An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Myxt

RE: An unhappy site owner started an email campaign against WOT

Post by Myxt » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:38 am

<quote user="sami">... this page ...[/quote]
Nice. (The little guys with cubic heads and Popeye arms are rather odd.)
Low contrast makes it hard to differentiate the perimeter text box pointers from the background.
When specific graphics are moused over, floating text could appear with more information.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 am

<quote user="sami">
Speaking of that, have you seen this page? We are trying to find a way to explain the concept in a more understandable way to those who might not be as technically savvy as the folks here on the forum. What do you think?
[/quote]

Reading the most comments on the mozilla page looks like that indeed most people just don't understand how Mywot works. And it seems that even people who come here and are asked to read the faq/wiki don't understand how mywot works. I'm not sure whether they don't read or are not able to understand. So i think it'S a very good idea to find an easy way to explain Mywot (next to faq/wiki, which explains it correctly and in good way).

The page looks funny :) The explanation looks understandable and more compact. Hope it will work

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 am

<quote user="superhero58">
I agree that is not German or Russian ................ I donn't know about an American , but these idiots do not have countries :{

In the other hand =
"They claim that scores cannot be manipulated, yet that is exactly what I was doing the last year to great success. No more, I quit"
I believe that a mole
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_%28espionage%29
Have been working inside WOT , the funny thing is that HE was watched for a year , by some of us : - }
And no , he was not able to manipulate ANYTHING , so stupid HE is among other things
[/quote]

Please don't use abusive or insulting language, regardless of who you're referring to.

Armored

Post by Armored » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 am

<quote user="sami">
have you seen this page? What do you think?
[/quote] I think it's excellent-the graphics are nicely done & help explain key points about WOT in a simple way.
It will help many in this forum when explaining to people over and over again: "how WOT works"
I'm certain that I and many others will be forced to provide links to that page in the future. . .

Overall that page is:
Image</a>

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:40 pm

<quote user="myxt">Low contrast makes it hard to differentiate the perimeter text box pointers from the background... When specific graphics are moused over, floating text could appear with more information.[/quote]Myxt is correct about the need for greater contrast to improve "readability". I also believe that hover over, floating text would be useful. I understand why you might not include this just yet, not until you finalize the page design. When you do, some little title="blahblahblah" HTML markup in each

Code: Select all

< img src=... >
would probably be well-received.

The design, with the little round figures running around and such, looks quite fine to me.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 pm

As for negative publicity, and outright email campaigning against WOT... sigh. You are facing two separate problems:

1. It is difficult to explain a recommendation system that is algorithm-driven. WOT is a combination of human, crowd-sourced input and website safety metrics gathered from trusted sources, or so I presume. The particulars are proprietary to mywot. But it wouldn't make any difference if the details of the algorithm were fully disclosed! I don't believe it would, because it wouldn't be understood by most people. Furthermore, even those who understood it would not necessarily believe it was applied consistently. without bias.

2. WOT is trying to provide a service that is a public good. Such roles are often performed by utilities, or agencies of the state, any state, or government. Such determinations are tolerated, but grumbled about by those effected. The problem now is that many people are barely willing to accept their own government's authority, and laws about online safety. I'm not referring to the USA exclusively. I personally believe that entities such as CERT are among the most honest, regardless of political regime, of any part of government. For example, Iran's CERT is helpful and constructive about informing the public, everywhere, of consumer-relevant online problems that they identify. I know that I am safe when I visit their website.

WOT is not an infosec entity of a sovereign nation though. As a result, it is far too easy for disgruntled website owners, or worse yet, people perpetrating all manner of fraud via online activity, to be critical of WOT, rather than try to change their business practices. Legal authorities have the power to enforce changes, regarding unethical business behavior, but WOT does not. The loudest voices are the ones that are heard. Not many are needed to cause trouble.

So. Those are the two problems that WOT must overcome. An increased understanding of how WOT works will help, marginally. Something should be posted, but it will never satisfy everyone. That is tolerable. The other issue is more problematic.

I am active in a lot of places online, regarding matters of due diligence. I really need to find a job! Instead, I have WOT on my watch list on Alexa, AboutUs, SimilarSites, Quora, Wikipedia and LinkedIn. I write reviews, up vote, down vote etc. The mywot reviews on Alexa are just abysmal, primarily due to disgruntled website owners who say all sorts of unfavorable, usually implausible things. Logically, it makes no sense, as WOT would have been shut down long ago if we were as biased and wicked as some say!

The worst complaints are shadowy, as there is an essential missing piece: Motive! What motive would WOT have for giving a website a poor rating? None! Yet rationality hasn't stopped such accusations, about online safety, or very different matters, in the past.

c۞g

off topic

Post by c۞g » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:03 am

<quote user="sami">
Speaking of that, have you seen this page?[/quote]

I think it should be referenced on and linked to from the new home page.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 am

The worst complaints are shadowy, as there is an essential missing piece: Motive! What motive would WOT have for giving a website a poor rating? None! Yet rationality hasn't stopped such accusations, about online safety, or very different matters, in the past.
Money , Javelina
Some owners have lost their illegal income, due to W.O.T, they have tried everything possible to get back in business, but their reputation thanks to WOT, has being damaged

They are losing a lot of money, so the best way to hit WOT is by discredit it, with lies and the bigger the lie, the better for them

But as you pointed out, WOT does not have a motive, so they are creating one for us and they are willing to spend money to do that

hxxttp://www.worthyseo.com/seo-store/wot-web-of-trust-issues

htxxtp://www.worthyseo.com/seo-store/buy-10-positive-wot-ratings

htxxtps://www.facebook.com/Anti.W0T

hxxttp://www.complaintsboard.com/profile-811896

Spreading the truth that WOT, protects you and for FREE , from scammers and that any site that have been rated poorly, has every right to be reevaluated and help improve their reputation, unless is a site that in our opinion, we do not trust, by inviting everyone who cares to participate in the forum, and see by themselves how WOT works, by doing this, we will defeat them and yes, we are the good guys

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Honestly, if I saw this post and i'd never heard of WOT, I would not have a clue.

Hows this guy doing anyway with his hate campaign? Is it working?

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 am

<quote user="bigjobs">
Honestly, if I saw this post and i'd never heard of WOT, I would not have a clue.

Hows this guy doing anyway with his hate campaign? Is it working?
[/quote]

Well , maybe, I hope you are not disillusioned with it
In the other hand , you are invited to see how truly WOT works in here you can see by yousef and give your opinion
Welcome : }