacy-) scam-domains at WOT, and include a link to the scorecard as supporting evidence in removal requests to Registrars. When Registrars have suspended an important domain or acted fast on a request, I often write a 2nd comment as an acknowledgement, which I then link to in my "Thank you" mail to the Registrar. With this new rule, I cannot write such acknowledgement without deleting my original comment on the domain. For example:
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/maudd ... t-61121613
I have found that Registrars appreciate that their efforts are being acknowledged. Especially with until recently "not-very-responsive" Registrars I consider this as a useful incentive for such Registrars, which shows them that "good deeds" do not go unnoticed. And, there are more cases where it may proof necessary to write an additional comment.

There should be better ways to prevent that users contribute 3 comments on the same domain, which is - as I assume - the reason behind this too hastily implemented limitation.
Maybe a maximum of 2 comments within the same category ([green]green[/green] or [red]red[/red]) with a delay of an x amount of days? Imho an additional comment in the category "other" should always be allowed as a 2nd or 3rd comment. I also do not see why it has now became impossible, that a domain that was commented as "bad" (e.g. Phishing) gets an additional comment "Good site" mentioning that the phishing-link has been removed, or to point out, that there has been a previous listing (or even a FP) by a trusted source.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

<quote user="boonsiri">
When Registrars have suspended an important domain or acted fast on a request, I often write a 2nd comment as an acknowledgement
[/quote]

Can't you accomplish the same by editing your previous comment, appending the updated information, and changing the category if necessary?
NB I agree with the suggestion by Armored to split the category "Phishing or other scams" in 2 categories, "Phishing" and "Scam".
There will be changes to the category system in near future. You will learn more as soon as we have a preview ready for testing.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:59 pm

while editing a scorecard comment I see displayed:
[cite]Please include the reason for your opinion into the comment.

Do not spam.

Always comment according to your real experiences: you are responsible for your comments.[/cite]

just a personal remark:

I do not think that a spammer will take it into account.
However better safe than sorry ; )