The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

Satchman

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com. (Malware With All Downloads)

Post by Satchman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Thank you!

I wonder if through tests, the big anti-virus companies are flagging the Cnet download toolbar as malware? They should be doing that. Do Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, Avira, AVG, show the problems with Cnet's download section? Once they do, and the more people that rate down Cnet because of the problems with the malware, with My WOT, the better the rating will realistically represent the problems with this site. WOT's rating composite for Trustworthiness, needs to be reduced to at least "Yellow" as soon as possible.

This is because Cnet has no intention of removing the malware that plagues the downloads of that site. Thanks for all your comments and help! They assist in making the web safer for all of us!

Satch
[/quote]

Dear WOT,

We had another user talk about the problems with Cnet malware downloads in the forum. That link is below. WOT Mods may want to merge the new topic below, with this one: "Why I Hate Download Cnet.com".)

https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/45058-cnet-is-no-longer-a-credible-site

Satch

Satchman

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com AND download.com

Post by Satchman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey WOT,

Most of you probably already know this, but the site download.com is now partnered with Cnet's download section. This means the same malware, toolbars, and other crap from Cnet.net is also at download.com Both sites, at the very least, need to be rated down to Yellow, Here is a link to download.com's comments. Neither of these sites should have 'Excellent" WOT ratings!

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.cnet.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=popup-donuts

Satch

PS. Update: I assigned a Suspicious (Yellow ) rating for Cnet's main page and a Poor rating for the download's section of Cnet's site. It would be helpful to the WOT community if other users did the same to get the excellent rating down.

Shadow Gamer

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com

Post by Shadow Gamer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:03 pm

I'm going to attempt to trash a Windows VM with adware for fun, and the goto place to install adware for me would be at cnet.com. Man, that place is corrupt.

the_f18hornet

Post by the_f18hornet » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Here quickly change your rating [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.cnet.com#rate t=_self]here.[/url] I advise all of you to rate it yellow respectively.

MysteryFCM

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com AND download.com

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:23 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Hey WOT,

Most of you probably already know this, but the site download.com is now partnered with Cnet's download section. This means the same malware, toolbars, and other crap from Cnet.net is also at download.com Both sites, at the very least, need to be rated down to Yellow, Here is a link to download.com's comments. Neither of these sites should have 'Excellent" WOT ratings!

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.cnet.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=popup-donuts

Satch

PS. Update: I assigned a Suspicious (Yellow ) rating for Cnet's main page and a Poor rating for the download's section of Cnet's site. It would be helpful to the WOT community if other users did the same to get the excellent rating down.
[/quote]

Cnet has owned download.com for over 10 years ;o)

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:25 pm

<quote user="the_f18hornet">
Here quickly change your rating [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/download.cnet.com#rate t=_self]here.[/url] I advise all of you to rate it yellow respectively.
[/quote]

Greetings WOT,

I feel that as we are all a part of the WOT community, we have a moral responsibility to computer users to get Cnet down to AT LEAST a Yellow rating. I wish their was a fast way to do this! When sites like Cnet.net are rated Excellent, it turns the whole WOT software into an unreliable joke. Most of the time, the ratings are an accurate reflection of the safety of a site. However, Cnet.net and it's sinister Cnet.net/download site, by having a high rating, do not accurately reflect what WOT is about, keeping and making the Internet a safe place for everyone.

Satch

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:27 pm

It's nothing to do with the WoT software itself, but with the users. Put plainly, it's likely CNet users themselves rating as green (in reality, we'll never know), nothing WoT can do about this if the ratings are legit, without it going way out of the remit it set out, and without leaving the meritocracy status it currently uses.

As for the security vendors themselves, it's highly likely they've got them whitelisted, just as they whitelist CDN providers.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Here's more complaints at Cnet's own forum about the malware problems:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12543_102-580600/abandon-cnet-installers-repeatedly-full-of-malware/

Part of the WOT problem is that sites that seem to have been rated good for years by millions of people using WOT, are very, very hard to rate down, when intentional malware hits. That BS excellent Cnet.net WOT rating, reflects what the site USED to be when millions of people trusted the downloads eight years ago. This is an example where WOT could use some emergency intervention system by its administrators to downgrade and red flag a site known for viruses and malware infestation when visualization testing warrants such intervention, and the site owners do nothing to remove the problem.

Using WOT's algorithmic rating system, I wonder how long it is going to take to get this site down-rated? What do WOT users need to do this? A hundred people to assign a red rating, or at least a yellow one? A thousand? A hundred thousand? A million? The current fraudulent Excellent Cnet.net WOT rating does reflect flaws in WOT's current real-time protection system. A bigger problem is finding solutions to fix these flaws.

Satch

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:29 am

<quote user="satchman">
Here's more complaints at Cnet's own forum about the malware problems:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-12543_102-580600/abandon-cnet-installers-repeatedly-full-of-malware/

Part of the WOT problem is that sites that seem to have been rated good for years by millions of people using WOT, are very, very hard to rate down, when intentional malware hits. That BS excellent Cnet.net WOT rating, reflects what the site USED to be when millions of people trusted the downloads eight years ago. This is an example where WOT could use some emergency intervention system by its administrators to downgrade and red flag a site known for viruses and malware infestation when visualization testing warrants such intervention, and the site owners do nothing to remove the problem.

Using WOT's algorithmic rating system, I wonder how long it is going to take to get this site down-rated? What do WOT users need to do this? A hundred people to assign a red rating, or at least a yellow one? A thousand? A hundred thousand? A million? The current fraudulent Excellent Cnet.net WOT rating does reflect flaws in WOT's current real-time protection system. A bigger problem is finding solutions to fix these flaws.

Satch
[/quote]

I've no idea about the WoT algo, so can't speak about that I'm afraid. That's a question for Sami/Timo.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:02 am

<quote user="wotpolice911">
Does Cnet get money from people downloading thru tht dwnld manager ?
[/quote]

Yep