What is ads.js?

Sami

RE: What is ads.js?

Post by Sami » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:18 pm

<quote user="issviews">
You will make this feature public with clear guides on turning it off, wont you?
[/quote]

Like I said already, the notification window has a "Hide forever" link, which can be used to disable the feature. I am not sure how much more clear it can be made. Also, there's no guarantee this will ever become public. It's one of the features we are testing, most of these never make it.
I note you did not mention how you will choose good sites to be shown to those with this feature (once it's mainstream)!
We are now only testing how people react to the feature, but should we get that far, we'll let you know.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:06 pm

<quote user="sami">
Like I said already, the notification window has a "Hide forever" link, which can be used to disable the feature. I am not sure how much more clear it can be made. Also, there's no guarantee this will ever become public. It's one of the features we are testing, most of these never make it.

We are now only testing how people react to the feature, but should we get that far, we'll let you know.
[/quote]

I will finish up with this: Had this not been brought up by an observant developer, this experimental feature would have been unknown. As you are aware, there are many people using WOT that do not have the skills to see these hidden bits of code or understand what they do. This thread and my questions would not have gone so far had WOT previously posted about this inclusion. Whilst I understand that WOT is developing and new features will be incorporated or tested, it is better to notify the members before hand to negate any concerns. It's things like this that can lead to members questioning the integrity of WOT. Not everyone will be as forgiving or willing to accept these practices. Being a trust based web tool, WOT should be forthcoming and lead by example.

Sami

Post by Sami » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

<quote user="issviews">
Being a trust based web tool, WOT should be forthcoming and lead by example.
[/quote]

We announce features when they are published, not when they are being tested with a small number of users. If someone is interested in what we are currently working on, the add-on is open source and all changes are in the GitHub commit history. We are not hiding anything.

You may want to compare this to the operating system and antivirus software you're happily using, both of which are probably closed source and contain nothing but "hidden bits of code". Compared to that, I'd say we are being extremely open.