I can't use WOT anymore

I can't use WOT anymore

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:30 pm

And I'm not talking about technical issues.

My problem is with the politically motivated attacks on certain sites that are not bad websites. I'm not even talking about the fringe side of politics where you can find that tint of anti-Antisemitism. I'm talking about subjects like Copyright Law or GMO topics.

It's not like we're getting people saying, "I disagree with the opinions of the website, but it's a perfectly legit safe website." I'm literally seeing attacks on websites that are perfectly fine because these people think they're being activists *rolls eyes. "Blahblah website is the most evil website ever. It brainwashing children and blah blah blah owned by the evil corporations."

From the time I've used WOT this problem has become progressively worse. I can't continue to subsidize a platform for people that have no other intention than shutting down an opposing opinion.

----

Judging by some of the discussions going on in the reputation discussion section of this forum, a lot of people think this activity is fair game. So I expect to receive flak for this post.

Anyway, best of luck to you WOT.

Brothers

RE: I can't use WOT anymore

Post by Brothers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Hey NoLasagna, i totally respect your view, but WOT holds huge number of users worldwide so not every act is expected and people have their own opinions although they might seem offensive as you mentioned. But don't you think this diversity of opinions can be a motivation to you to hold on and stay? The world is full of racist and extremist, so do we dump it?! I recommend you reconsider your position, persist the vexation and work on changing. I'm happy if i can give any help.

liquid_dragon

Post by liquid_dragon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:21 pm

I've seen the same problem NoLasagna described in the comments that people post regarding various sites, however, I have not seen examples where the overall score a of site is greatly impacted. Maybe I just visit more mainstream sites that get enough balanced rates. I wouldn't give up on WOT entirely because of this. Remember, the scores are just a suggestion. You are welcome to visit the site if you decide to. I have visited sites that WOT marked as questionable and found them to be perfectly fine, I then add my rating with comment to provide a objective view of the site. Ultimately it is your decision but I personally still find value in WOT and would not let politically motivated activists change my behavior (BTW - I disagree with activists on all sides, argue with facts, logic and data, not protests, boycotts, and slogans).

One last thing, what each person finds unethical or hateful or untrustworthy is a personal decision. They may be an activist but if they honestly believe that site blahblah is unethical they have the right to say so and let everyone know how they feel. You and I have the right to ignore them. This is true diversity, tolerance, and freedom of speech. I'll defend your right to say/do things I find offensive but I expect the say from you.

polypalethel

Post by polypalethel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm

I kind of tend to agree with the OP.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 am

Where behaviour such as the OP described is observed, please report it to either a moderator or the admins

http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Forum_Moderator

http://www.mywot.com/en/contact

OctoberInTheChair

oh for the.................................................

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:54 am

Steven, NoLasagna is referring to this: https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/37118-red-rating-monsanto-com-is-shame-for-web-of-trust and the scorecard ratings/comments for Monsanto. I guess some people feel the need to tell others how to rate based on their criteria as to the definitions of "trustworthiness", "vendor reliability" and the like or they take their balls and go home.

I'm not here to debate this, just update you. I have stated my position and made my rating and I fear further discussion is just gonna degrade into nastiness. I'm gonna "opt out" right here; I've had enough of it over there to risk getting stuck in it again.

~~~Oct.

MysteryFCM

RE: oh for the.................................................

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:52 am

<quote user="octoberinthechair">
Steven, NoLasagna is referring to this: https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/37118-red-rating-monsanto-com-is-shame-for-web-of-trust and the scorecard ratings/comments for Monsanto. I guess some people feel the need to tell others how to rate based on their criteria as to the definitions of "trustworthiness", "vendor reliability" and the like or they take their balls and go home.

I'm not here to debate this, just update you. I have stated my position and made my rating and I fear further discussion is just gonna degrade into nastiness. I'm gonna "opt out" right here; I've had enough of it over there to risk getting stuck in it again.

~~~Oct.
[/quote]

Cheers.

Colorado.Chris

Post by Colorado.Chris » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Seeing how WoT is meant to be community-driven, I think such a variety of opinions is a good thing. The rating system still very much relies on reputation so new users who only wish to smear a website will not have much impact on it.