Can you get WOT for AOL???

c۞g

WOT account - FYI

Post by c۞g » Sat May 30, 2009 12:39 pm

you do not need a username per PC or per browser.
just ensure the auto login is enabled in WOT->Settings->Advanced and then click the Synchronize tab in your profile.

I have 2 PC's and WOT installed on IE and Firefox, on both with just this username.
-------
Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
G7W {G.O.M}
http://g7w.net/

Cheater87

Thanks for the answers. I

Post by Cheater87 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks for the answers. I got WOT for IE on the computer.

phantazm

Welcome back!

Post by phantazm » Sat May 30, 2009 1:16 pm

We were kind of wondering what had happened..?
But welcome back in any case... :-)

YoKenny

That's good news

Post by YoKenny » Sat May 30, 2009 4:09 pm

A small change is good but FF is a big change.

Family PC

She just wants to stick with

Post by Family PC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:59 pm

She just wants to stick with AOL and that is how the computer got infected. She wen to a site my sis could go on on a mac. Then the comp got a rouge program.

c۞g

AOL

Post by c۞g » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:22 am

AOL is an ISP, once you're connected to the Net, you can use any browser you like: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera
WOT can be added to IE and FF for protection.

Also, get an antivirus: www.free-av.com
-------
Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
Thank you all
G7W {G.O.M}
http://g7w.net/

demonluo

u should use IE/FF coz many

Post by demonluo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:53 am

u should use IE/FF coz many program or add-on doesn't like AOL...

wehaveitall

Also a browser

Post by wehaveitall » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:17 am

AOL also offers a browser, that is an edit of a much older version of Internet Explorer.
Where do you think the annoying narrator that brought you the "You've got mail" line came from? :)

We rate the websites, the WOT staff creates, and advertises the add-on, and together, we make it all happen.

Seattle John

IE/FF

Post by Seattle John » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:33 am

IE/FF...what's the difference? Lots! (but I'm an OLD Netscaper, so I am predjudiced
IE offers total compatibility with Windows, (as does FF). The biggest advantage (other than minor issues, like SPEED) is that FF offers hundreds of 'Add-ons'. Besides the speed advantage, you can customize it to YOUR uses.

app103

Most AOL lovers that are

Post by app103 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Most AOL lovers that are stubborn and won't switch browsers are used to a certain type of interface that most other browsers do not have.

It's very hard to go from an mdi based browser to a tabbed one. If you have never used one for a long length of time, you just won't understand what the big deal is.

While I didn't have that tough of a time switching from AOL (I was a Firefox early adopter), I had to install Opera to ween my daughter off of it. It's the only other browser I know of that has an mdi mode like AOL's browser. Also has a built in email client like AOL and can handle AOL mail when set up to access AOL's IMAP mail service (can always use their webmail if you can't figure that out). And it has a built in IRC chat client (no, it can't access AOL chatrooms, but there are plenty of better rooms on IRC). Only things it's missing are a multi-protocol IM client and a media player.

Just for kicks, I took a screenshot of it with a little bit of AOL humor.

No matter what browser she uses, there are a few things you are going to want to do:

1. Make sure Flash is kept up to date.
2. Make sure Shockwave is kept up to date. (recent update requires uninstalling older version and rebooting before installing new one, to get rid of an exploitable vulnerability)
3. Make sure Java is kept up to date.
4. Uninstall all older versions of Java.

When you upgrade Java, it leaves the older versions installed on the computer and some of them have known security vulnerabilities that are taken advantage of by malware to get on your pc. Virtumundo/Winfixer is notorious for exploiting old Java runtimes, and almost every case of infection can be traced to it. Other malware does it too. And it doesn't matter what browser you use. Firefox, Chrome, and Opera are just as vulnerable with the old Java versions installed.

Personally, I like a browser with flashblock, noscript, and I keep Java turned off unless I need it for something I know for sure is safe. My 2 browsers of choice are K-Meleon for my slow 12 yr old pc and Firefox for my much newer main pc.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, AOL's browser is not based on an older version of IE. It uses an IE based browser object that is as up to date as whatever the currently installed version of IE is. (I am a developer that has written similar software with the same type of browser object embedding)

It also can use some IE plugins,but only the ones that have features that can be accessed from the right click context menu. (stuff like IEspell, Admuncher, Flashget, Netnotes, Surfulater, etc.)

I am not sure if WOT has an entry on the menu that shows up in AOL's browser, because I don't have WOT installed in my IE, since I never use it except for testing pages I code myself, locally. If it does, then she could access ratings pages on WOT by right clicking any link and selecting the option. That's probably the only WOT feature that will work in AOL.

I would suggest buying and installing Ad Muncher if she is going to be stubborn about it and not switch to another browser. That will at least offer more protection from the malicious flash ads and block a lot of the worst sites. (bonus is that it blocks stuff in ALL browsers and even other software like IM clients, RSS readers, media players, even yahoo widgets)

I would also install Spybot Search & Destroy and use the immunize feature and their hosts file to vaccinate the PC from a lot of nasties. (this is something that has to be updated on a regular basis)

As far as having protection similar to noscript, there are some firewalls that can do it for IE based browsers. Zone Alarm is one that I know of that can. They introduced it in the paid version of v4, which was quite a number of years ago.

I don't know what version of AOL she is using, but the most recent one (AOL Desktop) has a feature that can be turned on that does a quick scan for the most common browser & search page hijackers every time you run the browser. If it finds anything, it automatically downloads a removal tool and gives you a popup from the AOL tray icon telling you to close your browser and click a button to run it.

While all of this won't guarantee 100% protection (nothing really can), it will close a lot of the holes and when combined with some common sense it will greatly reduce the chance of the computer getting infected with nasties.