The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

the_f18hornet

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com

Post by the_f18hornet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 pm

<quote user="apollo702">
Cnet didn't used to be this bad. Somewhere between point A and point B someone made the decision to turn to the dark side. Years ago I knew far less about how the tech industry really worked. Not only did I learn along my journey but over the years I had observed a growing list of problems regarding Cnet.

I am far from the only one who believes it. Cnet once was trustworthy but over the years it devolved into nothing but a pit of snakes.
[/quote]

I heard that too, but now they want to give you adware to give you advertisements to make revenue.

Brothers

Post by Brothers » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:13 am

Absolutely right. I stopped downloading from their site for about 2 years. They should understand some moral policies and that the user wants to download one program not a whole package.

IchigoKG

Post by IchigoKG » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:56 am

yep download.cnet.com, have really adware in downloads, a prefer download adwarecleaner or other programs for security of your PC from forospyware

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 am

I rated Cnet.com for WOT back in 2011. Once a great site, it now has malware embedded in it's downloads like toolbars and similar adware. Here is a link to the WOT scorecard for the site:

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cnet.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc

Cnet.com should be downgraded by WOT to Yellow for caution. The site is nowhere near what it once was. If you guys still think it has issues, as I do, give it the appropriate caution rating. Additionally, WOT's new category list, may help other WOT users see specifically why Cnet is no longer trustworthy for downloads.

Satch

PS. I have updated my WOT review for Cnet.com. Link here:

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cnet.com/comment-28908898#comment-28908898

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:32 pm

I just reported the download section of Cnet's site to Mozilla Firefox and to Microsoft in IE, for malware included in their downloads.

Satch

JackE1930

Post by JackE1930 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I can't say that I hate C-Net or download dot com, but the last time I downloaded some software to try it out, I later discovered some other software had been installed on my computer on the same date I did the download. It didn't take much detective work to figure out that some how the installer on download dot com had slipped something past me with out my knowledge. I'm wondering with all these posts with bad experiences with them, has anyone taken the time to register a complaint with C-Net and direct them to this blog to let them know that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with download dot com's installer? I know that PC-Magazines download site used to be free also, but then they started charging a fee to use their service. I suppose that C-Net could do the same thing if they are having problems with the costs of their download service being more then the revenue they are raising with advertisements.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:32 pm

<quote user="jacke1930">
I can't say that I hate C-Net or download dot com, but the last time I downloaded some software to try it out, I later discovered some other software had been installed on my computer on the same date I did the download. It didn't take much detective work to figure out that some how the installer on download dot com had slipped something past me with out my knowledge. I'm wondering with all these posts with bad experiences with them, has anyone taken the time to register a complaint with C-Net and direct them to this blog to let them know that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with download dot com's installer? I know that PC-Magazines download site used to be free also, but then they started charging a fee to use their service. I suppose that C-Net could do the same thing if they are having problems with the costs of their download service being more then the revenue they are raising with advertisements.
[/quote]

Excellent idea, Jack!

Someone at Cnet needs to be informed about this so that the site can be cleaned of malware. The malware embedded in these downloads HAS to be hurting their business. Cnet's downloads used to be great, but now the malware on almost all of them have really hurt the site. WOT users can also help by reporting the download section of the Cnet site within your browser. I use both IE and Firefox, but I am sure Chrome has a way to report malware on a site. The more people who notify the "Big Three" browser's about this, the site can be flagged for investigation, so that the owners of Cnet can be aware of the malware, remove it, and get the site back to a positive reputation.

Satch

manictiger

Post by manictiger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

<quote user="seatsea">
As far I as I have seen, it only does that on some downloads and there's always a link to not have the "cnet" downloader with adware
[/quote]

It's not supposed to do that on ANY downloads!

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:50 pm

<quote user="manictiger">
It's not supposed to do that on ANY downloads!
[/quote]

I agree,

Either one of two things need to happen:

1.) At the very least, Cnet.com's rating needs to be lowered to Yellow by the WOT community. OR

2.) Evidence of all Malware removed from Cnet.com's downloads needs to be tested and confirmed through a virtualization assessment of the download portion of Cnet's site.

Until one of these things happen, the current "Excellent" rating assigned by the WOT community, to Cnet.com's site, does not provide an accurate representation of the webpage.

Satch

the_f18hornet

Post by the_f18hornet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:56 am

rated accordingly
Wait, no, I am happy with [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cnet.com/comment-77320469#comment-77320469 t=_self]This[/url] Rating
#nofilter