The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

Satchman

RE: The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate down

Post by Satchman » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:44 pm

<quote user="androidftw">
I've never had issues with CNET... just never use their download manager.
[/quote]

Yea,

However, the problem is, Joe and Jane six-pack aren't going to know that. Therefore they will wind up using the download manager, and getting infecting and wonder, "Why did I get infected when the WOT composite color for this site is Green?" I don't know how WOT can work around this problem? Users should not have to walk through eggshells wondering if I site is safe or not with a green WOT rating. I wish their was a way for WOT administrators to lower the color rating composite for Cnet.

My concern is that because so many people rated it excellent years ago, that the color level of trust may never go down.

Satch

MalwareFire

Post by MalwareFire » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I remember a year back when my dad's laptop was infected with a rouge, I download SUPERAntiSpyware from download.com with the installer(I had no idea this was adware sense download.com was safe a few years back than). And SUPERAntiSpyware ended up detecting and deleting the adware. Very ironic.

the_f18hornet

Post by the_f18hornet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49 am

<quote user="malwarefire">
my dad's laptop was infected with a rouge,
[/quote]

He got infected with the french red? It's called "Rogue".

opjeshke

Post by opjeshke » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm

I have downloaded from it, no crap...

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:13 am

<quote user="opjeshke">
I have downloaded from it, no crap...
[/quote]

This is possible,

However, users still have to walk through eggshells to make sure they don't get the malware embedded in Cnet's downloaded installer. My views of the malware dangers of this site have not changed. In fact, the question that begs asking is, why download anything from Cnet at all and run the risk of an infected machine? Use the manufactures' website. Only download from this manufactures' website if you know and trust the company. Cnet's downloads, for the last six years, have proven to be malware infected and do not deserve to be trusted.

Cnet refuses to do anything about their crap infested malware downloader. Why even give them the time of day? I sure won't until they can get back to what they used to be before the CBS buy-out. Once upon a time, a very long time ago, Cnet's downloads were trustworthy. Not anymore.

Satch

Malwarebust

Post by Malwarebust » Fri May 02, 2014 11:21 pm

download.cnet.com is terrible. so much viruses everywhere. Years ago, I thought CNET was good, but now, it hates us. Life lesson learned: don't trust download.cnet.com again.

drsumit

Post by drsumit » Sat May 03, 2014 1:46 pm

I have been a long time user of Cnet.com and downloaded so many softwares from that site. Initially when the installers full of toolbar "offers" were first introduced, they were annoying to be sure, but at least harmless as long as you didn't click through too quickly or accepted the default installation instructions. But the last 2 or 3 times I downloaded software from cnet the installer has tried to inject malware into my system but was immediately detected by Kasparesky and malwarebytes.

I don't know what has happened to the service we once knew, whether it was taken over or just corrupted from the inside. WHAT I DO KNOW IS THAT OVER THE PAST YEAR, CNET HAS CONSISTENTLY DETERIORATED UNTIL BY NOW IT IS A MALWARE DISTRIBUTOR. I am bewildered as to why Cnet has turned into one of the bottom feeders of this world, but whatever the reason I am not going to download anything from that site again .

Fritz2200

Post by Fritz2200 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:36 pm

I don't know what has happened to the service we once knew, whether it was taken over or just corrupted from the inside.
It was taken over by the likes of CBS Interactive which means it is run by "old media" executives who have no idea about Internet culture or etiquette.

Their television stations probably promoted people like [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/45062-kevin-trudeau-infomercial-guy-sentenced-to-ten-years-in-prison t=_self]Kevin Trudeau[/url] every day at around 2am. Is it really surprising CNET knowingly infects users with its malware?

drsumit

Post by drsumit » Sun May 04, 2014 12:53 am

<quote user="fritz2200">
It was taken over by the likes of CBS Interactive which means it is run by "old media" executives who have no idea about Internet culture or etiquette.

Their television stations probably promoted people like [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/45062-kevin-trudeau-infomercial-guy-sentenced-to-ten-years-in-prison t=_self]Kevin Trudeau[/url] every day at around 2am. Is it really surprising CNET knowingly infects users with its malware?
[/quote]
Hmmm ... sad - a great site ruined by CBS ! :-(

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed May 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Why in the world does Avast, perhaps the most popular Anti-Virus in the world, link its download on it's homepage to Cnet's download section?

This is AWFUL! The ink below leads to Avast's download section of its website. But don't click on the download link at Avast's homepage! It leads to Cnet's download of Avast!

www.avast.com/en-us/index

I often have to tell people who choose to use Avast for their Anti-Virus choice, to download it from another site, such as File Hippo or Major Geeks.

Shouldn't Avast be called out on this practice? What is to stop people from going to Avast's own site and find out that the download of Avast is mirrored to Cnet, and users get Avast, infested by Cnet's own malware-ridden download manager?

Isn't their a better way to promote, of all things an anti-virus, site than this? WOT should find a way to work with Avast to solve this issue!

What is interesting is if you Google Search Avast and click on the Green WOT download part of Avast, it actually takes you to the safe download without going to Cnet-see here:

http://www.avast.com/en-us/download-software

Now, why can't Avast provide that same link on their Avast.com homepage? It would make users who download Avast that much safer!

Satch